formula making babies fat?

There are quite a few studies linking ff to obesity. I don't think it's rubbish, I think any parent choosing formula should be aware of this as it helps to take steps to prevent it.
Fwiw I take any interpretation of a study from the Daily fail with a pinch of salt but from what was outlined my initial reaction is that I wonder which areas were looked at. Glasgow for example is my home town and obesity in areas of Glasgow is affected by multiple factors including the shocking diet.
Another issue for me is whether formula companies are taking enough notice of the research available. Are they guilty of ripping customers off by marketing their products as healthier, follow-on appropriate and containing x,y and Z while filling more expensive brands with additives which are harmful in the long run?? Are parents who feel guilty because they buy cheaper brands or feel under pressure to move from breastmilk or first milk formula actually choosing the healthier option even though it is the cheaper one?

OASN: I'm so tired of hearing that x was healthy despite Y and therefore Y is fine. My dh's granda smoked like a chimney until he was 80+ and was a picture of health until he died in his sleep. How many people wouldtake this as proof that smoking is harmless??

I can't remember where I read it now so can't provide you with a link (sorry) but I read a study once that said that BF babies did have lower body weights as children but feeding children with a lower protein formula greatly reduced the chance of them being overweight as children -ie it was the high protein content of formulas that was linked to obesity, not FF itself. I remember rushing off and checking the side of the Aptamil tub and being relieved to see it had a lower protein content than was recommended in the study. This goes with what this study is saying too. It's not formula feeding itself, it's how the formula is made. So if you're feeding your baby a standard formula (ie regular first milk) I wouldn't worry.
Problem is, in the time formula has been around there have been huge changes in public health too. Childhood obesity is now a massive problem. I think it's interesting that in my hubbys generation (1960's babies) the majority of whom where FF'ed, there was little childhood obesity but then again they used to still play outside and had no computer games, internet etc. So even if the formula made them more likely to be heavier, exercise offset it. It's only in recent years obesity has become such a problem, as activity levels have fallen. This is surely because, whether you were BF'ed or FF'ed, whether you are genetically predisposed or not, if you eat salad and run marathons you are extremely unlikely to be fat and if you sit on your bottom all day and eat cake you probably will be.
And I agree Trumpetbum that the whole 'I'm OK thing' can be annoying. But that's the problem. Unless you are a scientist and look at thousands of children over a long period of time, it's very hard to see these differences between smokers/non smokers or BF'ed or FF'ed children. They are virtually undetectable to most people in daily life as most people/babies will be absolutely fine what ever they do or however they are fed. I think this is why people doubt scientists, as they can't SEE it themselves.

That is utter rubbish. I was formula fed. I am a size 10- 12 harldy fat is it? My sister was FF she is skinny so was my borther. Aidan was BF and he is on the smaller percentile of weight
xx

OASN: I'm so tired of hearing that x was healthy despite Y and therefore Y is fine. My dh's granda smoked like a chimney until he was 80+ and was a picture of health until he died in his sleep. How many people wouldtake this as proof that smoking is harmless??

:thumbup:

Exactly. WHY do people think like this? It really puzzles me!

It does state that BF'ing can help to later prevent obesity. I've read lots of info on benefits of BF'ing and that was one that was medically studied.

I was formula fed and have had weight issues my whole life...but I'm not really blaming it on being FF either. There were a lot of contributing factors to my weight issues. I haven't really gone into depth on FF, so I don't know much about it causing weight gain etc..

This was also a study about calorie and vitamin enriched formula versus standard formula (not breast milk). So to say 'formula milk can make your child obese by the age of 5' is not a fair headline. It should be 'enriched formula could make your baby obese etc'. As the finding suggested that babies feed standard formula would not see this much of a rise. So the headline is unfair and might worry some mothers. The research is also not comparing breast fed babies to formula fed babies so it is an unfair comparison to then bring up breast fed babies as this was not what the original study was about. All in all a poorly worded article but then what do you expect from the Daily Mail?

I think if you carry on giving formula as a drink 3/4 times a day alongside 3 meals a day, then yeah baby/child has a good chance of being overweight as the calorie intake will be massive.

max has 3 meals a day and 3 bottles of formula, so he's gonna be overweight?

this is why i worry because theres no guidelines about amounts when it comes to weaning!

also, i purposely put this in the FF section not baby club so we wouldnt have the bf vs ff argument. so plz dont turn it into a debate that gets deleted. to tell me that bf will reduce the chance of obesity for my child is a bit silly i think considering he is already ff and is nearly 6 months old (just didnt find that very helpful thats all)

Me & my two sisters were FF babies... we've always been skinny & are now size 8 adults. Maybe it can make a tiny tiny contributing factor, but i think there are far too many variables to state "ff makes babies overweight" (exercise, self control, metabolism, food choice as adults, eating disorders, attitudes to food, quality of food etc). I think the best advice to preventing obesity is... if ur putting on weight, eat less & exercise more! Not "dont formula feed as babies!"

i also noticed that the article doesnt give any relevant figures: exactly how much heavier on average were these children? could b 3 stone, could b 3 lb, could b 3oz! the act of choosing not to say makes me suspicious!

I think if you carry on giving formula as a drink 3/4 times a day alongside 3 meals a day, then yeah baby/child has a good chance of being overweight as the calorie intake will be massive.

this is why i worry because theres no guidelines about amounts when it comes to weaning!

also, i purposely put this in the FF section not baby club so we wouldnt have the bf vs ff argument. so plz dont turn it into a debate that gets deleted. to tell me that bf will reduce the chance of obesity for my child is a bit silly i think considering he is already ff and is nearly 6 months old (just didnt find that very helpful thats all)

I think Jo makes a perfectly valid point even if it does not apply to your son personally. You put on weight by eating more calories than you need so if your baby is eating a lot of solid food AND not reducing formula intake, there may be well a surplus of calories. Unlike breastmilk, formula obviously does not change according to the babys age and individual requirements, so it is sensible for it to have a lesser place in a babys diet once they are taking substantial quantities of solids.

Hi hun. There is no need to worry. There r lots of mommies who r ffing here & they can guide u regarding quantities once ur LO is 6+ mnths & is fully weaned. Ur LO is not going to be overweight. Omar hs FF since day 1 & his diet didnt change since he was 7 mnths & now he's always moving around he dropped from the 90th percentile to the 75th. He's long but not chubby at all. He eats healthy with lots of varieties. It's what u feed ur baby once he's weaned that really affect his weight gain. At 6 mnths ur LO needs 18-21 oz of formula with his 3 meals (around 3 bottles). I guess u'r doing great & there is nothing to worry about. xx

I was FF and i was a chubby kid, not because i was FF, but because they used to distract me with cakes. I moved out at 16, ate more healthily and fit a size 8-10, so i don't think it has much to do with how you are fed as a baby, more to do with what you feed your child as they start weaning/eating solids

I was formula fed and i am fat so is everyone I know that was formula fed.

babys dont become over weight till they are 3 or 4 you can tell then if a child is goig to ve fat its down to hat a child is fed and how much exercise i was breast fed but was the biggest fattest baby ever bigger than my lo who is ff im niw a size 6 and very silm thayts cos i wasnt given cakes crisp choclate ect

but you said you where formula fed and not fat so why cant I come in and say I was which is true? now hows nit picking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->