Freaking out! Cold sore.

whit.

Mommy of 2!
Reaction score
So, my whole life I've gotten cold sores/fever blisters what ever you wanna call it. Now I'm freaking out because I have one and I have Sophia! You should see my hands from washing them. I won't touch her without washing them and they're cracked, swollen and bleeding because they're so dry!

Any other mommas out there get them? I'm dreading giving it to her because I know they can be dangerous. I haven't put our faces together or kissed or even hugged her properly since Sunday when it popped up.

I was doing some research on them though and it said it can be dangerous to people with eczema. Does that mean it can be even more dangerous to her IF she were to get it from me, or does it make it even more dangerous for me to be around her because she has a (small) eczema patch.

I'm freaking out. What do you ladies do when you have them?!

when i have one i dont kiss lo, or hug him closely. i wash hands with antibacterial soap and use alcohol gel

I get cold sores (when ill or stressed) and hadnt had one for a while but as we were getting LO's security tag off to be discharged from the hospital (2 days after she was born) I had one come up. By the next day I had 2 on my top lip and 1 on my bottom (most ever had all at once) yet I didnt feel ill or stressed!!! I just made sure I didnt touch them and I made sure I used antibac gel on my hands regular and I didnt kiss or go close to LO skin with my mouth.

I stopped putting things on cold sores as I found all the lotions and potions (except for Compeed patches if caught on time) just dont help whereas if left alone they tend to dry out quicker.

xx

I don't have them but remembered the advert and there is a little sticker thing you can put on the coldsore which might lessen the risk of passing it to lo.

I've never had cold sores before but just recently got one from DH. I didn't kiss LO and washed my hands frequently. She didn't get any thankfully.

Ive had them and tried not to kiss my kids , so far they haven't got them

Cold sores can pass through the placenta so it is possible LO already has the virus from you. However it is dangerous if it infects the eye area so I just avoid any kissing and am careful not to touch it and to wash my hands if I have touched it.

I'm not sure if anti-bac soap is necessary as it is a herpes virus causing coldsores but I know some of those gels have anti-virals too. I think decent handwashing action is more effective than what you wash with, which is why sometimes those gels are not recommended as they encourage people to think they don't need to wash properly.

Cold sores can pass through the placenta so it is possible LO already has the virus from you.

Actually it can't, unless its the first time you get it while pregnant as your body then produces the antibodies to fight it, a bit like the first time you get chicken pox, which again is dangerous when you are pregnant.

You cannot catch it unless its direct skin to skin...

How did I get my cold sores?

You catch it the first time by being kissed by someone who has cold sore virus on his or her face. This may have been when you were too young to remember – or just the other day. It is only caught by direct skin contact, not through sharing cups, cutlery, towels, etc.

https://www.herpes.org.uk/coldsores.html

Even if you have followed all the measures and lo still gets a cold sore, its not a massive deal. Bit like us, we have all lived with them and it is VERY common.

:dohh:

I just read the complete opposite. That it CAN be passed through those things.

when i have one i dont kiss lo, or hug him closely. i wash hands with antibacterial soap and use alcohol gel

I do this too. I've had two cold sores since having LO, I really miss kissing her when they pop up aaargh. x

:dohh:

I just read the complete opposite. That it CAN be passed through those things.

Yeah my doctor told me to use a separate towel when drying my face if I have a cold sore. Never heard of cutlery though...

Good to know I haven't passed it through the placenta though, thanks!:thumbup:

I still.wash hands well.AND us antibac gel. I got mine from and exs mum, think from cup or towel or something. She used to get them onto her neck and all sorts! Yuk! Xx

Our hv just said to use good hygiene practices when hubby had one and he did.....no problem, just commo sense no kissing etc and going hard on the washing and sanitiser xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->