Friendly reminder to all! Updated pg6 :'(

Had mine at 12 weeks PP.

It's such a little thing to do but it can make a huge difference to catch things early so I never miss one.

After labour I've lost all embarrassment anyway!

metal contraption inside my vagina while someone scrapes my cells off
LOL ill pass

I went to have mine the other day after getting the invitation letter in the post, just about to get down to it and the nurse asks how old my baby is, she then tells me they dont do them until the baby is 6 months old! So I have to rebook for 2 months time! Apparently its due to the fact it will most likely give a false result due to all the hormones changes still in process etc.... Never heard that before, I always thought it was fine 6 weeks after delivery??? xx

I was also told to get it 6months after baby was born (but they didn't say why), I imagine different countries have different rules, but as some women here have testified this over25's policy is crazy! x

I have regular smear tests done since I was 18, they are now just a part of my life, my last was last june and came back ''abnormal results'' I found out a week later it was because I was pregnant with DD :dance: I have mine to get in 4 weeks time :flow:

metal contraption inside my vagina while someone scrapes my cells off
LOL ill pass

It takes less than a minute and could save your life!! Consider your LO as well, touch wood that nothing happens but if it did at least you done all you could to make sure LO is not left without a mummy and you without cervical cancer!! The procedure is not there for fun!! :flow:

the mw told me i needed one after LO was born and i've been waiting for something to come through the post informing me ~ have I been waiting for something that is never gonna turn up?? can I just ring the gp and say I need one?? x

Although I hate it to no end I have had one every year since I was 18. Have the appointment this afternoon in fact and am not looking forward to it at all. But I agree it is something that needs to be a yearly thing. 3 of my family members have had some form of cervical cancer. It just isn't worth the risk to not get checked.

if you are under 25 you can request one i did when my son was one i was 22. i am due another vey soon. definatly not as bad as people make out!!! they save lives at the end of the day xx

Oh nooo you reminded me i need 2 make my second appt :(:(:(:(

I dont no mine was pretty awful, though it wasnt long after having lo and it was VERY painfull... :(

I went to have mine the other day after getting the invitation letter in the post, just about to get down to it and the nurse asks how old my baby is, she then tells me they dont do them until the baby is 6 months old! So I have to rebook for 2 months time! Apparently its due to the fact it will most likely give a false result due to all the hormones changes still in process etc.... Never heard that before, I always thought it was fine 6 weeks after delivery??? xx

I was also told to get it 6months after baby was born (but they didn't say why), I imagine different countries have different rules, but as some women here have testified this over25's policy is crazy! x

Just read threw. pretty pissed off my nurse made me do mine 8 weeks after lo :growlmad:

the mw told me i needed one after LO was born and i've been waiting for something to come through the post informing me ~ have I been waiting for something that is never gonna turn up?? can I just ring the gp and say I need one?? x

Just call your Gp and ask for it hun. I didn't get anything through the post either! x

Oh nooo you reminded me i need 2 make my second appt :(:(:(:(

I dont no mine was pretty awful, though it wasnt long after having lo and it was VERY painfull... :(

Go get it done hun! However painful it was, it can't be nearly as painful as having to look your young son in the eye and tell him that soon you're not going to be here anymore :cry::cry: This is what my friend has just had to do a few weeks ago x

Thats awful :( (sorry 4 what ur all going threw) I shall book it 2morro x

BFing makes it much more likely you'll get a false positive too apparently. I had a smear test done (bloody hurt as I have vaginismus), then got a phonecall, "Would you like to book an appointment with us to see the consultant on Friday about your abnormal smear?" I was like, what abnormal smear, I've not been told anything! They apparently knew the postal strike was likely to make any letter they sent offering a hospital follow-up delayed, so rang... but it hadn't occurred to them that that same postal strike was likely to make the original results letter delayed too! Lovely way to be told the result was bad :growlmad:.

But anyway, I went through all the rigmarole of the hospital appt, and then was told it had been a false positive, probably due to BFing. They wanted to see me in 6 months for another smear, standard procedure after any positive even a false one, but tbh if the lab hadn't messed up I'd have had a normal result and then at least a year before my next call-up, so I am not going until then. I'm still BFing anyway and can't cope with another false positive.

I'm 23 now and have been getting letters to go for 3 years and still haven't... I'm way too scared to know if something's wrong! I really ought to though :nope:

Hello there,

I totally agree, so sad about your friend, sorry to hear that. I know the importance of these too I have had cIN3 cells twice which means high grade cells, meaning that if they were left they would turn cancerous. I had to have them Lasered out, but a little bit of pain can save your life! Smear tests are so important!! xxx

I had severe dyskaryosis when i was 20 (so technically shouldnt have even had a smear) i had treatment for it and i am supposed to have a smear every 12 months now but i was pregnant all last year and i am again this year so have missed two already and i am worried. Please ladies get your smears potentially saving your life is worth the ten minutes of discomfort. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->