Friendly reminder to all! Updated pg6 :'(

I had my first one when dd was around 3 months and it came back abnormal :nope: got to have another one in August. Seriously though, once going through child birth a smear was nothing! The benefits far out weigh the costs.

The leaflet that was sent out with my results really surprised me. I was amazed at how preventable cervical cancer can be with the right tests. Get it booked ladies, you can't put a price on life :flower:

I got a letter to sort my first one a couple of months ago but have been scared of the pain/ discomfort ( had a speculum exam when lo was 4 weeks and it was agony!!) but this thread has inspired me to man up and book it! Good on you OP for starting it! You may well have saved some lives x

I got my first one in June (i was 22) and it was nothing! I honestly thought it was going to be painful, but it wasnt at all.

Definitely go get it done if you are due one! And well done OP for starting this thread

ETA - Im in Scotland, and they offer them from aged 20 here.

Thank you ladies for your positive responses. I have spent tonight in tears as, ironically after starting this post today, I heard tonight that my friend is now in a coma :cry:
She is free from the horrific pain so it's good I guess. But now means she's only a very small step from being gone
I really hope this thread makes at least one person go and sort out their smear. To those who've said they are avoiding doing it, please put yourself in the shoes of my friend's little boy and think twice about putting it off x

Just letting you know, im booked in for next Thurs :thumbup:
Bricking it lol

Thank you ladies for your positive responses. I have spent tonight in tears as, ironically after starting this post today, I heard tonight that my friend is now in a coma :cry:
She is free from the horrific pain so it's good I guess. But now means she's only a very small step from being gone
I really hope this thread makes at least one person go and sort out their smear. To those who've said they are avoiding doing it, please put yourself in the shoes of my friend's little boy and think twice about putting it off x

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news Ruth. :hugs: you are in my thoughts and prayers.
In Scotland you are invited for a smear from age 20 (my "invitation" arrived on my 20th birthday :dohh:) which is brilliant. I think there is a petition to Lowe the age in England too, can't find it right now.
Yes, it can be embarrassing and a wee bit uncomfortable, but I've treated many patients with cervical cancer, almost all young women. Many with young families. I'll never skip a smear.

Just letting you know, im booked in for next Thurs :thumbup:
Bricking it lol

Good woman mummyinjune!! I'm so pleased. Just think, it will be over in seconds, and you might just be saving your life! I hope other women follow your example x

Well said :) Mine isn't due until June but I'll be getting it done, despite my hatred of the dreaded speculum. I don't mind the actual smear test bit, but the moment I see the speculum I tense up (not helpful at all really!).

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news Ruth. :hugs: you are in my thoughts and prayers.
In Scotland you are invited for a smear from age 20 (my "invitation" arrived on my 20th birthday :dohh:) which is brilliant. I think there is a petition to Lowe the age in England too, can't find it right now.
Yes, it can be embarrassing and a wee bit uncomfortable, but I've treated many patients with cervical cancer, almost all young women. Many with young families. I'll never skip a smear.

Thank you lettuce, my thoughts and prayers are with her DS in turn. Yes they really should be lowering the age in England! I can't remember if it's 20 or 21 in wales but I know I was in university when I got my first invite. It's crazy when you think that they are offering HPV vaccine from age 12 for a good reason, then not making screening available til age 25! x

Well said :) Mine isn't due until June but I'll be getting it done, despite my hatred of the dreaded speculum. I don't mind the actual smear test bit, but the moment I see the speculum I tense up (not helpful at all really!).

I look away so that I can't see it coming!! x

I get offered a free chlamydia test every bloody year but haven't been able to get a smear test yet.
The thought is always worse then the actual thing, I mean yeah it's not the way I'd like to spend 15 mins but totally worth it. My mums had cervical cancer twice so I won't be stupid like my sister and I won't be missing my appointments

Girls,
I just want to remind you ALL to get your smear test done! I had mine yesterday and I realised we always seem to make it out to be worse in our heads than it is in reality don't we?

After having my cervix checked for progress a pap smear is a walk in the park. Nothing like a midwife or doctor up your foof to the elbows looking for their lost set of keys to put the little old pap smear into perspective.

I'm bumping this thread because my friend has passed away today :cry: :cry::cry:
I made a mistake regarding her age in my original post, she was 36 years old :cry:
LADIES PLEASE GO GET YOUR SMEAR TESTS DONE!!! x

This is slightly off topic but I have seen many of you post that you get an invite of some sort to get the test done. Do you seriously have to have permission to get something as important as this done? What if you don't get the invite, can you not get the service then? That doesn't make sense to me at all. Why can't you all go to the doctor when you want? When you need to?

This is slightly off topic but I have seen many of you post that you get an invite of some sort to get the test done. Do you seriously have to have permission to get something as important as this done? What if you don't get the invite, can you not get the service then? That doesn't make sense to me at all. Why can't you all go to the doctor when you want? When you need to?

I was going to ask exactly the same thing... i've had many of these tests and i'm 25. i think the first one i got was when i was 18 and became sexually active.

Surely you can go to a dr and get it done if that's what you want?!?:shrug:

And also in SA when you go for your 6 weeks post partum check up they do one whether you like it or not... it's for our own good!xx

I'm bumping this thread because my friend has passed away today :cry: :cry::cry:
I made a mistake regarding her age in my original post, she was 36 years old :cry:

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, thinking about you and I hope you are alright :hugs:

You can make the apt whenever you want. The letter is more of a reminder than an invite. I have had lots of them, I'm booking the apt on Tuesday!! I am I am I am!

:cry: I'm so sorry

I am booking mine on Tuesday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh