Frozen veg, any ideas???

charlie07

Reaction score
Hi all

I need some help with frozen veg. Here in Bulgaria, a lot of the fruit and veg are seasonal, so unless we have a one hour trip in to the city to spend a fortune on out of season fruit and veg, then I have to make do with what is available.

In the Annabel K book, she says that frozen peas are just as good as fresh. Do you think that other veg is ok as well? I have just got broccoli, green beans and mixed veg. Now, I don't really want to just do pureed broccoli or just green beans, so does anyone have any ideas what I can do with all this veg???? I've bought loads :dohh:

Thanks everyone x

i should think it will be ok babe... just not sure about refreezing it?? sorry im not much help!!

In the book, it says,

"Never refreeze meals that have already been frozen. The exemption to this is that raw frozen food can be returned to the freezer once it is cooked. E.g. cooked frozen peas can be refrozen"

This is why I am wondering if frozen veg in general can be cooked then refrozen. I am presuming yes.

But can I mix them with something, e.g. green beans, fow, but mixed with something delicious .....? But what?

I have the same book and I use frozen broccoli, cauliflower, carrots & peas. I boil what I need then re-freeze into ice cube trays. I can mix & match different types of veg as and when.

Lewis likes any of the above mixed with sweet potato/potato.

You can try a gratin of mixed veg or broccoli, I think there's a receipe in her book. Roast chicken with any of the veg you bought would be nice.

I've steamed, pureed, and refrozen frozen veggies without any problems. You can try combining the broccoli with sweet potato (it's supposed to be good). Or you can freeze them separately and give one cube of one item and one cube of another so the tastes aren't always the same.

Now for frozen peas and broccoli we actually just cook a small portion and give it to Hannah as a finger food as they are soft. The green beans didn't work well for us as a finger food.

you could make a tomato sauce using tomato and basil, to mix in with the veg with some rice or pasta, sweet potato, quinoa. mix it with mash potato and cheese?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->