Fussy Baby Support

So far today has not been too bad...maybe it is DDs b-day gift to me! ha Then again it is still early in the day, so we shall see!

Last night she slept from 9-midnight and then wanted to nurse. I nursed her, changed her diaper and then she probably fell back asleep around 1. She woke up again at 3...nursed her back to sleep until 4 and then she was wide awake. So I practically kept her at my boob to keep her quiet until 5 when DH took over. He kept her from having a total meltdown (with a few crying fits in between) until 8:00. I was able to take a 5 minute shower before she started screaming, she had to scream for a few while I got dressed and put my contacts in......worse herself out. So I put her in my carrier with a paci and she actually calmed down and slept! I walked around my block 3 times (a record as she usually will last one lap) and so we got some nice fresh air.

Now she is nursing- we will see how the rest of the day goes!

bananaz- I am so sorry your LO is taking a few steps back again. It is so frustrating when that happens. Now that she is over 3 months I am sure you keep waiting for that magic "calming down" period to begin. I know we will be!!!!

Staralfur- Yes, hopefully there will be good bonding happening since our LOs demand it of us!!! We got back from our walk so I put her down in her Rock N Play so I could get a drink of water and eat a few cherries...she was crying withing 5 minutes! lol
The sleeping part is the hardest. I eventually want LO to be able to sleep on her own just because I would love to have DH back in bed with me at some point!

MrsButterfly- Glad your mom was there to help...my mom stays a night here and there to help out too. My mom is coming over next weekend for an evening.

Thanks for the birthday wishes- hope everyone has a good day!

Glad you had a good night Lysh. Hope your lo has been good for the rest of your birthday. My lo has been pretty good today too - was so lovely to see him after a night away. He even managed to sit awake in his swing for 15 minutes with me singing and smiling at him before he had a meltdown! Thats never happened before - was even able to eat my dinner without balancing him and my plate! Maybe there's something in the air today and all fussy babies are having a day off.... ;)

MrsButterfly- Maybe they insinctively knew it was our birthdays! lol
That is funny you mentioned the swing....I got my DD to play on her jungle gym and she smiled and cooed. She played for about 15 minutes as well before getting fussy!

We had a very good afternoon...the best afternoon we have ever had! This evening she got fussy again with the on and off again crying. We just had bath time (which is one thing she loves and will not cry through) and now she is nursing. Hoping she will relax enough so DH and I can enjoy a piece of pie. We were going to get ice cream at a nearby place if DD was still calm, but I am thinking she wore out her calm period! lol

How is everyone else?

Hi All, hope you don't mind me stalking your posts, it's been so reassuring! My baby was so good the first 3 weeks and in the last two weeks, has gotten progressively fussier. I know it's gas and I'm trying to burp her more and am using the gas drops -- which seem to help a bit. I am also hoping for the magical 3-month mark! I'm also experimenting with my diet (eliminating dairy, beans, spicy foods, caffeine) to see if it will help with the gas. I also started putting her down for naps on a wedge pillow to have her head elevated (I don't think she has reflux but seems to help! if adults like pillows, why not babies too?). Just giving you all some details in case it may help your cases...

Around 4 pm, baby will normally become unconsolable till she goes down for the night around 8-9 or 10. I'm so there with you ladies, trying all you can do to get LO to stop crying. You all are doing fabulous jobs!! You all are wonderful!!! Keep it up and be strong!! Mama's are the best!!

Hey Bluesea :hi: Sorry your little girl is so fussy, but it's great that you've already found some things that help. Diet has really been the biggest key for me so far. My girl is still fussy but before I went on my elimination diet she was an absolute nightmare. So keep at it!

Today has been pretty good for me, but that's mainly because my parents had LO for most of the day again lol. I've been able to get some work done and I even went out and got my eyebrows waxed, which I haven't done in I don't know how many months. I almost feel human again!

Going back to being alone with her all day tomorrow is going to be hard. I feel horrible for saying that too - what kind of mom doesn't want to spend time with their baby? But it's true. I really do dread being alone with her :nope:

In other news, she started rolling over last night! And she seemed really upset about it, lol. Does working on new skills make babies grumpy?

In other news, she started rolling over last night! And she seemed really upset about it, lol. Does working on new skills make babies grumpy?

According the the Wonder Weeks it does! My mom said that when I first started rolling over I'd get so upset, like I didn't know what happened to me, haha. My LO doesn't seem to care at all though.

Bluesea - my lo's biggest problem is gas. He gets so upset by it. His feeds are start stop as we try to wind him as much as poss. But he can get v cross with this if he's really hungry. Screams as soon as I take the bottle away! He also only likes to lie at an angle like yours.

bananaz - don't feel bad, I totally sympathise and feel the same. Monday's are bad for me as I know I have a full week alone while DH works - I so look forward to weekends. But good for you going to get your eyebrows done. Makes a real difference spending time on "you". I'm hoping to get a hair cut soon for the same reason. Need to feel good about myself with all this baby weight to lose. Anyone else think its tougher to do with a fussy baby?? I find it tough to eat well as my free time to get food is so small I grab whatever is easiest which is mostly not the healthiest.

Bananaz what did you eliminate from your diet? Im trying a dairy free week to see if it helps.

The weekend was hard for us. He wakes up at least 3 times a night so I was exhausted. It was so hot on saturday and i went for a picnic with friends with him glued to my boob the whole time while i ran around after DS1. He started crying even if I started to lower him to the floor!! Sunday he just slept then cried all evening at my Dads. I was feeling a bit down last night at things and knowing im now without a car for a while. But theyve both been lovely today and even had some me time! DS2 is awake and cooing and smiling as we speak. I really need to stop looking at the week ahead and panicking. Taking things one day at a time really does help.

I think almost everything is more difficult to do when having a fussy baby because our attention has to constantly be on our babies.

Yesterday my LO was like a new baby- calm, happy, took normal naps (granted not on her own, but at least she slept well). I actually really enjoyed spending time with her....I felt like we got to spend time together rather than me constantly reacting to her fussiness and having to sooth her to prevent the next crying spell. I felt guilty because I was wishing so much she was an easy baby like that all the time- after a day like yesterday I can understand why mothers might love these young, newborn months. We could focus on her cuteness/sweetness rather than feeling exhausted and drained all day long. Of course I love my LO, but it was nice to have a glimpse of the 'other side'.

I have a hard time with DH has to go back to work too. To top it off, my LO ended up getting diarrhea last night......we are going to her doctor later today. :( Needless to say she and I did not sleep much, I just feel so bad because she is so uncomfortable.

Baby girl is fussing...will check in later!

Lizzywiz - Do they think I want to spend every hour of the day jiggling my little boy around to prevent a total meltdown?!
This is SO true- use some common sense, people! I would actually prefer NOT to spend my every waking moment trying to prevent a meltdown. (duh! :wacko:)

lizzywiz - We'd made good progress with sleeping the last few nights and I wanted OH to see that, but it's all gone to shit. Now he's probably just as upset and frustrated as me, and wishing we'd stayed away. I hate my life tonight.
Bumpycat - I start to worry on days like that that DH really regrets having a baby at all as he just comes home from work to a screaming child, frazzled (and often v grumpy) wife and a house looking like a bombsite. Really hope you have a better day tomorrow :flower:
I feel this way, too, like worried that DH is irritated by her or sick of the whole mess- why is that? I mean, I am pretty sure that they aren't worried that we are sick of it, you know?
It is kind of like I made myself responsible for keeping the baby AND my husband content, now. That's a lot of work and I don't think my husband even knows how much I worry about his sleep and happiness with our new baby life. I need to think more on this...

bananaz- I am afraid to go anywhere....so I barely do. I get a bit envious myself....one of my friends who has a 10 month old could not believe that I cannot put my LO down without her screaming or that a swing could not rock her to sleep or entertain her.

And it makes it even worse when people say, "You need to get out," or "I just take my baby every where." :growlmad: Yeah, I would if I could, wench!

I seriously just don't know what to do with her anymore. It feels like every time I make a little progress it all falls apart and is even worse than before :nope:

That is so frustrating-- when you think things are getting better and then the sh*t hits the fan again! Hope it is improving :hugs:

My lo has been pretty good today too - was so lovely to see him after a night away.

MrsButterfly- That is funny you mentioned the swing....I got my DD to play on her jungle gym and she smiled and cooed. She played for about 15 minutes as well before getting fussy!

We had a very good afternoon...the best afternoon we have ever had!

My daughter has what we call 'happy morning time'. She is almost always cheery for 15-20 minutes after she wakes up in the morning and it is amazing how those 15 minutes can help get me through 10 hours of off and on fussing.
Good moments are extra cherished and special when you have a fussy one!

Anyone else think its tougher to do with a fussy baby?? I find it tough to eat well as my free time to get food is so small I grab whatever is easiest which is mostly not the healthiest.

I definitely think it is harder to take care of yourself when you have a fussy baby. As I mentioned above, not only do I spend my energy taking care of her, but I also spend energy trying to protect everyone else from her meltdowns and the after effects. I am mentally and physically exhausted and it is just easier to not go out and what not. I don't eat anything that takes more than one hand and one minutes to make and that usually ends up being junk food. One day I just ate cookies all day! My husband has been great about doing the cooking, though, so I normally get a better dinner.

Lysh - how did your lo get on at the doctors? Hope she's ok :flower:

Today has been ok on the whole. Think he was suffering with quite painful trapped wind this evening as he cried through his bottle and struggled to get off to sleep. I feel particularly shattered today do really hoping we get an ok night in. Keep fantasising about how amazing it'll feel the day he sleeps through!!

Baby girl is okay.....we are switching her to soy formula and I have to eliminate dairy from my diet. We will do this for a week and see if there is a change.

MrsButterfly- Sorry you are feeling so shattered today. Today has not been an easy day here either and DH is working late. I fantasize sbout that day too!!!!!

It is almost bedtime for us....since LO stays in bed with me for now I have to go to bed when she does- she would not sleep if I was not there anyways!!!

I wish for everyone a decent night's sleep!

Bananaz what did you eliminate from your diet? Im trying a dairy free week to see if it helps.

I eliminated just about everything, lol. This is the diet I followed: https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-infants-toddlers/food-allergies/elimination-diet

Dairy is definitely the best place to start though if you are going to eliminate things one at a time. My baby's pediatrician said that it's far and away the most common food allergy in babies. But as it turns out, my LO doesn't have a problem with any of the top allergens. She is allergic to cinnamon though :dohh:

Today has been okay here. I think LO is going through a growth spurt. She's been eating a ton and took two hour-long naps, which is kind of shocking since she usually won't stay down longer for 40 minutes during the day. She's been on the cranky side but nothing horrible.

Anyway, she'll be three months old tomorrow - keep your fingers crossed that all the fussiness magically disappears overnight! :haha:

Haha- Bananaz I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!!!! I will check out that link, thank you. Good for you for being able to change your diet so drastically so you can continue to BF. That takes major dedication!

Glad your LO is getting some naps in! Any luck putting her down during her naps so you can at least be hands free for a while?

My girl had a pretty good night last night! She slept for a 4 hour stretch- was awake for about 40 minutes, then had another 3 hour stretch. That is the most consecutive sleep I have gotten since her arrival!

I have to try to go into work today to assess my classroom (I am a teacher- taking 12 weeks maternity leave but have to set up my room). This is a new position for me on top of everything and not even being there for the first 3 months!!! LO will come with me today for the brief check in, but tomorrow is a test because I am leaving her with grandma for 3-4 hours. That will be longest stretch without me nearby!

How is everyone doing so far? It is still early here, so I am unsure of my girl's mood today- right now she is sleeping on my lap.

We had a good night last night - 4.5hour stretch of sleep and then a small feed before another 3hours. Was lovely! He was then amazingly behaved this morning and tolerated quite a lot of time lying on his own. Then he got overtired this afternoon and got very grizzly until he finally fell asleep on me and napped for 2hours. Was quite nice to have an excuse to not have to move anywhere!

Lysh - hope lo gets on well with grandma tomorrow! I found it so nerve wracking leaving him with my mum for a long period of time but he was great with her. Change of scenery seemed to do him good :)

Glad your LO is getting some naps in! Any luck putting her down during her naps so you can at least be hands free for a while?

Yes! Thanks to the Rock'n'Play all of her naps have been hands-free for quite a while now :happydance: Unfortunately she's gotten a flat spot on her head so I'm going to have to try to transition her over to her crib pretty soon so I can reposition her more easily. Not looking forward to that.

Anyway, I hope your LO has a nice time with grandma and you enjoy your break!

MrsButterfly - So glad you had a good night and that your LO entertained himself for a bit! Isn't it amazing to be able to look at your baby when they're not being held and also not screaming?? I always think "Who is that kid?" lol

It's only halfway through the morning here but so far things are going really well. I just put her down for a nap and she wouldn't nurse to sleep so as an experiment I decided to set her down in the Rock'n'Play awake and just rock her a bit. I closed my eyes and counted to 100 in my head and when I opened them she was asleep! As I was leaving the room I saw her eyes flutter open again but she just looked around for a moment and then closed them again. She's been down for 20 minutes now and I haven't heard a peep. Totally shocking!

Wow bananaz that's amazing! Sounds like you've really turned a corner recently. Very jealous!

I actually thought to myself this morning while lo was just sat chilling by himself - who is this baby and what have they done with my fussy little pickle?! He soon rectified things this afternoon!!

X

Wow bananaz- progress!!!! The rock-n-play is the only chance I get at extended breaks but she is inconsistent still. Today she fell asleep in the soft carrier....I transitioned her into the Rock-n-Play...needless to say she lasted about 10 minutes! lol One day I got a stretch of 50 minutes with her in it, but that was a rarity. I cannot wait until I can consistently at least put her down for naps! Having to hold her during awake periods and naps are exhausting! Especially on days I have no help. That is so exciting that you got her to fall asleep "awake yet drowsy". There is hope for us all!!!

MrsButterfly-our LOs seem on similar schedules...except for the laying down on own for awhile. :nope:

Yeah-I am hoping she does well with grandma for that long. If she was the type of baby that could hang out in the car seat or entertain herself for awhile I would taker her with me...but I cant set up a classroom one handed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->