Game - Like it, but would never use it

Calliope - I love it but I think people would mispronounce it and the people I've said it to have laughed! I don't think DF is too keen either. :nope:

Jaxon - We know too many Jac/Jack's so that's why this one's a no-go.

Atticus. I loved To Kill a Mocking Bird : ) I love Ophelia for a girl too but I wonder if it's too big of a name for a small person

I love Atticus too and Scout. Do you think you could get away with Scout for a boy? Then again I'm from Australia too so I'd need a nickname, but you can't shorten Scout to anything really.

I think Scout works for a boy. I find they grow in to a nickname as time goes on so I'm sure one will eventuate : )

Coco - love this for a little girl but with a surname like mine she would be coco the clown! (my surname is that of a famous circus)

Coco - love this for a little girl but with a surname like mine she would be coco the clown! (my surname is that of a famous circus)

I'm so pleased people are playing! Its really fun to read all the responses.

I had to comment on this because I like Coco too, but it would be sooo inappropriate with our last name. She would be Coco Poco! That is just cruel :haha:

I have another to add to the list: Allegra. I've always liked this name, but because its such a popular allergy medication in the states, I feel like I could never use it now.

i am a big name fanatic that there are loads of names i like but also means loads i wouldnt use for one reason or another, too many to list lol but the main one is the one above. (coco)

Finnick:

My husband and I have adored this name, however now that he is a major character in the Hunger Games trilogy, I wouldn't want people to constantly ask if that's why we named him that. :( We might, however, use it as a middle name!

Loveday is probably my favorite name for a girl, but DH hates it and honestly she would grow up hated with a name like that, esp in US.

Also, Liesl, DH can't stand it. Hispanic culture where we live would have an awful time trying to pronounce it as well.

Camilla - worried everyone would think of Prince Charles's wife and not such a good association for a baby girl!
Tallulah - love it soooo much but know that everyone in OH's family hate it as they know someone with a daughter called this and have mentioned what an awful name it is for a child.
Larissa - would be shortened to Larri which I adore, but I can't very well have an Ari and a Larri can I?
Eliza - love this but I am a scientist and it is an acronym for a common type of lab test (spelt Elisa though). Not sure could take the ribbing from colleagues.
Monty - not sure why I wouldn't use it (aside from OH not liking), just wouldn't
Pirate - for a middle name, but OH said no way!
Maverick - OH hates. Not sure I would be brave enough anyway.

OP, I went to primary school with a boy called Cassian. Looking back now it is an unusual name I guess, but at the time I didn't seem to think so and I don't remember anyone at school ever commenting on it or thinking that it was an unusual name. We just thought of it as his name.

Camilla - worried everyone would think of Prince Charles's wife and not such a good association for a baby girl!
Tallulah - love it soooo much but know that everyone in OH's family hate it as they know someone with a daughter called this and have mentioned what an awful name it is for a child.
Larissa - would be shortened to Larri which I adore, but I can't very well have an Ari and a Larri can I?
Eliza - love this but I am a scientist and it is an acronym for a common type of lab test (spelt Elisa though). Not sure could take the ribbing from colleagues.
Monty - not sure why I wouldn't use it (aside from OH not liking), just wouldn't

OP, I went to primary school with a boy called Cassian. Looking back now it is an unusual name I guess, but at the time I didn't seem to think so and I don't remember anyone at school ever commenting on it or thinking that it was an unusual name. We just thought of it as his name.

Larissa was one of our names if baby was a girl (as was Arianna!), we were going to shorten it to Lara

I love a lot of ancient names like Leonidas, Cyrus, Xerxes, Ptolemy etc. Think it would be a bit cruel to give such an unusual name tho!

Ooh, good game!

Names I like but just can't or won't use:

Axel:
Love this boy name but just don't think I have the guts to give it a go...even for a sweet child o' mine.

Rupert:
Hubs loves this name but I just can't bring myself to use it. Esp if we were ever to move back to the Midwest where I'm from. Ruperts get beaten up. By Brads, Jeffs, Mikes and Daves. Just can't do it... Plus it sounds too pauncy and posh to my ears.

Hercules:
Hubs loves this name, as well. Though maybe he just says he does to make me laugh? Either way, I just can't do this to a child...especially if he's a little weedy kid who's not a natural risk-taker. Can you imagine it?! Oh, it does make me laugh. Hubs and I laugh a lot about this. At swimming lessons. Time to jump off the diving board for the first time. Plop, plop, plop. In they all go. Except my kid who remains at the end of the diving board, shaking with fear, gazing into the abyss. Teenager swimming teacher below, just about setting new record for treading water, yells up to my kid in an attempt to encourage him, "Hey, kid, what's your name?" The scared little voice replies, "Hercules". !!! Can you just imagine it?

Noah:
I like the sound of this name but it's just too Biblical for me, I'm afraid.

Elizabeth:
I love this name. The name of my grandmother who was very special to me. As much as I'd like to use this name, I feel I can't because I like names that aren't shortened. I like the name to be used as it is. And Elizabeth, perhaps more than any other name, has a huge number of nicknames that people may impose, and I feel we'd be fighting a losing battle. Maaaaybe I'll come 'round on this one but I expect not. Sniffle, sniffle.

Hermione:
I've loved this name for ages and ages. Every since meeting a very cool friend of a friend with this name. Then Harry Potter came out. Oh, JK Rowling. Why did you do this to me?! Now I can't name my clever, sporty, witty yet-to-be-conceived daughter Hermione! Boohoo.

Coco:
Interesting that this name appears on loads of people's list! I like the name very much. Then Courtney Cox named her baby Coco. More problematic is that baby's surname has these sounds. Just too similar. Too matchy matchy. Sad! (Maybe a nickname?!)

Esme:
I really like this name. I like the sound of it. And I like that it's familiar yet kinda special all at the same time. My problems with it are two-fold:

(1) As it's a French name, I feel it really should have an extra 'e' on it (for a girl's name) and I think it will be let off, dropped, some people might remember 'oh there's an extra something toward the end of her name', and add an extra 'm' instead of 'e';

(2) I just think in English giving a kid with an accent is troublesome. People don't know how to format them in Word. Sometimes it'll be included. Other times it won't be. And I think a name should be consistent and 'dependable'. Very sad because I like this name very much!

Sylvia:
I also really like this name. Sounds nice. Recognisable but not too boring or 'old'. Problem is: I just can't get the 'Oh, Sylvia?' 'Yes Mickey?' 'How do you call your loverboy?' 'COME 'ERE, loverboy' 1950s song out of my head when I hear the name. (Remember the dance studio scene from Dirty Dancing?). I do love the song and I love the name but just can't summon up the courage to name my daughter this.

Lillian:
I like the name but somehow it's too 'L' heavy. And as someone who likes to think she generally has good annunciation skills (I'm a language teacher), this is saying something. Just can't do it sadly :(

Francesca:
I do like this name but think it's just a bit too Italian for me to have the guts to use it.

A few names I'll never use because I just don't like them:

Deirdre:
Can't stand this name.

Madison/Madyson/Maddyson/Matison/Mattison/Mattysen:
Enough already.

Willow:
To me, willow is a dropsy tree that sheds branches I need to pick-up before I mow the lawn. Not a positive association for me.

India:
I'd no sooner name a daughter India than I'd name her Sri Lanka or Bangladesh.

Eve:
Too Garden of Eden for me. Also, that classic movie about multiple personality disorder. Not good. For this reason I also wouldn't choose Evie.

All I can think of now...

I love saying the name arriette from the borrowers LOL but would never use it (and I dont even know how to spell it...)

Aubryn- I have a niece named Aubrey entirely too close.
Lucas- I know far too many.
Calista- My hubby hates it.
Thaddeus- I know a little boy named this & it doesn't bring happy thoughts lol. Same with Griffin & Carson,
Brynn- Doesn't go with any middle name I can come up with.

seeing is how i just found out im team :pink: :D....

Sailor

LOVE IT but i don't know it sounds right for a child.. other than the hobby or occupation... or pet i guess its kind of like taylor? hehe

Eden - I love this name. I am in no way religeous though and I think it'd be a bit hypercritical?? Plus I have a friends who has a daughter with the same name. We don't live near eachother but still... I like names that no one I personally know has/used. I don't know any other Elsa, which is our daughters name. :)

I think Cassian is a beautiful name, but I have never known anyone named that, so to me it seems a little eccentric. Also, its more about our last name. My surname is Poco, and I think its better to avoid a hard "c" sounds in the first name.

Oh and btw, I love the name Maverick too, especially for a middle name. But, I'm in the same boat as you, DH hates it and I think it would take real guts to use a name like that :haha:

Ooh, good game!

Names I like but just can't or won't use:

Axel:
Love this boy name but just don't think I have the guts to give it a go...even for a sweet child o' mine.

Rupert:
Hubs loves this name but I just can't bring myself to use it. Esp if we were ever to move back to the Midwest where I'm from. Ruperts get beaten up. By Brads, Jeffs, Mikes and Daves. Just can't do it... Plus it sounds too pauncy and posh to my ears.

Hercules:
Hubs loves this name, as well. Though maybe he just says he does to make me laugh? Either way, I just can't do this to a child...especially if he's a little weedy kid who's not a natural risk-taker. Can you imagine it?! Oh, it does make me laugh. Hubs and I laugh a lot about this. At swimming lessons. Time to jump off the diving board for the first time. Plop, plop, plop. In they all go. Except my kid who remains at the end of the diving board, shaking with fear, gazing into the abyss. Teenager swimming teacher below, just about setting new record for treading water, yells up to my kid in an attempt to encourage him, "Hey, kid, what's your name?" The scared little voice replies, "Hercules". !!! Can you just imagine it?

Noah:
I like the sound of this name but it's just too Biblical for me, I'm afraid.

Elizabeth:
I love this name. The name of my grandmother who was very special to me. As much as I'd like to use this name, I feel I can't because I like names that aren't shortened. I like the name to be used as it is. And Elizabeth, perhaps more than any other name, has a huge number of nicknames that people may impose, and I feel we'd be fighting a losing battle. Maaaaybe I'll come 'round on this one but I expect not. Sniffle, sniffle.

Hermione:
I've loved this name for ages and ages. Every since meeting a very cool friend of a friend with this name. Then Harry Potter came out. Oh, JK Rowling. Why did you do this to me?! Now I can't name my clever, sporty, witty yet-to-be-conceived daughter Hermione! Boohoo.

Coco:
Interesting that this name appears on loads of people's list! I like the name very much. Then Courtney Cox named her baby Coco. More problematic is that baby's surname has these sounds. Just too similar. Too matchy matchy. Sad! (Maybe a nickname?!)

Esme:
I really like this name. I like the sound of it. And I like that it's familiar yet kinda special all at the same time. My problems with it are two-fold:

(1) As it's a French name, I feel it really should have an extra 'e' on it (for a girl's name) and I think it will be let off, dropped, some people might remember 'oh there's an extra something toward the end of her name', and add an extra 'm' instead of 'e';

(2) I just think in English giving a kid with an accent is troublesome. People don't know how to format them in Word. Sometimes it'll be included. Other times it won't be. And I think a name should be consistent and 'dependable'. Very sad because I like this name very much!

Sylvia:
I also really like this name. Sounds nice. Recognisable but not too boring or 'old'. Problem is: I just can't get the 'Oh, Sylvia?' 'Yes Mickey?' 'How do you call your loverboy?' 'COME 'ERE, loverboy' 1950s song out of my head when I hear the name. (Remember the dance studio scene from Dirty Dancing?). I do love the song and I love the name but just can't summon up the courage to name my daughter this.

Lillian:
I like the name but somehow it's too 'L' heavy. And as someone who likes to think she generally has good annunciation skills (I'm a language teacher), this is saying something. Just can't do it sadly :(

Francesca:
I do like this name but think it's just a bit too Italian for me to have the guts to use it.

A few names I'll never use because I just don't like them:

Deirdre:
Can't stand this name.

Madison/Madyson/Maddyson/Matison/Mattison/Mattysen:
Enough already.

Willow:
To me, willow is a dropsy tree that sheds branches I need to pick-up before I mow the lawn. Not a positive association for me.

India:
I'd no sooner name a daughter India than I'd name her Sri Lanka or Bangladesh.

Eve:
Too Garden of Eden for me. Also, that classic movie about multiple personality disorder. Not good. For this reason I also wouldn't choose Evie.

All I can think of now...

Thanks for this list, I love it! I have to comment on Esme too. I liked that name a lot when I was younger, and my DH is French, so it would be nice to be able to use it, but I don't think it necessarily translates well. Also, I could never bring myself to use a name that was in the Twilight novels. I liked the books ok, they are fun, but I feel like everyone started using Bella and Isabella after the books became popular and I don't know. I don't like bandwagons like that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->