General chatter while we wait (and commentary on the "pull out method")

Notice how I behaved myself with the turkeys? I stuck with 2 for now...

BTW love how this thread has totally gone to animal breeding rather than humans:haha:

Yay, another duck enthusiast! We were subject to fowl math too...started with wanting 12 ducks, ended up with 57 ducks and 3 geese...

PL, how much $ are you getting for the eggs? We are having a big debate about it.

And YES, this son of mine plays with his penis nearly constantly!!!

I love those small businesses! That's my goal with the duck eggs, just supply some small organic stores with eggs and some bakeries. Baking with duck eggs is apparently better then with chicken eggs!

So are the peppers not just an annual plant... they keep growing for years like an apple tree?
I love you say "Florida Winter", makes me laugh.... ;) We've already reached the -5C over night and come January/February we'll have days at -35C.

Oh my ba jeebers!!! :shock:I can't take cold...seriously. My hands go numb at 60 degrees and below. I love having 10 months of summer beach weather and all the plants growing.
We typically get a few weeks of 40's in the overnights 60's high in the days...but some years we get quite a few 30's and even upper 20's - which is nothing for you all, but it devastates all the tropical plants, flowers, and farmers here as our plants are not cold hardy.
That's another reason I like koi-:fish: they can live up north in frozen over ponds, so the only worries here with koi ponds is birds or raccoons, and keeping the pond shaded

Giggle, in my area I think $4 is a good price.. but from where I bought my new layers the lady was selling her eggs for $7.25 to the stores/bakeries. So the stores sold them in the 8-12 dollar range! Their area does support the price and probably could still take another price increase to $8. It all depends on your area...

OMG is that per dozen...??
I was complaining as chicken eggs have gone up to $5+ for my usual 18 egg carton
I go thru a couple dozen a weekend babking sometimes.
I wonder how to convert eggs in a recipe to duck egg size given the obvi diff in size:-k

JLM, I love Koi! At one point I had 3 fish tanks, one of them was kept cold for my Koi. So I got them as tiny babies and raised them from a $5 and 1" fish in my 10G tank, to a 5" fish in 33G and then to the 90G tank. I think the biggest one was 15" when I gave them to a neighbour who had converted his backyard into this huge pond. I probably could have sold them for hundreds of dollars to a fancier but at least I got to "see" them when I did house sitting for them a few times a year ;)

Now all 3 tanks are back to tropical fish but I had to leave them with my parents after moving out. My parents know, once I am back in that area that I'll want my tanks back!

Holy cannoli. A girl goes to sleep and work and comes back to 5 pages. This is going to take me a while ladies lol

JLM, right now I go by weight although I could be wrong when you talk to a pastry chef. Duck eggs weigh almost double to a chicken egg.

Here in Canada, a 63gram chicken egg is considered Jumbo and I get just a few that size from my girls but my norm is around 55g. My smallest chicken eggs from new layers usually weighed 38g. (they usually start small and will pick up a bit in size). My newest duck layer started off at 63g and reached 80g within 2 weeks.

I am still playing with cooking with duck eggs, but since I am used to large eggs from my chickens I will usually use 2 duck eggs in place of 3 chicken eggs.

{hands on hips} WHERE have you been young lady??

Pacific Thank you- that makes sense. All my recipes were in grams and kg as they are Portuguese family recipes. But I found out the hard way measurements here are NO where close, and had to change every single ingred till it tasted right ( batter) THEN experiment some more with temps and times ( as their altitude and temps are MUCH diff than ours).
I have them all figured out now, but it def takes some work each time I add a new one. I am by no means a trained pastry chef. I just make sure they taste correct and I am big on presentation so I make sure they have nice berries or chocolate drizzles etc. I have to stand out as ppl here think a cake is a cake and if I use muffin molds they automatically say "Oh cupcakes..." :growlmad:
I just tweek ingreds here and there to come up with new flavors.
Also:blush: I never change the #of eggs whether I use reg large or jumbo...Thankfully it doesn't affect the outcome of Portuguese cake since it is pretty dense and moist.

My family moved to Canada from Germany, at first mom had a really tough time with her baking mainly due to the fact that canadian flours just seemed to absorb way more water then the german flours. It took her a few trials and errors to get that right so i totally get what you are saying!

{hands on hips} WHERE have you been young lady??
Sleeping and working :p I have to take the cats to the vet. I want to get their shots updated before I surrender them. :(

J, I deffo see the faint line!!! Can't wait to see the next tests! And I have a ball python who I need to feed. Two days ago. He'll probably snap at me again.

PL, so sorry to hear AF showed up. :( Hugs

Claire and Mrs, you are not out until the witch shows. Hang in there!!!

Gigs, sorry Des and Hubs are running you ragged. :( But lol to the windy grabbing. Such a boy thing. Too bad my brother never grew out of it. He is 17 and does it all the time. Then again, my mom sits like Al Bundy so I can't blame the kid. He's not like touching himself. He just puts his hand there to "keep it warm" x.x

Pacific No doubt lol I breed dogs...that I'm good at...myself?? Not so much :rofl:
Dobs:shock: Why are the kitties being ousted???
I lived in a 3 BR apt with 2 cats, a great dane, Pitbull, and 3 chihuahuas ( hid them) annnnd a 55 gallon fish tank and 2 kids !
Ahhh I had to rehome my dogs when I went thru first divorce, but I met each person and went to their homes. Shelters are awful and very stressful for cats especially- if they get a kitty cold they usually put them down :growlmad:
You have to do what you have to but cats are pretty easy compared to dogs ( I have both trust me- all 3 cats require less care than the 1 dog dog lol)

On another note - glad you can see something. BnB lowered the quality of the upload so much IIIIIII can't barely see the lines on here!

I'm gonna do another cheapie in a.m. and as long as I get the same or better lines I'll dip my frer.
How's hubby and how's your Boybean?

JLM that is so exciting for you! It'll be quite the story to tell... "well son, you almost didn't happen as your dad spilled the goodies the first time..."

LOLPacific :rofl:
Didn't even think of that! No doubt. I didn't even chart the "drops" from the carpet spill hehe but would be darn funny if one of those :spermy: invaded the egg
That :spermy: is like :
"What??? Oh nooo ...VIP line my ass...I am GETTING IN! Do you have ANY idea...the trip I had...JUST to get here??? Oh I ammm getting in!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->