Gobsmacked

OOOooh The happy happy joy joy song I love that!!!!!

You be Ren and I'll be Stimpy. :dance:

Why do men have nipples?

6 other useless parts of the body:-
Sinuses
Adenoids
Tonsils
Coccyx
Wisdom teeth
Appendix

What did Mother Nature give us these for?

I don't care that the debate is over now, poke me in the eye if you dare! And devils advocate or not I have to step i one again with the science - it's in my blood!

Nipples - Men have nipples because all embryos/foetuses essentially develop as females until the male genes kick in and start producing male hormones.
Sinuses - just because we don't understand why doesn't mean no function is there: These include the functions of warming/humidification of air, assisting in regulation of intranasal pressure and serum gas pressures (and subsequently minute ventilation), contributing to immune defense, increasing mucosal surface area, lightening the skull, giving resonance to the voice, absorbing shock, and contributing to facial growth.
Adenoids - involved in antibody production (that's the immune system)
Tonsils - ditto.
Coccyx - yes a part of the spine that used to be a tail before evolution found us no longer swinging in trees. The coccyx provides an attachment for nine muscles, such as the gluteus maximus, and those necessary for defecation. It also acts as something of a shock absorber when a person sits down, although forceful impact can cause damage and subsequent bodily pains. The remnant of a vestigial tail in humans, in many other species the coccygeal vertebrae support a full tail and accommodate its nerves.
Wisdom teeth - I use mine to eat, don't you?
Appendix - has a function in the immune system

I think I've said enough. Do not question the function of the body parts!

I don't care that the debate is over now, poke me in the eye if you dare! And devils advocate or not I have to step i one again with the science - it's in my blood!

Nipples - Men have nipples because all embryos/foetuses essentially develop as females until the male genes kick in and start producing male hormones.
Sinuses - just because we don't understand why doesn't mean no function is there: These include the functions of warming/humidification of air, assisting in regulation of intranasal pressure and serum gas pressures (and subsequently minute ventilation), contributing to immune defense, increasing mucosal surface area, lightening the skull, giving resonance to the voice, absorbing shock, and contributing to facial growth.
Tonsils - ditto.
Coccyx - yes a part of the spine that used to be a tail before evolution found us no longer swinging in trees. The coccyx provides an attachment for nine muscles, such as the gluteus maximus, and those necessary for defecation. It also acts as something of a shock absorber when a person sits down, although forceful impact can cause damage and subsequent bodily pains. The remnant of a vestigial tail in humans, in many other species the coccygeal vertebrae support a full tail and accommodate its nerves.

What is absolutely amazing is that a human can function without some of these body parts. I have no tonsils nor wisdom teeth. I am very healthy and I eat perfectly fine with the teeth I have.

My OH doesn't have an appendix, wisdom teeth, tonsils or foreskin....and he's perfectly fine.

Tonsils - ditto.

I don't have Tonsils, Adenoids, Wisdom teeth or an Appendix... my nipples aren't much use... yep there pretty useless and obviously aren't needed... along with my foreskin (which I do have but wouldn't bother me if I didn't). I can question parts of my (or my sons, if I had one) body all I like thank you very much!
'Science' or not, that is no reason to be belligerent towards others views.

I don't have Tonsils, Adenoids, Wisdom teeth or an Appendix... my nipples aren't much use... yep there pretty useless and obviously aren't needed... along with my foreskin (which I do have but wouldn't bother me if I didn't). I can question parts of my (or my sons, if I had one) body all I like thank you very much!
'Science' or not, that is no reason to be belligerent towards others views.

OK so whose views have I been belligerent to? You'll notice that neither of my posts in this debate have mentioned either my own opinions on circumcision nor said anything about anybody else's.

You said these parts were useless so I explained why they are there and/or what their functions are. By all means question things but you ought to be prepared to hear answers - that's what questions are for, finding out.

OK so whose views have I been belligerent to? You'll notice that neither of my posts in this debate have mentioned either my own opinions on circumcision nor said anything about anybody else's.

You said these parts were useless so I explained why they are there and/or what their functions are. By all means question things but you ought to be prepared to hear answers - that's what questions are for, finding out.

You posted:
I don't care that the debate is over... Do not question the function of the body parts!

bel·lig·er·ent (bə-lĭj'ər-ənt) pronunciation
adj.

1. Inclined or eager to fight; hostile or aggressive.
2. Of, pertaining to, or engaged in warfare.

n.

One that is hostile or aggressive

oh look I can copy and paste too... So yes that was a 'hostile' post.

I didn't ask what all those body parts were for; I asked what were male nipples for...? and I was right, those body have no real use.

Not only that but you completely ignored my reason for posting in the first place. It was to address this comment:
If men weren't supposed to have a foreskin then Mother Nature would not have provided them with one.

feel free to quote wikipedia at me anytime you like, it doesn't make what I said wrong or you smart!

You posted:

bel·lig·er·ent (bə-lĭj'ər-ənt) pronunciation
adj.

1. Inclined or eager to fight; hostile or aggressive.
2. Of, pertaining to, or engaged in warfare.

n.

One that is hostile or aggressive

oh look I can copy and paste too... So yes that was a 'hostile' post.

I didn't ask what all those body parts were for; I asked what were male nipples for...? and I was right, those body have no real use.

Not only that but you completely ignored my reason for posting in the first place. It was to address this comment:

feel free to quote wikipedia at me anytime you like, it doesn't make what I said wrong or you smart!

Yes thank you, I know what belligerent means. But I was neither hostile nor aggressive. Two posts in a debate of 16 pages is hardly eager or inclined to fight. When I said jovially "do not question the function of the body parts" it was meant to be lighthearted for the very reason that I wasn't getting personal (as you now are with me in what I would say is in an unacceptable manner with your "oh look I can copy and paste too..."), but merely providing some information to the people looking at this forum in relation to the things you had posted. If, without a sprinkling of lols and rofls, my post came across as offensive then I apologise.

I didn't ignore your reason for posting, I just didn't refer to it as I wasn't responding to your reason but to what you said.

In your original post you asked "Why do men have nipples?" so I explained why men have them. No they don't have an overt function in men (other than giving pleasure) but if men didn't have them then neither would women because that is how the baby develops. They are hardly a body part comparable with the foreskin anyway, it's not like women have a foreskin with some great function like with nipples.

You then listed "six other useless parts of the body" so I found out their uses (if I didn't already know them) and shared the information with the list. I'm afraid you were wrong when you stated that these parts were useless, but I wasn't trying to be smart, I was just trying to keep the debate informed as all real debates should be. Perhaps you object to that. I notice that others who responded to my post did not feel the need to attack me for providing some interesting information.

I have followed this debate with interest and seen the passion that people feel one way or another about this issue. I didn't want to say anything about my own opinion on this issue as I neither wanted to offend anyone nor did I feel that a forum where I don't know anyone personally would be an appropriate place to question people for their beliefs. The only two posts I have made have been in response to comments made of a scientific ilk (of which I do know something above mere opinion) in an effort to help the debate by keeping it informed. That these first two posts came from people for (or possibly in your case not against) circumcision is irrelevant. If someone against had quoted something medical/scientific that was incorrect or tenuous I would still have felt compelled to redress the balance - bad science is bad science whatever opinion it is used to back up. It could certainly be argued that this is a cultural issue and not a scientific one, but in such a case science should not then be used to back up opinions.

:saywhat:

I didn't say they had no function... I said 'useless', as in having no useful purpose (the antonym of useful being useless).

Without copy and pasting "redress the balance" and point out which of those body parts are useful? You can remove everyone of those part simaltaniously and the human body wouldn't even notice.

...and you still ignored my point... the point was the 'mother nature' argument doesn't hold water (as proved in this thread https://www.babyandbump.com/general-chatter/36253-baby-born-penis-his-back.html)

You can't claim "bad science" when you misquote the orginal argument.

Yes thank you, I know what belligerent means. But I was neither hostile nor aggressive. Two posts in a debate of 16 pages is hardly eager or inclined to fight. When I said jovially "do not question the function of the body parts" it was meant to be lighthearted for the very reason that I wasn't getting personal (as you now are with me in what I would say is in an unacceptable manner with your "oh look I can copy and paste too..."), but merely providing some information to the people looking at this forum in relation to the things you had posted. If, without a sprinkling of lols and rofls, my post came across as offensive then I apologise.

I didn't ignore your reason for posting, I just didn't refer to it as I wasn't responding to your reason but to what you said.

In your original post you asked "Why do men have nipples?" so I explained why men have them. No they don't have an overt function in men (other than giving pleasure) but if men didn't have them then neither would women because that is how the baby develops. They are hardly a body part comparable with the foreskin anyway, it's not like women have a foreskin with some great function like with nipples.

You then listed "six other useless parts of the body" so I found out their uses (if I didn't already know them) and shared the information with the list. I'm afraid you were wrong when you stated that these parts were useless, but I wasn't trying to be smart, I was just trying to keep the debate informed as all real debates should be. Perhaps you object to that. I notice that others who responded to my post did not feel the need to attack me for providing some interesting information.

I have followed this debate with interest and seen the passion that people feel one way or another about this issue. I didn't want to say anything about my own opinion on this issue as I neither wanted to offend anyone nor did I feel that a forum where I don't know anyone personally would be an appropriate place to question people for their beliefs. The only two posts I have made have been in response to comments made of a scientific ilk (of which I do know something above mere opinion) in an effort to help the debate by keeping it informed. That these first two posts came from people for (or possibly in your case not against) circumcision is irrelevant. If someone against had quoted something medical/scientific that was incorrect or tenuous I would still have felt compelled to redress the balance - bad science is bad science whatever opinion it is used to back up. It could certainly be argued that this is a cultural issue and not a scientific one, but in such a case science should not then be used to back up opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->