Going from swaddling to sleeping bag.....how was it for you?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by 2805, Jan 25, 2011.

1. 2805

2805 Well-Known Member

My lo has been waking for the last 2 weeks about 3/4 times a night, sometimes that includes a feed sometimes it doesnt, I think this is due to teething and being uncomfortable.
    He will go back off when I give him his dummy

He has been swaddled since birth and he is getting so big now (taking after his 6ft 4 daddy!) its becoming a pain keeping him swaddled cause he fights out of it! So I thought seeing as he isnt sleeping great just now its probably the best time to introduce a sleeping back, and im kinda hoping it may help his sleep! Haha yeh rite

Anyway......i was just wondering how your lo's were with the change?

2. littleone2010

littleone2010 Mum of two girls

Hi there :) We changed from swaddling to a sleeping bag at about 18 weeks I think. She kept breaking out of even the tighest swaddles so we knew it was time.

I was nervous about it because she had started to sleep so well but it was fine, after about 2 nights it went back to normal, I think the sleeping bags are good as they still feel quite safe and secure in it. I got a 6-12 month sleeping bag at 6 months and I hope we can use them as long as possible. My lo is such a mover at night and we simply couldnt do without one, I would worry that she would get so cold at night. Good luck it will be fine x

3. FLUMPY1984

FLUMPY1984 Well-Known Member

my lo hated swaddling...i persivered with it for a few weeks but put him in the gro bag...he loved it could move his arms and legs around! sleeps soundly through the night although that will prob change when hes a bit older lol x

4. Cookie1979

Cookie1979 Well-Known Member

I swaddle my lo, but I thought I would try him in his sleeping bag because no matter how tight he is wrapped up he can get out of it and when I woke up in the night the other night the blanket was completely unwrapped and he had no cover on him. Anyway as I said last night i put him in his sleeping bag and he was so noisy, kept thrashing around and making so much noise that in the middle of the night I took him out of his sleeping bag and swaddled him, instantly he went quiet. Not sure what to do, he obviously sleeps better being swaddled but cos he is a wriggler he wakes himself up if he isn't swaddled.

Might buy a bigger blanket so it can be pulled right under him and hope it stops him escaping.

The HV at my postnatal group says he might just be a noisy baby, but he's definitely less noisy if he is swaddled and settles better.

5. 2805

2805 Well-Known Member

This is what im worried about but i think as he isnt sleeping great at the mo i may aswell try it! Its so hard when they liked being swaddled! :wacko:

6. sam2eb

sam2eb Well-Known Member

My LO also loves to be swaddled. We use a swaddleme blanket but she is starting to wriggle her hands up & out the top.

Would love to be able to keep swaddling her for another few months but I think im going to have to move her to a sleeping bag soon too.