Gonal Girls

sorry about the bfn bizz....i wish I had infertility coverage!

If you don't mind me asking, where r u from? Do you have health insurance at all? Some states have it mandatory. (thanks god, otherwise I'd be up the creek).

Wait! So it is mandatory to have infertility coverage in NY? I didn't know that! I have insurance, but it doesn't cover treatments, only testing.

I have excellus blue cross blue shield through my employer and
I have testing and treatment (up to 6 iuis) covered. And my
Rx plan covers meds. My highest copay is $50 for
Meds. And with the copay cards they give me at my clinic, 4 gonal f pens, hcg shot, lupron and 30 crinone suppositories comes to $34. The most expensive copay is the crinone. I'd look into it further maybe. My is one of the few states with mandatory coverage.

sorry about the bfn bizz....i wish I had infertility coverage!

If you don't mind me asking, where r u from? Do you have health insurance at all? Some states have it mandatory. (thanks god, otherwise I'd be up the creek).

Wait! So it is mandatory to have infertility coverage in NY? I didn't know that! I have insurance, but it doesn't cover treatments, only testing.

I have excellus blue cross blue shield through my employer and
I have testing and treatment (up to 6 iuis) covered. And my
Rx plan covers meds. My highest copay is $50 for
Meds. And with the copay cards they give me at my clinic, 4 gonal f pens, hcg shot, lupron and 30 crinone suppositories comes to $34. The most expensive copay is the crinone. I'd look into it further maybe. My is one of the few states with mandatory coverage.

WOW! That is really cool! I ended up getting my meds from Britan, they were about 50% less there.

Alicatt, yay! I bet it feels so good that your back on the ttc train! I hope you have tons of follies developing!

Lauren & Bizz, wow you are so lucky to have infertility coverage. I get 50% coverage for tests and meds but 0% coverage for IVF- so I'm really hoping I won't need to go there.

AFM, on cd8 and just curious what my body decides to do this cycle with no meds. My doc wants me to do OPKs until cd22 and if i dont get a positive by then to start provera to induce AF. I'm using my CBFM in hopes I'll know if I'll ovulate or not a bit sooner than cd22.

:dust::dust::dust: to you all! Lets get some BFPs for Christmas!

Kmae- I'm not covered for IVF either. They won't even let me use my insurance for meds if I'm doing IVF. But no biggie. Hopefully that route is unnecessary! Other than that all proceedures I have a 20% deductible on. That stuff adds up though.

Kmae- I'm not covered for IVF either. They won't even let me use my insurance for meds if I'm doing IVF. But no biggie. Hopefully that route is unnecessary! Other than that all proceedures I have a 20% deductible on. That stuff adds up though.

Ahh.. OK the meds are way more expensive for IVF! The entire process is way more expensive. I am doing my second IVF now (and last). It is too hard on my body and too expensive to be able to do this again. Hopefully I won't have to worry, and this will be my miracle!

Ahh.. OK the meds are way more expensive for IVF! The entire process is way more expensive. I am doing my second IVF now (and last). It is too hard on my body and too expensive to be able to do this again. Hopefully I won't have to worry, and this will be my miracle!

I hope you don't have to worry about it again either!! My clinic told me if I plan to go on to IVF, let them know, they'll give me refills on my meds for times intercourse or IUI cycles, get my meds, and just move on to IVF. Yay for legal loopholes!

Oh Alicatt, I have everything crossed for you!
Lauren, yes, it does add up! Woohoo for legal loop holes- but I hope you never need it.

Lauren I live in the bahamas....so no fertility coverage....it stinks...seriously...it is soooo expensive....these IUI's including travel will run about 3-4k...so this is the last one we are trying.....after that we will be going straight to IVF.

Alicatt - how did you get your meds from over seas? If they are cheaper I would like to try that.

Alicatt - I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you ! I have a question about IVF. Could you tell me a bit more about the procedure? Is the egg retrieving procedure painful ?

TTCbaby- omg. I feel for you. That's insane! Is that including meds?? IUI proceedure here (without meds and no insurance) is still only $300. Now I know why people GI out of country for that stuff. That's just so expensive. I am still kind of jealous you live in the Bahamas though lol.

AFM- 8 more days til my baseline blood work and ultrasound. I'm chomping at the bit to get poking' myself again. I feel super hopeful, even after our chemical that with the help of the metformin, we can get our sticky bean. :)

::babydust::

Lauren I live in the bahamas....so no fertility coverage....it stinks...seriously...it is soooo expensive....these IUI's including travel will run about 3-4k...so this is the last one we are trying.....after that we will be going straight to IVF.

Good luck TTC!!! I hope you don't have to go to IVF. It is so much more expensive than IUI. Like by a factor of 5! I know, I'm in the middle of my second one here in FL, also without insurance coverage for this type of procedure.

Alicatt - how did you get your meds from over seas? If they are cheaper I would like to try that.

I ended up getting my meds from IVF Meds, it is in the UK. My meds were basically 1/2 the price as they are here. I think my meds for last cycle were close to $6000, so 1/2 price is a HUGE discount. I also know they had a backup of getting the drugs from Canada, but I don't think the savings are as big from the Canadian company that I think is called Big Mountain Pharmacy. One thing to note, IVF Meds is notorious for needing 4-6 weeks to get the meds to you, so you have to plan ahead to get the savings. I think you can order from the Canadian pharmacy and get the meds as soon as the next day (or maybe 2 days).

Alicatt - I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you ! I have a question about IVF. Could you tell me a bit more about the procedure? Is the egg retrieving procedure painful ?

Hi Bizzi!

Yes, it is a wild and crazy road!

First your FS will come up with a protocol (the type of meds they want to use, the dose and how long you will be on each). The most common one starts with a suppression phase where you rev up your body on one drug that makes your body produce lots of FSH/LH but not release it. Then you jump on the fertility meds and they monitor you much like during the IUI until you are ready to trigger. Then 36 hours after trigger you will have the ER (egg retrieval). At that time they will sedate you and they will stick a special needle through your vagina up to pop the follicles and grab the eggs. Then they will take your eggs, and fertilize them with your DH's sperm (or donor sperm). Then either 3 or 5 days later you will have the ET (embryo transfer) where they put the embryos back into your uterus. That is the high level look at IVF. There are so many factors that determine how your FS will tailor your cycle, and there are additional medications that you may take depending on the fertility issue that you have. I think the cost can be anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000 depending on the amount of money you need to spend on drugs, and also the state that you live in.
Be prepared for lots of ultrasounds and blood work during the stim portion, then a long and grueling 2WW!

I'm currently in the stim part of the cycle, and am on day 6 of stims, my ER and ET will probably be late next week or very early the following week. Timing will be more clear once we get into next week and we get another look at my follicles!

I hope that helps!

I ended up getting my meds from IVF Meds, it is in the UK. My meds were basically 1/2 the price as they are here. I think my meds for last cycle were close to $6000, so 1/2 price is a HUGE discount. I also know they had a backup of getting the drugs from Canada, but I don't think the savings are as big from the Canadian company that I think is called Big Mountain Pharmacy. One thing to note, IVF Meds is notorious for needing 4-6 weeks to get the meds to you, so you have to plan ahead to get the savings. I think you can order from the Canadian pharmacy and get the meds as soon as the next day (or maybe 2 days).

I'm curious, did your docs have any issue with you getting your IVF meds from somewhere else besides from their pharmacy? Or did they just write you up a prescription with no hassle?

I'm curious, did your docs have any issue with you getting your IVF meds from somewhere else besides from their pharmacy? Or did they just write you up a prescription with no hassle?

My FS office was the one to recommend it. They want to help us with the cost of meds and they did all the ordering for me. I just had to give the pharmacy my biling information. IVF is insanely expensive and so any help in cutting costs is very helpful. I think that these meds are now getting close to the point that generics could be made which might help bring the costs down. But until that happens we need to find ways to get cheaper meds. My FS had no problem going overseas for meds so that was cool!

Hi Bizzi!

First your FS will come up with a protocol (the type of meds they want to use, the dose and how long you will be on each). The most common one starts with a suppression phase where you rev up your body on one drug that makes your body produce lots of FSH/LH but not release it. Then you jump on the fertility meds and they monitor you much like during the IUI until you are ready to trigger. Then 36 hours after trigger you will have the ER (egg retrieval). At that time they will sedate you and they will stick a special needle through your vagina up to pop the follicles and grab the eggs. Then they will take your eggs, and fertilize them with your DH's sperm (or donor sperm). Then either 3 or 5 days later you will have the ET (embryo transfer) where they put the embryos back into your uterus. That is the high level look at IVF. There are so many factors that determine how your FS will tailor your cycle, and there are additional medications that you may take depending on the fertility issue that you have. I think the cost can be anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000 depending on the amount of money you need to spend on drugs, and also the state that you live in.
Be prepared for lots of ultrasounds and blood work during the stim portion, then a long and grueling 2WW!

I'm currently in the stim part of the cycle, and am on day 6 of stims, my ER and ET will probably be late next week or very early the following week. Timing will be more clear once we get into next week and we get another look at my follicles!

I hope that helps!

Alicatt,

Thanks a lot. I live in the Netherlands so, everything is covered by my health insurance ( first 3 attempts ) I am looking forward to it.

Good luck with everything.

Hi Bizzi!

I hope that helps!

Alicatt,

Thanks a lot. I live in the Netherlands so, everything is covered by my health insurance ( first 3 attempts ) I am looking forward to it.

Good luck with everything.

OHH.. lucky yuo! That is wonderful. I hope you are successful!

lauren - well I had to have my femara shipped here to me in the bahamas.....the pills themselves costs 39.99. I had to pay $133 for shipping to get it here....I was floored when I picked them up today....shipping international is so ridiculous.....

alicatt - I will look into those sites and see how much cheaper they are. I used freedomfertility.com this time around and it seemed ok....it was just the shipping costs that got me. I will try to time it so taht I will be in the US to retrieve my meds and avoid these crazy shipping costs.

lauren - well I had to have my femara shipped here to me in the bahamas.....the pills themselves costs 39.99. I had to pay $133 for shipping to get it here....I was floored when I picked them up today....shipping international is so ridiculous.....

alicatt - I will look into those sites and see how much cheaper they are. I used freedomfertility.com this time around and it seemed ok....it was just the shipping costs that got me. I will try to time it so taht I will be in the US to retrieve my meds and avoid these crazy shipping costs.

Well when I used the IVFMeds company their drugs were about 1/2 the price of Freddom (which I have used), plus the orders include shipping from the UK in the price. You would have to pay for expedited shipping if you needed them faster. That was my main complaint, that it took them 6 weeks to get me the meds I needed. The Canadian company is faster and would be able to ship to you for next day to the US, not sure about the Bahamas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->