Got buyer's remorse over Playmobil house - help :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bid

Reaction score
I bought the Playmobil Suburban House from Boots a few days ago because it was half price for £64.99. It's been delivered today and I've realised that it has no furniture with it except a patio set - the actual house is completely empty :cry:

In my defence there was only a photo of the front and the description on the boots website says it comes with "lots of figures and accessories", and when I googled it the photos I saw showed it fully furnished, so being a Playmobil virgin I thought that's what you got (plus I can't actually understand why anyone would pay £130 for an empty plastic house, when for £80 you can get the fully furnished hotel!). I've priced up the four furniture sets I'd need and they come to over £80. I've even looked on ebay to see what price used furniture goes for, but there's not much of it about. Even buying the older style sets it's going to be at least £60 to fill the four rooms. So suddenly the house is not such a bargain any more :dohh:

A dolls house was the main thing I wanted for him this year, I usually prefer wooden toys but I'd looked at all the non-pink wooden houses I could find/afford and decided they were all too chunky and babyish for him, a bit too much like his Happyland stuff which is starting to frustrate him because he can't move the people around properly or take their hats off etc. He'll only just be turning 3 at xmas so I thought we could start off simple with the house and maybe a garden and playground set, all things he's familiar with in real life and can act out when he's playing. And then I could expand on it as he shows an interest in other things, and it can really grow with him as he gets older. But that was before I realised I'd be spending £150 just on the house! Really begrudge paying that much for a few bits of plastic, especially when half of it will be too tiny to give him now.

So now I don't know whether to just keep the house and hope DH doesn't find out how much I spent on furniture (!), or take it back and just go back to the search for a wooden house. Playmobil do a couple of cheaper (and fully furnished!) houses but they're all around a 'theme' like summer house or farm, and I really wanted something generic to start off with. ELC do a 'rescue centre' type dollshouse but it's huge and fire/police themed, so I'm not keen because it's a bit limited in terms of imaginative play/possible future sisters :haha:

Don't know what to do, and I think DH is going to kill me if I talk to him about it anymore - he thought I was mad enough buying xmas presents in August in the first place :blush:

Sounds like you wont change your mind i think you could do better for that money so i would send it back x

If you don't want it take it back. But you will need the piece of paper it came with or your receipt to send it back.

I'd take it back and get one of the hotels/dolls houses from the playmobil range. They are only 30/40 pounds and you get all the bits xx

I love the house itself, it's so detailed and it's even got a working doorbell! And I think it'll hold his interest much longer than a wooden one because it's much more realistic and can be added to as he gets older. I just can't believe the cost of the furniture to go inside it! Especially when there are other Playmobil sets that come fully furnished and cost less. Really prefer the look/size of this one but wish it wasn't so empty, the walls/floors are plain plastic too so it really needs a lot of stuff to fill it. DH suggested we ask family to get him some furniture sets for it as presents, which could be a good option.

Thinking long term, does anyone else have the Suburban house and think the finished product is worth it, or does it not get played with as much as the themed sets? I really want him to have it but I'd be kicking myself if he didn't play with it once he had the playground etc (or rather DH would be kicking me lol)

:flower:

I bought the suburban house too and was a bit disappointed it didn't come with any furniture. I have stuck all the furniture Via amazon on camelcamelcamel to see if it drops in price. I think I will just buy bits gradually. Playmobil does have a reasonable resale value on ebay so that is something to maybe consider too.

I'm going to keep mine as I love it, but I agree it is expensive for nothing in it. It would have definitely been going back for full price!!
Xx

I would be disappointed too and would probably return it for a refund and buy a set with more furniture/accessories

I'd be disappointed to find that out too. I'd probably bring it back and try to find something else that would fit my needs better.

I wanted to get this for my LO last year but where I was going to get it from had a picture of the back of the box (where they show you wants included) and i had spotted it didnt come with the furniture so i didnt bother. not worth the money IMO id find another set that includes everything

I think I will send it back, had a look at the furniture sets in toys r us yesterday and lots of the bits are tiny so would only be able to give him the bigger furniture pieces and the house would still look empty. Such a shame!

Funnily enough this weekend he's rediscovered his love of his happyland stuff and has played with it non-stop, making up stories with the people etc. So I might just get him the happyland rose cottage when the sales start, it's only £40 to begin with so I'm hoping it'll go half price. Even if he only gets a few months out of it I can put it away for his future brother or sister so it'll be worth buying. Bit worried I'll spend a fortune on a playmobil house and he'll be wanting a castle instead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"