Group B Strep +

wlovew

Reaction score
Found out the other day at my appointment that I tested positive for Group B Strep :cry: I'm afraid this will mean confinement, at least partial... I hoped to be able to be up and moving around during contractions and be able to utilize the bath tub but with an IV following me around it will make things a bit of a pain! Anyone have experience with the Group B Strep?

Also my doc won't do a sweep at all because of it :cry:

I was told that you won't need to be hooked up to IV the whole time, just to administer the antibiotics every 4 hours. It just means going to the hospital a bit earlier!

Yes, she wants me to go as soon as I show signs of labor :/

I was GBS+ with my DD. I was really really bummed because I wanted an active, water birth and I HATE needles and cannulas. Anyway I spoke to my consultant and got permission for a water birth, as long as the pool on L&D was available. It was :). I had a water birth, they put the cannula in while I was in the pool, I just had to keep my hand out of the water. The AB's went in, then they took the line out and left the tube in taped up. I only got 1 dose as I was a bit late getting to hospital but they would have put the 2nd dose in the same way.

Found out the other day at my appointment that I tested positive for Group B Strep :cry: I'm afraid this will mean confinement, at least partial... I hoped to be able to be up and moving around during contractions and be able to utilize the bath tub but with an IV following me around it will make things a bit of a pain! Anyone have experience with the Group B Strep?

Also my doc won't do a sweep at all because of it :cry:

I found out I had gbs due to my daughter showing symptoms of it as a new born. She was fine thankfully and it's very very rare that it ever affects your baby
So this time in pregnsncy they said I would have antibiotics in labour through an iv but I could still have a water birth. I also had a sweep a day before my due date so don't understand why they won't? My son is now 3 weeks old I rang the hospital and told them I was in labour but they told me to wait it out at home. Long story short. Fast labour. 20 mins later little min was born on our bathroom floor delivered by his daddy so didnt have any antibiotics!
I just went in to hisptal and he was monitored for 12 hours all was well and we left after that.

You should be up right and mobile and you should be allowed to be? It shouldn't affect your labor or anything else other than the fact you'll need to have iv antibiotics x

I was gbs+ with my DD and her birthday was AWFUL, I was confined to the bed for entire labour, no birth pool or anything.... But that's because I just went along with what they said/told me.

There are lots of people out there with gbs that refuse the iv antibiotics, have home births and happy babies and labour (I found a thread here on b&b the other day with lots of ladies saying the same). The risk is very low and there a lot of midwives and consultants who feel that it's no longer necessary to take such a steadfast approach. If I'm gbs+ again in the future I will still be planning a home water birth.

Some useful statistics here:

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/gbs.htm

There's also a sticky support thread in the home and natural birthing board :thumbup:

I don't know why my doctor refuses a sweep. She basically said "we don't do sweeps" and then said especially when I have GBS+ she won't. Um.... so just F'ing DO IT because I ASKED YOU TO then! Geez. I haven't liked this doctor my entire pregnancy but with my cruddy State medical coverage I don't have a lot of options. The sweep may not even do anything anyway, but next week at my next appointment I'll be 38+5 and I am going to tell her what I have learned via research and talking to friends and ask her AGAIN, PLEASE DO A DAMN SWEEP. Shit, test me again for the GBS! It can come and go from day to day! I just don't want to go late and I don't want PITOCIN to get labor going :'( I'm ready for this baby girl to rock my world!!!!! Something inside me tells me I won't go late... something even keeps telling me I may go into labor next week! But that's probably just wishful thinking LOL

I've done the nipple stipulation twice now and it didn't do a darn thing. It really isn't up to anyone but baby when labor starts apparently lol

Quick side note - has anybody else's appetite gone absolutely INSANE after 37 weeks!?!?!?!?!?! I am RABIDLY HUNGRY. I've already gained about 43 pounds this pregnancy (sobbed....) and I feel like it's not stopping anytime soon :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->