Growing up in the 70s & 80s - off topic!

[

Actually if the in laws come for xmas dinner I was going to ask Dachsundsmom how to cook turkey :rofl: But DH, FIL and I will just have a salad :)

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

You could also borrow Porky....He will hump their ankles nonstop!

I think I relate the most to Indigo here when it comes to TV shows

First crush? Rick Springfield!!!! I also had a poster of John Stamos that I drooled over but I had no idea who he was as I did not watch soap operas... I still think he is HOT!

Well about meals...I feel impotent as my hubby only likes chicken! That does limit my capabilities quite a bit PLUS he does not like fancy stuff...so same old boring chicken meals every day I am afraid LOL

His family orders PIZZA for mas for Christs sake...what???? I always bring something else because I refuse to eat take out on a special day. LOL

Indigo are you Greek??? OMG SAGANAKI is my FAVORITE! and Pasticcio

Macwooly no one EVER wanted to do swapsies with me at packed lunch time, they would come in with their kitkats, crisps and cokes, and I'd have my tangerine and an apple.

Well at least you did not have spanakopita and melitzanosalata!

Nope nothing that exotic.

OMG remember school milk, served at room temperature (of a centrally heated room) and there was always a burst milk in the crate so it all smelled of sour milk ....acck:wacko:

NorthStar I hear your pain, I was allowed a kitkat on a Friday only and I used to get a carton of fruit juice as a treat, sad thing is I really looked forward to it...umbongo, umbongo they drink it in the congo....another great 80's reference!

First crush? Rick Springfield!!!! I also had a poster of John Stamos that I drooled over but I had no idea who he was as I did not watch soap operas... I still think he is HOT!

Well about meals...I feel impotent as my hubby only likes chicken! That does limit my capabilities quite a bit PLUS he does not like fancy stuff...so same old boring chicken meals every day I am afraid LOL

His family orders PIZZA for mas for Christs sake...what???? I always bring something else because I refuse to eat take out on a special day. LOL

Pizza for Christmas? That's terrible, poor you :dohh:

:dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh:

Yes...Rick Springfield and John Stamos!!!!

How could I forget?

R Springfield was on Califirnication....still looks good...and so does J Stamos....

I liked Stamos and George Michael because they are Greek and I thought my parents would approve.:wacko:

OK, now I want Greek food!

@macwooly- a box of macaroni noodles and if you like Richard Chamberlain, have you seen Shogun? I remember that bc my mom was a huge fan of his, lol.

The recipe for the turkey is easy; just let it float in the bathtub for 24-36 hours...in warm water. I guess you can't smell it rotting, because everyone ate the damn thing, lol. :blush:

I tried turkey one more time the following year, but that time I cooked it upside down, so it just looked raw. :haha:

Pizza for Christmas? That's terrible, poor you :dohh:

well I like pizza but COME ON! I bring home made lasagna or something like it cause good grief, I just can't deal. In my family those were the days were LOTS of food was made, and I mean a variety...we had the Xmas meal that is accustomed in Portugal (Bacalhao, potatoes, collard greens) AND also the Venezuela stuff (Hallacas, pernil, pan de jamon, ensalada de gallina) not to mention a whole table with desserts...so yeah, Pizza? NOT SO MUCH!

OK, now I want Greek food!

@macwooly- a box of macaroni noodles and if you like Richard Chamberlain, have you seen Shogun? I remember that bc my mom was a huge fan of his, lol.

The recipe for the turkey is easy; just let it float in the bathtub for 24-36 hours...in warm water. I guess you can't smell it rotting, because everyone ate the damn thing, lol. :blush:

I tried turkey one more time the following year, but that time I cooked it upside down, so it just looked raw. :haha:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

Turkey in the bath tub :rofl: It wouldn't last as long as you advise because 3 cats would be chewing it and one young dog would be clearing a stair-gate to get to it and then he'd take it to the middle of our bed to eat it :rofl:

I didn't realize at the time that there was more to defrosting a turkey than just bathing it! Lol.

To be honest if you've never been shown or told how would you know? :) And putting it in a bath does seem logical

My dad taught me to cook but no one taught me to bake I just picked up a cook book and did it but I assume my ability to bake cakes, breads, pastries, etc is genetic from my maternal grandmother :)

OK let me see if i can remember back that far, well i loved Black Beauty, and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and i loved Eight is Enough, and X Files, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, omg David Boreanes, what a hottie, and i watched the soaps all the time Days of our Lives!!! Oh speaking of Soap, i loved that program too!!

OK let me see if i can remember back that far, well i loved Black Beauty, and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and i loved Eight is Enough, and X Files, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, omg David Boreanes, what a hottie, and i watched the soaps all the time Days of our Lives!!! Oh speaking of Soap, i loved that program too!!

OMG Days of our Lives is a genuine soap? I've heard it mentioned in sitcoms so just assumed it was a generic name they all used :blush:

^^^:haha:

Days has been on for about 45-50 years...it is America at it's best, lol!

I haven't been able to read the whole tread but I can add a few.. not sure if you had these shows in the UK..

Along the River Bank.. with hammy hamster & JP Ginny Pig
Mr. Dress Up
Smurfs
Gummy Bears
The Muppet Show
Degrassi Jr High ( for us Canadians)

Things / stuff I remember from the 70's 80's

friendship pins
sea monkeys
Big hair
putting jeans on wet so they would be tighter
using safety pins on the inside of you leg on your jeans to make them tight at the bottom.
Cabbage Patch Dolls
Raggedy Ann and Andy
Holly Hobby ( my bedroom was decorated in this)
puff sleaves
big earrings
thick eye liner

I wish I had a picture of myself back in the mid 80's.. I had giant blonde hair that was crimped with a black / pink / blue or whatever colour strip ( I used Cool Aid to dye it) in my hair..:haha:

I wish I had a picture of myself back in the mid 80's.. I had giant blonde hair that was crimped with a black / pink / blue or whatever colour strip ( I used Cool Aid to dye it) in my hair..:haha:

I used cranberry juice and vodka before I was old enough to realize that it made a really good cocktail! Lol

We get Degrassi here in the States too...sometimes I still watch it! :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->