Had a british couple in at my work yesterday

Zero must be a scottish thing. Ive never heard nought being said here always zero.

Its so neat as I find "naught" so strange. I felt SO bad when I was trying to help them as they were such a lovely couple. They were leaving to fly back to England yesterday I believe.

We talked for a bit, I think their son lives here now and has been bugging them to come and visit. I think he wants them to move here but they like England better. They weren't too keen on having to re-learn how to drive as its the opposite side of the road here. :haha:

They said Canada was very pretty and whatnot but they had been here for a month and were ready to come home. They were quite excited to buy an outfit for their grandson back home, I guess my company doesn't have stores in the UK so they were thrilled to bring back something special for him. :mrgreen:

I say naught to 3 months when talking about baby clothes.

I say naught to three never been in a shop yet were they've said zero to three :thumbup:
Xx

FYI. naught or nought (nɔt)
n.
1. nothing.
2. a cipher (0); zero.
adj. Archaic.
3. lost; ruined.
4. worthless; useless.
adv.
5. Obs. not .
Idioms:
come to naught, to end in failure.

Not british but Irish and we say naught too!

I say naught to 3, the only time I say zero is when I'm reading out a phone number x

I'd say nought too.

I think we use it in that sense because we generally tend to use it when counting e.g on a scale of nought to 10 and so it's just more natural to us to say nought to three. That's why we'd still say size zero and not size nought (which sounds quite silly lol)

I agree with this - nought to... rolls off the tongue more easily I think. However when reading out numbers like 0.005 I would normally say nought but occasionally say zero, no reason why. When counting down (like a rocket launch) I would always say zero, and I know they teach zero when counting at nursery too.

Naught-3 for baby clothes
Size zero
Oh or zero for reading out phone numbers

:haha:.
I say nought (not 'naught', as naught is a pronoun :haha:) for 0-3 clothes. When I'm reading a phone number I usually say 0 as "oh", then remember I'm giving a number and not a letter and change to zero and confuse myself :haha:

I say both... But as a Brit in the US, i do have to say different things to different people to make them understand.

It does drive me mad at times though when people say they dont understand just because of my accent. I asked where to find a cart in the mall the other day and the woman said "Whats that?" o_O

I say nought to three too. I didn't realise it was a uk thing :haha:

I say nought to three. I thought everyone did!

I say zero if it is a woman's size 0. I would never say size nought.

When saying a phone number I say 'oh' for 0.

I call it zero to 3 is from Scotland x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->