His sleeping schedual is killing me

1st_baby

Max has been doing his nights per say since hes been 3 weeks . he always got to bed at 11pm after a bath and bottle and hed sleep till 4-5am ..

Now at 4 months hes all messed up , we've been putting him to be at 10pm now and hes been getting up at 3am ..i put his dummy in his mouth and he sleeps in till 8am on some days ..then other days he wakes up at 2am hungry ..other days 5am and other days he sleeps the whole night till 8am which is messing me up big time ..

I just dont know what to do anymore ,he gets his bottle of oatmeal & milk before bed he eats 6 onz and dozes off ..I cant belive hes hungry again at 2 or 3am ..what am i doing wrong here ..I even tried the piece of clothing and that only worked 2 times :!

Im in dispair here and so is DH we both need our sleep what can be the problem I thought at 4 months hed be in a sleeping pattern

Bren does not have a solid sleep schedule either. It can actually take quite a long time as a baby's sleep regulating system can take 40 weeks to mature. He could behaving a growth spurt, hence the hunger.

Jack was going to bed around 10-11pm & sleeping through until 7ish, but has started wanting to go to bed around 8-9pm which is when he is feeling tired. He was waking at 3am every night for food - even after having 5/6 bottles & 3 meals throughout the day, but I was limiting his solid intake, worried he was having too much for his age. One day I just let him eat until he decided he had enough himself, & he slept from 8ish until 5am (which when you think about it, is 9hrs!! I have read somewhere that lots of babies struggle to sleep 5 hours solid at this age!). Now he does this most nights with the odd exception such as last night when he messed around with his food all day so was obviously hungry throughout the night, & I know it still isn't an ideal time to be getting up, but he is sleeping longer, & he does go back to bed for an hour - sometimes right after his bottle or sometimes after a little play.
Next thing on the list is to get him to settle on his own - I have to rock him to sleep (unless he falls asleep on the bottle) & he usually wakes about 3 times needing to be picked up & rocked again, until he settles for good:dohh:

Jack was going to bed around 10-11pm & sleeping through until 7ish, but has started wanting to go to bed around 8-9pm which is when he is feeling tired. He was waking at 3am every night for food - even after having 5/6 bottles & 3 meals throughout the day, but I was limiting his solid intake, worried he was having too much for his age. One day I just let him eat until he decided he had enough himself, & he slept from 8ish until 5am (which when you think about it, is 9hrs!! I have read somewhere that lots of babies struggle to sleep 5 hours solid at this age!). Now he does this most nights with the odd exception such as last night when he messed around with his food all day so was obviously hungry throughout the night, & I know it still isn't an ideal time to be getting up, but he is sleeping longer, & he does go back to bed for an hour - sometimes right after his bottle or sometimes after a little play.
Next thing on the list is to get him to settle on his own - I have to rock him to sleep (unless he falls asleep on the bottle) & he usually wakes about 3 times needing to be picked up & rocked again, until he settles for good:dohh:

This is basically the same for Colton. He now sleeps around 10pm though because thats when I get home from school, and he wakes around 7.30am. The last few days he has been messed up but thats because he is cutting teeth.

Could he be going through the 4 month growth spurt?
I would up his intake during the day and see if that helps. Also maybe try getting him to bed a little earlier.
Sleep patterns change a lot between 3 and months. But once he is in his routine at 4 months, it should work for him until about 1 year.

Why oh why is it that whenever I post on here about how well Jack is sleeping, he starts to wake? He was awake 3 times last night!:rofl::dohh::hissy:

Can you and your OH not share the duties?

Our LO sleeps from 10-6:30 sometimes, but lately has been waking up a few times between 1 and 6. My OH now does the late night feed (9:45pm) which means I can be in bed by 9:30 which means I get a good solid 4 hours sleep before I get disrupted. OH then gets to sleep by 11 and doesn't have to wake up early hours of the morning.

We don't get to spend as much time together with me going to bed earlier, but whats the use of spending time together if you are both tired and grumpy. Not good for the baby either.

Why oh why is it that whenever I post on here about how well Jack is sleeping, he starts to wake? He was awake 3 times last night!:rofl::dohh::hissy:

:rofl: Hope tonight's better for you!

I agree with Munchkin that he could be going through a growth spurt x

My DS did not sleep through the night on a regular basis until he turned 2 and went into a proper bed. We had this trouble, and still even now he'll wake up maybe once a week/fortnight for his dad.
Its hard, but ur LO is still only young, and going through regular growth spurts where he needs extra food xx

Dh and I always share the night duties except on his days off FRI-SAT which i get u friday night and feed max ..Im lucky he dosent need to be rocked just fed , burped and put to bed ..

I am afraid to up his intake of solids as some ppl told me he wont want milk anymore ..I tried to up his milk intake but he cant have more then 5 onz ..should I try to give him more solids like example
7AM OATMEAL

12PM FRUITS

5PM VEGETABLES

The rest of the times in between he always eats 5 onz of milk before the solids and before bed he gets more oatmeal.

what do you think ?

I would up the intake of milk rather than solids, as he would get more nutrition from this. Great that he gets milk before solids. Is there scope to perhaps introduce and additional bottle until his growth spurt is over? How many bottles does he take in a day?

He drinks 35 onz on milk per day ..ill try to give him a lil more

My DS did not sleep through the night on a regular basis until he turned 2 and went into a proper bed. We had this trouble, and still even now he'll wake up maybe once a week/fortnight for his dad.
Its hard, but ur LO is still only young, and going through regular growth spurts where he needs extra food xx

Glad i'm not the only one! Ewan has only jsut started sleeping through regularly and he is 3 years old!!!
They are still young, having growth spurts so need extra food, dont think you are doing anything wrong, he is just a baby and i'm afraid babies will wake up during the night :muaha: one of those annoying things about having kids:sleep:

Jack won't take any more than 6oz of bottle in one sitting & I did try & try before resorting to the solids. He has 5oz of his bottle before his food then if I am making something with rice in it or his cereal, I will add the milk to it to ensure he is getting it all. He normally has a bottle at say 5am, another at 8.30ish followed by baby cereal, then a bottle at 11.30ish, another at 2.30ish followed by a vegetable solid, then another at 5.30ish followed by some rice with puree mixed in, & then a final bottle before bed - WOW! These times vary from day to day, say if he goes for a nap late, so sometimes he has one bottle less, but I always try to fit it in if possible.

Thank you Bev309 im gonna have to try this too , cant hurt to try

Connor is still not a great sleeper. He wakes about 3-4 times a night.

Not that much he had some mixed vegies and about 6 onz of milk & oatmeal and still go up at 4am and 6am :9 but i realized its his freaking nose its all stuffed up and he cant breath right so it wakes him up ..im thinking of raising his matress a lil but wondering if it will affect the angel care monitor ?

my LO is up 4-5 times a night for feed. after a bath he goes to sleep at 8-9pm.he never slept for more than 2hours n he would be awake for next feed

YAY!!!! i tilted his matress so he can breath better and slept from 10pm till 7am whooooo he only got up once cause he lost the dummy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->