home 6hours after birth

moma

Reaction score
hiya, my midwife told me that if you have a natural birth you can be home within 6 hours after birth ?
unless you say you would prefer to stay ?

i said yeah id go home why would you want to be in hospital ?
but now after talking to my mom, im thinking maybe i should stay in ?

it is my first ! , i do have support at home but thinking i will have all family visiting ect am i best letting them come to hospital at visit time so that all done and dusted there and when i go home i get to rest

also want to bf so at least if im in i can make sure i got the hang of it :)

Yeah my mum said the same, that we come out too early these days and easier to relax in hospital :)

I would say play it by ear and see how you feel.
Staying in with your first I think is a good idea, it gives you time to relax and bond without having to worry about cooking, cleaning etc plus help is on hand to get breastfeeding off to a good start as midwives can help you with positioning baby and things.

xx

I would love to go home 6 hours after as the care at the hospital is not too great and i just want to have a nice first night with my DH and baby.
But TBH i cant face family(lots and lots and lots and lots) coming to my house the next day so I might stay in :(

id also just play it by ear , i stopped in 24 hours with my 1st , bout 12 with my 2nd ive been offered a 2 hour discharge this time but ill just see how it goes . depends on the time of day/night too . with my 2nd i was in a ward with people in labour so got no sleep , if i was to get a room or a quiet ward i may consider staying in a bit longer as when i get home i have 2 other kids that will be wanting my attention. id just see how you feel.

It all depends on how you feel really and the size of the ward your going to be on.

With River i wanted to go home asap but couldnt as she poo'ed in my waters so had to stay in for at least 24 hours. I was on a ward with 4 other women and it was alright but River was awake all night and there was only so much help the nurses you could give.

If its busy on the ward its far fro restful what with all the visitors. In most hospitals husbands can be there pretty much all day as can their kids then 2 or 3 times a day all the other visitors.

Obviosly if you have to stay then you have no choice but im planning a HB so i dont have to worry about it

I'm hoping to be home after 6 hours to be honest. I think it just depends on how you are but I know I'd relax a LOT more at home with the support here. Also if we were not in the mood for visitors straight away, our families would totally understand and wait to visit.
x

It depends on you and how you feel.
Also I think it depends on how the birth goes? Some people have to stay in longer than others dont they?
Mines my first and I plan to stay in at least a day. Dont want to go home too soon as Ill be terrified! Not got a clue what to do with a baby yet if Im honest haha. At least in the hospital if I do something wrong they can tell me and help me to do it the correct way.
Also Ive been told you can hemmorage (cant spell that) afterwards or something so if that happens you'd need good care anyways.

I think some people dont feel ready after 6 hours and in that case you should insist that you stay in. They should give you some support with BF and if you've had a difficult birth, keep you under observation for a bit. I've heard of a few people asked to go home because the ward was busy but they didnt feel well enough.

thanks :) i got to see midwife tomorrow may say i think id wana stay the night, there are maximum 6 to a bay on the wards at our hospital and then they are split to natural and surgical wards also , wont be anyone in labour or anything, thin i might feel little better having few hours to get my self straight , i know for a fact if i said no family it wouldnt make a difference im due sunday the then go in following sunday which sil has said they want to stay at ours that weekend as there not from round here and need to come up for a wedding (if i go ) , i have said best not to as i have no space ect at the min im using spare room as storage and had a reply of i dont mind goin on floor in living room :( , well i DO

I'd prefer to stay at least one day and one night. The midwives help with bathing the baby and breastfeeding etc, so it'd be nice to have that support as it's my first, and I'd like to spend some time coming to terms with being a mum before having to go home and actually start being a mum, iykwim.

they couldnt wait to get rid of me with my second baby lol, so i got out very quickly, (it was busy n they needed the bed) which is fine as i hate having to stay in id much rather relax and be at home asap, this time i dont know what will happen as im being induced so dont know how quickly i can leave but i can def say i will be leaving as soon as they say it ok too lol

In the local midwifery unit its your own room. I plan on staying one night, no matter what, so if i give birth at 5am on tuesday ill stay the tuesday night and come home wed! if you know what i mean.

Our midwivery unit is great at supporting first time mums, plus it gives me a full day to bond, ask question, rest and then go home to visitors (we aint having any visitors at hospital) although on the first day its only my parents and sister and his mum, sis and bro (as his dad wont bother). But at different times. our family are quite good at giving chance to settle in before visitin so hopefully they will. If not i just wont answer my door .:haha:pmsl:haha:

I'm planning on staying one night to get some rest if possible and get myself together.

I'm also hoping for as much help as possible with baby care as I have no experience of it and would rather go home having been shown the correct way to do things x

thanks :) i got to see midwife tomorrow may say i think id wana stay the night, there are maximum 6 to a bay on the wards at our hospital and then they are split to natural and surgical wards also , wont be anyone in labour or anything, thin i might feel little better having few hours to get my self straight , i know for a fact if i said no family it wouldnt make a difference im due sunday the then go in following sunday which sil has said they want to stay at ours that weekend as there not from round here and need to come up for a wedding (if i go ) , i have said best not to as i have no space ect at the min im using spare room as storage and had a reply of i dont mind goin on floor in living room :( , well i DO

you need to put your foot down and tell her to stop somewhere else imo .

as for visitors , i said no visitors and got loads it pissed me off tbh, im not telling any of them this time if i stop in haha

ive decided on having a homebirth. This is my 3rd child and I didnt get any rest at all with my 2 in hospital. I couldnt sleep I just watched the baby all night and I had my own room as well. I know if I had her in the hospital they will try and get me out quickly so I might as well stay at home and I have very quick labours.

I'd definitely rather stay in for a little while, it's my first baby and I would want to know that I'm in the best place if anything does go wrong. It'll be nice to get some rest and be able to just spend some time holding my little bundle of joy without worrying about anything

I was in for 6 days with my first as he had an infection and hosnestly if he didnt need injections then I wouldnt of been there. I didnt bf so didn't need any support that way, and they didnt show me how to bath him or anything.

This time I hope to be in and out! Im looking at having to have a c-sect atm so thats blown that out the window

ive been told can come home very soon also if i wish ....but have told them i def!!! want to stay at least one night to make sure me + baby are ok........u never know what could happen esp in the 1st 24hrs hun!! i would suggest u stay in :)

I wouldn't want to be in a hospital longer than needed.
The hospital is full of sick people and bacteria etc, yuck!

I'm having a home birth so I'm hopefully not going to a hospital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->