Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Celesse - there is always the fear at the back of my mind that letting it go on for too long will end up with baby having problems, but I know I wouldn't go past 42 weeks - heck, they're on call til then!!! whats the point of having them on call and me not being left to go til then?! I also agree that the stress of an induction wouldn't be good for baby, trying to explain this to folk is a nightmare - everyone seems to think induction is such a wonderful thing......

Madasa - I do know I'm not being selfish - being in hospital will stress me out, and it turn stress my baby out, as well as my OH, he's backing me 100% as he trusts my judgement plus hates seeing me upset like this. Thank god. I know that I will fight them when it comes to it next week, or should I say IF it comes to it, I need more PMA!

As for trying to bring it on - clary sage for the last 2 weeks, lots of nookie lol, bouncing on my ball like a manic, nipple stimultation (though not with my pump, for some reason I'm wary of this), massage, walking, RLT by the gallon lol...the list goes on!!! I really like the thought of a spa day though, might look into that for the weekend, as relaxed is the last thing I am right now! Plus I've just put brand new sheets on my bed :haha:

I know that I will fight them when it comes to it next week, or should I say IF it comes to it, I need more PMA!

When baby comes, definitely when ... and hoping you dont need to fight too hard!!

Sending tonnes of PMA your way lol :haha:

PMA PMA PMA PMA PMA
You WILL have the home birth you want!!!!!!!!!!
Baby WILL come in the next few days -sweep or no sweep (my first two were late, one by 3 days and one by 9 days - no sweeps given for either)

:hugs::hugs:

I know that I will fight them when it comes to it next week, or should I say IF it comes to it, I need more PMA!

When baby comes, definitely when ... and hoping you dont need to fight too hard!!

Sending tonnes of PMA your way lol :haha:

PMA PMA PMA PMA PMA
You WILL have the home birth you want!!!!!!!!!!
Baby WILL come in the next few days -sweep or no sweep (my first two were late, one by 3 days and one by 9 days - no sweeps given for either)

:hugs::hugs:

THANKYOU!!! I always feel better as the day goes on, and just talking to you ladies has helped my pma TONNES :D

Oh Janiepops i really hope that you get your home birth and I think its disgusting that your midwives are not being supportive :hugs: My midwife said she will be going sweeps from my due date.

I go for my 34 week scan on the 14 June to make sure i don't have a low lying placenta, although my private scans all show a normal placenta but my nhs ones the lady said low lying so we shall see. If all well with the scan then my midwife has said we will start discussing my home birth and so far she can't see a single reason why i couldn't have one - i am so happy that i have such a supportive midwife

Janiepops that is SO maddening, especially as in Glasgow there is such a great homebirth team :( I had a nightmare last time when I lived in another part of the city before but got my homebirth in the end despite a long posterior labour and birth. Could you try making an appt for a massage, at somewhere like Napiers in the West End. I'm sure it's there that they do the clary sage, lavender massage that my friend had and which can help kick things off. You could also try 'sweeping' up at the cervix with Evening primrose oil and see if that helps get things going.

Ive been thinking, last pregnancy, my waters went 2 days before I went into labour and i had to go to the hospital every 12 hours for monitoring, if this happens again will I still be able to have a homebirth?

My waters went and my labour didnt start right away. My MW said they like you to have your baby within 24hrs here but some places are comfortable with you going 72 hrs like one of the girls recently on the thread (sorry name escapes me right now :blush: My MW also said that if I hadnt got going within 24 hours no on could 'make' me go in for an induction. She was really good and basically said she would tell me if she thought everything was ok so I could decide if I wanted to refuse ;) As it was I didnt want to put anyone in a difficult position and so I got bouncing on my ball at tea time and got things going within an hour :)

Ooh thanks MM, I'd hate to plan it all then have to go to hospital afterall at the last minute!!

Hi Ladies,

Any chance I can join in on this group??

I am not expecting but we are TTC and my dream is to have my baby in the birthing pool and OH is very keen on the idea....

:flower:

Janiepops that is SO maddening, especially as in Glasgow there is such a great homebirth team :( I had a nightmare last time when I lived in another part of the city before but got my homebirth in the end despite a long posterior labour and birth. Could you try making an appt for a massage, at somewhere like Napiers in the West End. I'm sure it's there that they do the clary sage, lavender massage that my friend had and which can help kick things off. You could also try 'sweeping' up at the cervix with Evening primrose oil and see if that helps get things going.

I really wish I'd gone with the Royal, I didn't have a good experience with wishaw last time, but thought they would have improved since then. How wrong was I!?!?!
I'm looking into a massage this weekend, hopefully it'll be sods law I book it and can't make it :winkwink:
You think the evening primrose oil will help??? I suppose it wont hurt to try...

Ive been thinking, last pregnancy, my waters went 2 days before I went into labour and i had to go to the hospital every 12 hours for monitoring, if this happens again will I still be able to have a homebirth?

Ju_bubbs - my waters broke early and I was given 72hours before they suggested going into hospital. I thought it would be plenty of time and something would definitely happen but it didn't and I ended up being induced. However I think the stats are something like 9 out of 10 will go into labour within 48hours.

As it turned out it was actually my hind waters that broke so I could have had a bit longer but never mind!!

That was the same as me cactus! I wasn't having a home birth, but they did want me to stay in and i said theres no way i'm staying in for days, I'll just keep coming back so you can monitor baby for half hour!! I ws due to be induced 3 days later, but luckily went into labour in the early hours of the morning, on my induction day.. then it was only my hind waters anyway!

Is there any way they can check which waters (or both) have gone? I was so concerned for cactusgirl I dread to think what I'd be like if mine went early with no onset of labour.

Mine only went at 8-9cm with Aimee, midwife didnt want to break them for me as her head was still a bit high and she didnt want to risk cord prolapse. Do waters have a mind of their own or does your body tend to do the same thing in subsequent labours?

I have no idea about checking which waters, I cant remember how they realised in the end that it was only my hind! My first 2 labours my waters had to be broken, so I was quite shocked when I poured water out on my last one!

Morning ladies- my waters have always had to be broken by mw's as they just dont go themselves, it seems lol. Prob be different this time, now that I have said this lol.

I am not sure what determines when or how to be honest, strong membranes? or hormones?

We inflated and filled out waterpool this am and it's brilliant. Fits perfectly ,lovely and deep and sturdy, I cant wait to labour and hopefully deliver in it yay!!!!!!!
Took almost an hour to fill though, and taking forever to empty -but by then I'll be busy coo-ing over my wee baby boy / sleeping /b-feeding etc so I wont care too much lol.

So excited lol -as is DH, makes it all more real, seeing the birthing pool up and talking about our birth plans etc. I cannot wait now!!!!!!

Have a good ladies n bumps n babies xxx

Whoa!? An hour to fill?? chances are I'd have given birth before its even half way :haha:

Our pool took a good 2 hours because we had to wait for the water tank to reheat but if you had constant running hot I think 30 mins to fill.

My waters going in bed were my first labour sign with Hebe and Sid - with Hebe it was 4am and nothing happened till about 6.30am then the contractions started. With Sid they went at 8am and nothing started till 6pm and I had to tease them out on my ball! :lol: That was my fore waters both times. I imagine the reason they cant really check is due to not wanting to do internals :shrug: They found that ,y hind waters were still intact about 30 mins before Sid was born when they did my first examination :)

I really wish I'd gone with the Royal, I didn't have a good experience with wishaw last time, but thought they would have improved since then. How wrong was I!?!?!
I'm looking into a massage this weekend, hopefully it'll be sods law I book it and can't make it :winkwink:
You think the evening primrose oil will help??? I suppose it wont hurt to try...

I can't say that there's any evidence to say that it makes a difference tbh, but I do know I did this last time and went into labour two days after my EDD. I also had no stitches despite a posterior birth so purely from a 'might have helped me' perspective, I'd recommend it. hope you don't make that massage.

HI Ladies, I need some info and some PMA please!!

I was at the hospital yesterday, and basically got a scan, and baby is 95th percentile!!!:wacko: He's the size of an average newborn at only 34 weeks!

Now my consultant said, all was fine, and was supportive of a homebirth pretty much, she just thinks we make 'em big in my family, as my mum and grandmother all had big babies...
He got a birth weight estimate of 4.2kg i think, so a good 9 and ? lber?!

Anyhow, i went to MW today, and although she too was supportive, she did say she was worried about the size, and explained to me about shoulder dystocia (sp?).

I'm just really having a little freak out now, after being so calm and together about the whole thing.

Has anyone had a baby this big at home, it being their first?

I'm wavering on weather i can do this now...

MW did tell me after i asked, that shoulder dystocia is an emergency and you can lose the baby:nope:

I'd appreciate any HB stories some of you may have, with regards to BIG babies!
THanks ladies...

There was a homebirth diary with the baby having a shoulder dystocia resolved at home, I don't know if it's on the birth.tvlinks website. My baby was 9lbs 3oz and born posterior at home. Noone picked this up though before the labour. There is some good reading on Shoulder dystocia here that might help you decide. I would still go ahead with my homebirth, but it's really a decision you have to make.
https://www.homebirth.org.uk/shoulders.htm#home

My hb appt this morning was great. I'm very happy with my midwife who is lovely and very professional. She had a wee eyeroll at the comment the dr had written in my notes about it being 'too early to decide on a homebirth :lol: which made me chuckle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->