Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Congrats MissKitty!!!!

Well, I found out this morning that my dad told my mom I am having a home birth. Not good, my mom is the biggest worrier ever. On the bright side my dad is doing the talking between, so I don't actually have to talk to her. But if she tells my aunt or grandma I am not going to hear the end of it until the baby comes. Which I wanted to avoid because I know that they will totally harass me about it. Here's hoping that my dad will keep it all under control like he says he will. :)

Now I have to email some stats (my dad has already printed her off some reading material). I also have to find some info on circumcision, she is also very against me not circumcising our little man. She lives in the States, which makes it a little harder as it is still more common there. Whereas in my province there is only one doctor for the entire province which says a lot.

Gina you're not far away she cant worry for too long :)

Yuck i've still got LOADS before me :hissy:

Ok... here is what I've started to put together for my mom. This is the non-statistical part as I'm hoping my doula will send me something for that. What do you think?

My midwife has been a midwife for over 20 years (she was a midwife in the UK before moving here and has been a midwife in BC since it was legalized in 1998). She has also worked in the maternity ward at a local hospital for over 15 years. She stopped counting births she attended as a midwife at 750, so she has lots of experience. Additionally, the majority of transfers to hospital at homebirths she has attended have been for pain relief requests from the mom. I am also less than 5 minutes away from a hospital.

This might help as it shows that there are lots of regulations around home births to make sure that they are safe.
https://www.pomegranate-midwives.com/handouts/CMBC HomeBirthHandbook.pdf

Results from recent study of homebirths attended by a midwife, hospital births attended by a midwife and hospital births attended by a physician in British Columbia:

• The rate of deaths per 1,000 births in the first month of life was 0.35 for the planned home births, 0.57 for the hospital births with a midwife, and 0.64 with a physician, the researchers found.
• Women in the planned home-birth group were much less likely than those who gave birth in hospital to have obstetric interventions including:
o 0.32 times less likely to receive electronic fetal monitoring.
o 0.41 times less likely to have an assisted vaginal delivery.
o 0.41 times less likely to suffer third- or fourth-degree perineal tears.
o 0.62 times less likely to have postpartum hemorrhage.
The caesarean rate when giving birth in a BC hospital is now close to 30% (26% average in Canada) and many US hospitals have caesarean rates close to 50% with an average around 33% for the country. The recommendation from the World Health Organization is 10-15%. Any intervention such as induction, electronic fetal monitoring, epidural, etc, increases your risk of having a caesarean.

Having a midwife means I know who will be attending my birth 100% whether at home or in hospital. My midwife or her back up will be with me throughout my entire labour once the active stage begins. If it takes 2 days, she will be with me 100% of the time for 2 days. With an OB I would get whoever is on call and they only pop in once and a while to check things out. If all progresses normally and I give birth at home I will have 2 midwives for the later stage of labour. They also stay at home with me after birth and help me care for the baby, clean up, feed me, etc. They also will provide the follow up care 6 weeks after birth with the first few weeks visits at home. I get all the support I need for breast feeding, my post-partum care, etc from them at any time. I can continue to phone my midwife 24 hours a day for any issues and they will come see me if I need it. Same goes with my doula, if I need help at any time she is a phone call away and will arrange what I need.

EDIT -- do you think that The Business of Being Born might be a bit too much for her? I was thinking of telling her to watch it.

Gina - I dont know if you saw it but there's a little summary of some info featured in Birthing The Easy Way on this post in the thread >>> HB stats

Gina - I dont know if you saw it but there's a little summary of some info featured in Birthing The Easy Way on this post in the thread >>> HB stats

I actually added that as a second page :) We think alike. Thanks!

At my last apointment, i got the impression that she dident want me to have a waterbirth. She dident say that she dosent but it was realy hinted at.

Should i tell her that im getting a pool or just leave it till she turns up in labour?

I havent decided if i want to give birth in it or just use it to labour in so should it matter?

Well i had to get checked over at the hospital today :dohh: as this baby seems to be really impatient to come out :shock: But the MW kept telling me that they wont come out for a HB until i'm over 38weeks...

Now am i wrong in thinking well sod it what are you going to do if i refuse to come in if i'm over 37 weeks mind?? I've had two MWs tell me that i wont even make it to hospital and tell us how to deliver baby on our own :shock: Am i bad thinking that they have to come out to me??

Not too sure as it's different over here. Our rules are that you can't have a home birth until 37 weeks so even if you give birth at 36 weeks 6 days, you have to be in the hospital. But it doesn't change by city or practitioner as it is set by the rules.

I hope that someone can give you more relevant local information!

I know that whenever there is something that worries me (like my midwifes concern over meconium) that would possibly affect my home birth I constantly say affirmations about it, like my waters will be clear. Makes me feel better and less stressed. :)

Sarah if I were you and I got to 37 wks I'd stay put. You are much safer at home waiting on them than you are rushing to the hospital and having to stop somewhere at the side of the road. No I say anything before ring an ambulance and after 37 stay put.

Congrats Miss Kitty, lovely name :)

Welcome noobs :D

Lozzy if you have your baby under the xmas tree you have to get one of those babygrows that say ' cuter than baby Jesus!' :lol:

Sarah, i would stay put and have dh insist that you are not risking giving birth on the way to hospital.

Thats what i thought :flower:
I wont stay here if i'm before 37 weeks but i just think its mental that they will only see me after 38 :wacko:
Thankeees

I agree it's mental!! Most trusts say 37 wks so I;d go with that ;)

Lozzy, mention it to her if you want. But I'd still go ahead with a pool if that's what I felt would help me with pain relief and relaxation. I doubt she has a good reason for not having one.

Blob, when I was pregnant, the area I was in was 37 weeks and they'd come out. I know of a girl on here (not in this thread) who lives in Scotland, had planned a home birth and was told 38 weeks. I think that's just stupid when 37 weeks is considered term. I'd stay put and say I expected someone to be sent to me and that it was thought you'd labour so quickly anyway, so that you wouldn't make the trip. I'd already decided, when I was pregnant, that if I went into labour at 36+6, there was no way I was going in for the sake of a few hours.

Manda i LOVE your photo :cloud9:

Lozzy why would they not want you to have a waterbirth?? :wacko: If you want one have one? I just ordered mine eeek!! Even if you dont use it to give birth they are still really relaxing :)

Probably the same reason they dont realy want me having a home birth in the first place Sarah, my BMI. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->