Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

morning ladies, last night i joined the BC homebirth boards looking for some local ladies and info and they have been really helpful although the notion of unassisted birth is not talked about over there

There is a free birth group but it's private :)

Thanks, my OH is totally uncomfortable with free birth and tbh having a MW around gives me peace of mind but all praise to the women who go for it, it is interesting to research as there are tips for laboring etc which can help in any natural labor

Linzi, I sort of agree with her about not bothering with oral vitamin K (and some areas don't offer the option). The absorption isn't very good that way. So, I do tend to lean on the side of an IM injection only....but only if it's needed. If there is no birth trauma (and, no, not all births are traumatic, stupid woman she was!) and baby has no risk factors, you can easily just make sure your diet has plenty of vitamin K in it already and it's no issue. I went for it (IM) last time, thinking "it's only a vitamin," but now I think "babies aren't born deficient in something; if it's a normal birth, they're born with what they need," so I'm not likely to want it next time unless there is birth trauma or baby has risk factors (and hopefully that won't be an issue!). x

I know that they don't absorb it as well but it is my choice... all she said was did I know what I was going to do about vit k and I just said I didn't want to make a decision now I wanted to see how the birth went first, which was where the 'every birth is traumatic etc etc' comment came from. She asked me my reservations and I said that I couldn't understand how it was necessary or why it was decided that babies needed astronomical doses straight after birth, when all babys are born with 'low' levels (whatever 'low' means, obviously low is normal?) she even admitted herself it was strange that they were born with these levels and also that there isn't a lot in breastmilk, but it was necessary, just like how pregnant women are taking vit d supplements too (whcih Im not taking either as it happens).

I don't know what my decision is yet, I understand that there probably isnt a lot of point in the oral doses but it is my decision. Don't just want my new baby jabbed in the ass with something she doesn't need for the sake of their paperwork or whatever.

xx

ETA just seen, congrats on your new addition smokey!!! :hugs: xxx

Linzi, in Newcastle they only offer oral vit K. I wanted IM and got the paed to come down and talk to me when I had DD. Apparently only babies that get IM are SCBU babies.

Amazing how it differs from one area to another!

Congratulations smokey! Glad you're feeling ok and looking forward to hearing your story and of course a name! :D

Of course it's your decision, Linzi. I hope you didn't think I was suggesting it wasn't! For what it's worth, the same preparation (Konakian) is used orally, IM and IV. So, it's not like she'd have to get something pricier or even different. The only difference would be that a needle wouldn't go on the end of the syringe. ;)

Hi All,

I didn't get a chance to update my countdown last week amongst all the furore of moving so here I am to update....

8 weeks to EDD

- Pregnancy wise, still feeling well apart from feeling exhausted due to reasons below. Baby is behaving, obs are behaving (I had MW last week) and everything is tip top.
- We moved out of our house last Friday to stay with my Mum until our purchase completes, hopefully in a couple of weeks. It's just a case of pulling all the financials together now. The boring bit!
- I can't register with a GP until I have proof of address, and I can't get proof of address until the purchase completes. Fortunately, my sister is a student MW and currently working in the community out of the surgery that I will be attending, albeit with a different MW. She's hopefully going to arrange for me to be booked straight onto the hospital system in the next week or so to ensure bloods are taken and I'm registered as a mid-trimester transfer rather than just a 'visitor' (as would be the case if anything were to happen prior to my registering).
- I've broken up for the summer holidays from work which nicely coincided with our move, and though mat leave doesn't officially start until 2nd Sept for me, I'm off as of now! Perfect!
- Homebirth is still very much our delivery preference, but I'm still not allowing myself to make too many plans while we're still staying with someone else etc.

Congratulations on all the recent births - I've been reading along but haven't had much opportunity to post over the last week or two!

Congratulations, Smokey! looking forward to hearing all about it when you're ready, and whatever lovely name you choose. Glad to hear you're recovering well, take it easy xxx

Of course it's your decision, Linzi. I hope you didn't think I was suggesting it wasn't! For what it's worth, the same preparation (Konakian) is used orally, IM and IV. So, it's not like she'd have to get something pricier or even different. The only difference would be that a needle wouldn't go on the end of the syringe. ;)

No of course not hun!!! They just don't seem to think sometimes do they :) xx

well today ive had a stressful day so when i started to get bad BH i wasnt suprised.
went for lunch and the BH were getting really strong and actualy started to feel like contractions :wacko: so i had abit of a panic thinking sh*t my frontroom isnt ready for the birth yet lol

thankfuly the pains have stopped so tomo zanes going to ganmas and im getting my ass into gear!

I love it that this is the only place I ever see people willing their babies to say put rather than trying to get them out early!

Once again my boyos showing some synchronicity, Dewi just pooped and now Stanley id trying to poop - he's pulling some classic faces Mind you he hasnt pooped in a couple days so it should be spectacular when it happens..c'mon Bumgenius hold in the poonami!

I have a friend who's saying on fb that she wants to go into
Labour now (28w) as she hates being Preg. Also she wants baby to come out as small as possible. I just don't understand! Fair enough some/most aspects of being Preg aren't nice when you think about em but you're growing a person which is the coolest thing ever.

She calls me an earth mother type for cheering when I puke. It's more like woo I'm pregnant than woo I've been sick. She's had 3 mc so I'd have expected her to be more grateful

Ooh I'm having a bitchy week! Lol

what goes through the heads of some women i'll never know, personally this baby is free to come anytime after 37wks but i know its more likely to come at closer to 42 so wont be stressing lol. but thats down to the fact i know my SPD PGP will be bugging me something chronic by then and the less pain im in the easier it is to have an active labour

drives me nuts when i see woman moan they are pregnant and hate it and want baby out at such early stages.
i no how hard it can be to go overdue but atleast wait till 40 weeks before stressing over it.

if they think pregnancy is hard they are going to get a shock when babies here

Funny but aren't smaller babies supposed to be more difficult to birth in some respects?

They're more likely to be in awkward positions as they have more room to move even in labour.

Some women are far too vain about a part of their body they rarely get to see and isn't exactly on show all the time! Yes I understand the fear of tearing but dang it there are worse things in life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->