Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

so... my midwife asked for my OB records so that she could compare blood levels taken now with what they were at 4 weeks.

went to the OB's office today. receptionist staff was really nice and had me fill out a consent to release form and said it wouldn't take long - they just needed to print it off b/c all the files are electronically stored (plus there's an extra $7 fee for mailing). well, they did print it off, but then, they needed the OB to sign off on the release (what?!? they're MY records!! why does she have to sign off on them?!) - okay, fine, no problem - the OB was in, so it wouldn't be long...

I sat down, and the receptionist then spent the next HOUR going back and forth from the reception area to the exam rooms, and had to keep coming up with excuses - "oh, she JUST stepped in with another patient, but her nurse assistant will get it signed as soon as she's done..." She was seeing patients about even 10 minutes, but she didn't want to sign off on my form - guess she just wanted me to wait. I felt bad for the office staff - they were trying not to make things awkward, but i figured out what was going on after about 30 minutes and 3 patients going in and out...

One hour passed in this manner. Then, the receptionist was like, "I'm so sorry we haven't gotten it signed yet - Dr. R is finishing her last appt of the day, so I'm sure we get her."

Ten minutes later, the nurse assistant stormed into the lobby all important-like, thrust the file folder at me, and said, "Dr. R wanted me to make sure you knew that, when any complications come up, she WON'T be able to take you back into her care." She then went back to the back, and the receptionist had me pay my $10 fee for the copies while trying not to make things any more awkward...

SO GLAD I SWITCHED TO A HOME BIRTH!!!!!!!!!! I have only had 2 midwife appts so far, but they've each been an hour long - i'd already forgotten how quickly they rush you at the OB's!

Anyway, just felt like ranting. If you read all that, i'm impressed, lol!

Hope you ladies are feeling okay as we prepare for the big day!!

so... my midwife asked for my OB records so that she could compare blood levels taken now with what they were at 4 weeks.

went to the OB's office today. receptionist staff was really nice and had me fill out a consent to release form and said it wouldn't take long - they just needed to print it off b/c all the files are electronically stored (plus there's an extra $7 fee for mailing). well, they did print it off, but then, they needed the OB to sign off on the release (what?!? they're MY records!! why does she have to sign off on them?!) - okay, fine, no problem - the OB was in, so it wouldn't be long...

I sat down, and the receptionist then spent the next HOUR going back and forth from the reception area to the exam rooms, and had to keep coming up with excuses - "oh, she JUST stepped in with another patient, but her nurse assistant will get it signed as soon as she's done..." She was seeing patients about even 10 minutes, but she didn't want to sign off on my form - guess she just wanted me to wait. I felt bad for the office staff - they were trying not to make things awkward, but i figured out what was going on after about 30 minutes and 3 patients going in and out...

One hour passed in this manner. Then, the receptionist was like, "I'm so sorry we haven't gotten it signed yet - Dr. R is finishing her last appt of the day, so I'm sure we get her."

Ten minutes later, the nurse assistant stormed into the lobby all important-like, thrust the file folder at me, and said, "Dr. R wanted me to make sure you knew that, when any complications come up, she WON'T be able to take you back into her care." She then went back to the back, and the receptionist had me pay my $10 fee for the copies while trying not to make things any more awkward...

SO GLAD I SWITCHED TO A HOME BIRTH!!!!!!!!!! I have only had 2 midwife appts so far, but they've each been an hour long - i'd already forgotten how quickly they rush you at the OB's!

Anyway, just felt like ranting. If you read all that, i'm impressed, lol!

Hope you ladies are feeling okay as we prepare for the big day!!

:growlmad: Its sad to say that I am not really surprised. Just another reason to hope for a home birth!

really that proves that youre better off out of there. if thats their attitude then how would they react if you disagreed with them under their care, would they kick you out if you refused induction or an epidural? if you didnt have a backup you'd be buggered and I bet theyd just be glad to be covering their ass.

got mine "allowed" 18th September. woo hoo i'm soooooooo excited

After my crappy consultant appointment I got myself referred to another hospital and consultant appointment for that hospital is tomorrow. Got myself a natural hosptial birth plan all written (In the VBAC thread if anyone wants a read).

Home is my first choice, but the system is causing me anxeity and that anxeity in labour won't be good. Hopefully I can get a birth plan agreed that I can feel positive about, even if the location isn't my first choice. I'm not giving up on the possibility of a Home Birth altogether, but I don't want to feel like I'm on a crusade even when the contractions start!

Hope they let you have your home birth hun!! There is only one way they could change my mind and that would be to 100% for sure give me the birth pool lol

After my crappy consultant appointment I got myself referred to another hospital and consultant appointment for that hospital is tomorrow. Got myself a natural hosptial birth plan all written (In the VBAC thread if anyone wants a read).

Home is my first choice, but the system is causing me anxeity and that anxeity in labour won't be good. Hopefully I can get a birth plan agreed that I can feel positive about, even if the location isn't my first choice. I'm not giving up on the possibility of a Home Birth altogether, but I don't want to feel like I'm on a crusade even when the contractions start!

Good stuffs!

Probably missed a bit while we were gone on our camping trip.. Talk to my mom (midwife) she said she was planning on being in Costa Rica when my baby is due to arrive... I just can't help but think, "now what??" We don't have home birth midwives in our area. Unassisted? This is our second.. I just HATE hospitals.. I can't bring my self to the thought of doing it in a hospital. Or to have an unassisted birth at the moment. Disappointed.

still not got hold of my MW to tell her my plans lol gotta call to book an appointment with her anyway in the next week so will ask them to get her to give me a call so we can discuss it

Whens a good time to buy your birth pool? The one im looking at offers next day delivery so I was thinking about 36/37weeks when im full term to order it..

Still need to find myself a bump buddy haha! But knowing me ill be on here in labour I was with kyle

I ordered mine earlier then that to make sure that if I didn't like it or it had a defect I had time to send it back.

i was going to order mine at 36 weeks as i wanted it inflated at 37 weeks

Anyone know of a good resource on how to use a medicine ball during pregnancy and birth? Having a sit now on my Freecycle one and I'm soooo comfy but a quick google didn't produce much. Just stuff saying it was good. Right so what do I do. Just sit?

Medicine balls as in the really heavy basketball sized balls? Sounds terribly uncomfortable :(

The la bassine pools aren't very big to store at all. I've put mine in the nursery to be just now. Will inflate around 37 weeks to check for punctures.

Hm maybe that's the wrong name for it. Big blow up balls 65cm tall. Use em in pilates and stuff.

i sat on my ball and rocked my hips side to side during contractions and also lay my head on it and let my bump hang down and rocked back and forth.

i also found that sitting on it and pushing down with my hands during the really bad contractions helped abit lol

Oh, I never used my gym ball during labour but I did use it alot to get amelie to turn from back to back (didn't work haha). Will use it a lot more this time hopefully cos i'll be at home and have it there.

I didnt really use mine in labour but late on I found it more comfy to just sit on and circle my hips a bit, and to lean over while kneeling on the floor...easier to get up and down from then being on hands and knees and I could roll forward a little bit over the ball and it would help stretch my back out a little bit.

Gym/birth balls are good even if you only use them as a foot stool lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->