Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Stanley has been moved into the spare room in the big cot for the past few days - jut testing to see how he copes in a big cot. So far no fuss at all and we arent woken up when he's restless.

He's moving into the box room with Dewi some point in the next week, him in the cot and Dewi is in the bottom of the bunk beds like big boy!

I'm due 26h Sept, so 4 weeks today. I have my 36 week appt with GP tomorrow where if bubs is not head down (or she can't tell where it is - most likely!) I will be sent for a scan. Please keep your fingers crossed bubs is head down!

If baby is head down I will get on and order my la basinne and try to get sorted a bit for home birth. I still haven't actually spoken to my midwife regarding a homebirth as I haven't actually met her yet since we moved! I am to phone her tomorrow and she will come round for the home birth assessment sometime before I am 37 weeks she assures me! (nothing like leaving it to the last minute!) - I just hope she is more pro-homebirth than the other lady I spoke to!

Sam get someone to buy you a liner as a gift. You can get them in without crinkles if who ever is doing it takes the time over it. Whether he is there or it's K or someone else, you will want that special time with them uninterrupted if you possibly can. If you end up putting the liner in yourself you can make sure it's super smooth x

Yer i decided i am going to buy one, it will save so much hassle. Ill get K to help me put it in and get all the crinkles out x

Thanks im excited to talk to others about this experience some people can be mean when you talk to them about natural birth

Thanks im excited to talk to others about this experience some people can be mean when you talk to them about natural birth

Apparently we're the nutters of the forum?! We dont take what MW/Dr's say for rote as they often dont have your interests at heart and we dont do as we're told and we dont want to pump ourselves and our babies full of drugs!

TBH, if anything my MW is very pro homebirth and truly is supportive and thinks its the best way for me to have my baby :cloud9: At my home visit she asked me what pain relief i had with amelie and when i mentioned diamorphine she said i would need to get it from my doc but she'd not recommend it and would suggest I go as natural as possible. She was glad I am opting for a physiological 3rd stage with delayed cord clamping too. So glad Ive not come up against nasty MWs who arent at all supportive. Not come up against a doctor thankfully but theres often a Nurse/MW vs Doctor thing. Our attitudes towards patients are generally very different.

One of my MW's thought that HBAC was my best choice as I'd get better care. I loved her she was ace, a straight talker too

my MW is quite hard to understand! with imogen i wanted a HB but as i had just suffered a MMC i decided on hospital as i was scared of loosing another baby (little did i know how crap that experience would be!!) and my MW said oh well im not an advocate for HB anyway!! ok then!
fast forward to my last MW this time (same mw) she asked if i was intrested in HB, i said i was and id love one but OH was very worried of the what if's so we'd agreed to go for hospital. then she asked if it would help if she spoke to him about the pro's of home birth and try and change his mind!! WTF!!! where did that come from if she wasnt an advocate for HB not so long ago! unless its because its my 2nd i dont know!
anyway OH has changed his mind anyway and at least i know she'll be all for it when it comes to it!

quick Q anyway- with HB is it your's or another community MW that attends the birth, depending who is on call? i know she'll give me all this info but im not seeing her now until 28 weeks! feels forever away lol. xx

It varies on area but usually it'll be whoever is on call, so you could have anyone same as if you go to hospital.

If you want to ensure some kind of continuity of care you need an IM or a doula.

That said I was very trusting of all the MW's I'd met in my area, I got 2 lovely MW's attending me at home and then in hospital when I had to transfer thankfully the MW was great too.

yeh i had a lovely MW when in labour with imogen, but theres always that worry thinking your going to get a horrible old school nurse who doesnt want to listen to your plan etc ha ha! this time around im very determined so im ready to take them on!!

Ive got a mw appt next Monday and if she's crap and unsupportive again im changing and making sure she doesn't come out for the birth. I really don't think she's up to speed in anything current. She might have been ok 10yrs ago but I think she's just phoning it in now. Everything she tells me is wrong or judgemental!

She told me that scans were harmful which was quite worrying seeing as the hospital had told me I would need at least 6! I know theres debate over it but she could have said 'oh some people (me included) believe that scans are harmful but there's argument for the other side too' it something similar. It's like a health visitor telling you that innoculations are harmful without telling you the other side

SO wish I could afford an IM. I dint mind her checking my pee and blood pressure but I do not want her looking after me in my last weeks unless she's significantly changed at the next appt. I doubt it but i feel like i gotta give her another chance. Third time lucky!

thats quite bad really! surly as a community MW the practice should ensure she is up to date on developments in the midwifery/pregnancy world! whats the point on her giving advice from 10 years ago! its all out of date! lol.
and she shouldnt be putting her beliefs on her patients either, giving info fine but saying scans ARE harmful is her belief and thats very unprofessional. hope shes a bit better next week! so frustrating though. is she the only on at your practice? maybe ask at reception to change if theres more than one. xx

There's two but they share the list so it's just luck which one you get really. I've tried being subtle and asking if I could see the other so I've met them both but old cowbag turned up again anyway.

i have to make my next MW appointment today gonna call her though and see if she can do a home visit for it as i want to talk HB stuff and its such a pain having to watch the boys constantly in her office

just found this
interesting to hear 3 doula's talk about differnt labour and delivery questions

my MW is quite hard to understand! with imogen i wanted a HB but as i had just suffered a MMC i decided on hospital as i was scared of loosing another baby (little did i know how crap that experience would be!!) and my MW said oh well im not an advocate for HB anyway!! ok then!
fast forward to my last MW this time (same mw) she asked if i was intrested in HB, i said i was and id love one but OH was very worried of the what if's so we'd agreed to go for hospital. then she asked if it would help if she spoke to him about the pro's of home birth and try and change his mind!! WTF!!! where did that come from if she wasnt an advocate for HB not so long ago! unless its because its my 2nd i dont know!
anyway OH has changed his mind anyway and at least i know she'll be all for it when it comes to it!

quick Q anyway- with HB is it your's or another community MW that attends the birth, depending who is on call? i know she'll give me all this info but im not seeing her now until 28 weeks! feels forever away lol. xx

If my MW is on call then yes, she'll attend my birth. Shes going to try and be on call for the weeks surrounding my EDD :) my mws work on a first on site basis. when i go into labour, i call my GP mws and they come to me unless theyre already at another HB. If they are, it gets passed to a 2nd team. When the 1st teams woman is ready to push, and the 2nd team are at another HB, they phone a 3rd team to attend too :)

Means I'll defo get my home birth. It used to be that if my MWs were already at a homebirth then i simply couldnt have one :eek:

Hi ladies, can I join you?
I'm hoping to have a natural home birth, in fact about to tell my midwife today and hoping I don't meet with any resistance. It's lovely to find people with similar mentalities!

Oh I hope I get my mw then! She's got a bit of an annoying voice (lol) but I've seen her throughout my pregnancies so would be nicer than having one I've never met before. Hope you get your as well. Xx

Thanks blah!
Just had my midwife appointment and I'm all sorted, she's coming to my home at around 35 weeks to go through everything with us. She was positive about it and I'm very pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->