Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

My midwife appt went well - baby is still head down :happydance: so I am assuming now that s/he won't revert back to breech/transverse now!

The midwife was joking with me that Friday night would be a good time for me to go into labour as she is on call - and I was like "deal" - if only it was that easy! I had Sophia at 39 weeks so we will see, i bet I go two weeks over now!

I had bad swelling of my feet with Sophia, putting them in a bucket of iced water helped (although it was a hot summer that year unlike this year!)

Any of you fancy riding a bike to hospital or birth centre when in labour?!?!?!!

https://offbeatmama.com/2011/09/cyc...Mama+(Offbeat+Mama)&utm_content=Google+Reader

https://www.copenhagenize.com/2011/09/cycling-with-contractions-to-hospital.html

I suppose it beats walking!

Hi Ladies.

Not done much posting lately. I am now officially on team Hospital Birth. Ironically its going to be going into hospital that will give the best chance at a low stress, empowering, natural birth where I am in control.

My 20 week consultant appointment was horrible, where I was told how stupid it was to have a home VBAC and that no one would support me and that I would no help until the point I called up MAU in labour and refused to come in, where a midwife who hadn't delivered a VBAC for at least 10 years would begridingly come out to me and try and convince me to transfer. Now I although I know that the consultant fed me a big pile of B/S it got me worried about the institutional attitude at the RVI, which was the attitude I'd observed in several staff memebers I'd met including the community midwife who did my booking. At the same appointment in the spirit of open mindedness also asked about the care I could achieve in hospital. I was told birth centre (a floor down from consultant led labour ward) was 100% no. Then got told they would try and be flexible, but in the same sentance told me I wouldn't be allowed in the bath during labour.

So I transfered my care to another hospital, the QE in Gateshead. I got an appointment a couple of weeks later. I spoke to a lovely midwife who could totally see where I was coming from and said I didn't need to see the consultant again cos they wouldn't have anything useful to say! She listened to the birth plan and said that she wasn't able to ok it, but got me an appointment with the head of labour ward to go through the birth plan. The midwife also said to me that she would love it if she was on duty when I came in, to be able to help me achieve my positive birth.

Meeting with head of labour ward was also very positive. She didn't say no to anything in my birth plan. She did give me some facts on why some things are recommended. As well she told me that recently they had a lady VBAC and deliever in the pool, with intermitant monitoring (obvisouly at the ladies request and against advice but they still allowed her to do it). They are also hoping to get some mobile CTG's in the next few months, but can't guarentee it will be before my D-day. Head of labour ward is also pro-doula and suggested getting one. Next step is a meeting with head of labour ward, a consultant and myself to get the final birth plan written up. They will go through everything that is against normal advise with me and the meeting so the midwife looking after me in labour wont have to and I can just get on and have a baby. The birth plan then gets signed off by all 3 of us and placed at front of the notes.

----
The reality of home as a location for me would have meant I was worried about the attitude I'd be met with when I called up in labour, worried about the midwife send out to me if I didn't know her that she could just want to transfer me in, worried that I'd transfer into the RVI and be met with "I told you so" looks. And all that worry was setting me up to fail and wouldn't be good in helping me labour. Even a strong birthing partner and experienced doula couldn't relieve the amount of anxiety I had about it.

I spoke to my own midwife yesterday and she has taken me off the home birth list. She is taking the fact I was refused admission to the birthing centre to her superisors meeting. She wants women who are high risk and informed to have the option of delivering in the birthing centre, rather than feeling pushed into home birth, or in my case another city! She was talking about suggesting allowing women in even if the home birth team had to go and look after them on the birthing centre to give "high risk" women more options.

I guess I'm now home birthing in mind, if not in location.

Glad you will be getting a supportive birth hun shame you wont get your home birth though. :flower:

All last night I just had this strange feeling that im not going to make it to my due date, not sure why but its all that was going though my head last night while I was trying to fall asleep.. Night before I also had a dream I delivered twins instead of just the one lol

I think it probably is water retention fides- my face is a little puffy too :blush: thanks for the tip!

That sounds really positive celesse :thumbup: although i'm sorry for what you had to go through to get to where you are now :hugs: I hope everything goes a lot more smoothly from now on, and like you say, once the plan is in place you can just focus on getting on and having a baby and let them worry about the rest of it!

Good for you Celesse, for standing up for yourself. I don't think home birthing is purely about being at home. I think it's much more important to have the birth you want no matter where you are, you could have an awful birth at home, or a wonderful hospital birth, location is no guarantee, and the fact you have everyone on board and signed up to your birth plan means you're a jump ahead of all the other ladies. No one has asked me about my birth preferences and I'm due now!

Celesse...sound like you've made the best decision for you, you have to feel comfortable with your choices and if HB makes you uncomfortable because of the MW's then stick with the hospital. What you ave described sounds good!

As for me, had my Mirena fitted today....another 10 minutes fiddling around i there - 'hmmm the opening to your cervix is rather tight so I'm just having to work a little harder to get it in...' errrr hold on mister I pushed a blooduy baby out of that a few weeks ago! TIGHT WTF?!?!

LOL normal services can be resumed at last!

Oh and they've said the little skin tag I have down there can be taken off if I want as it isnt big they can do it in surgery.....by burning it off.... BORK!!

Celesse i think it sounds like you have got to a good place in your head and i believe that home birth is as much a state of mind as it is about the 4 walls you birth in xx

Unrelated ish question how many of you ladys believe in "sods law"?

My mum is soo soo desperate for me to not have this baby early espesh NOT the 14th november so 6days before my due date any other day of the month is "good" for her..

Anyone care to place bets on if sod's law works and I will have my daughter on my brothers birthday lol We are betting if I do it will be like 23:59:59 :haha:

whats sod's law? my lil brother has a birthday on the 2nd of feb im due the 14th!

celesse sorry the local care team werent supportive of your inital choice im glad its worked out for you though and hope you can properly relax when the time comes, i missed my 28wks appointment yesterday and OH rebooked it but we are away that week so got to call the MW direct and see if she can do a home visit instead before we go away

Hi ladies :hi:

I'm hoping for a home water birth, my midwife came out this morning to book me in and bring their box of equipment. They'll be on call for me as of Monday - I'm so excited now :)

I'm due on 10th October with a little girl x

hi roxy, so exciting that things are getting in place for you. xxx

Hi ladies :hi:

I'm hoping for a home water birth, my midwife came out this morning to book me in and bring their box of equipment. They'll be on call for me as of Monday - I'm so excited now :)

I'm due on 10th October with a little girl x

Did your BP come back down? So pleased that you're all booked in and MWs are getting ready to be on call for you :)

Thank you ladies :)

wigglywoo, yes my blood pressure was perfect the following morning (120/78) and my blood tests all came back clear. The only times it was high was on days where I'd been in work, so I was advised to start maternity leave which I did yesterday.

Fingers crossed it'll stay within normal ranges now I'm getting plenty of rest :)

shiv, so glad baby's staying head-down!!

celesse, :hugs: i hope you can feel more at peace about your birth now.

roxy, congrats on the low bp - hope it does stay low. :)

update: had my m/w appt yesterday, and the baby is certainly head-down!! :yipee: we scheduled my home visit for 2 weeks from yesterday - i have 2 weeks to get things together, then it will be a matter of waiting for the baby... yikes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->