Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Thought I'd introduce myself seeing as I belong here now :)

I'm Olivia and I live in New Zealand and this is my first baby. My MW is really into doing things 100% naturally, and about listening to your body to find the birth position for you which is exactly what I want.. she's awesome :D

I'm planning on a water birth at home when my LO is due in April of next year, my Mom had my youngest sibling at home and she is an OB-GYN so I know I'll be looked after :)

I'm not 100% on how the home-birth thing works here, I've not been given any reason to expect I wouldn't be allowed my homebirth as of yet.

As I'm only 18 a lot of people are pretty negative about my choice to be at home, saying once I feel the labour pain I'll beg to go to the hospital and my hips are too narrow for a home birth.. my pregnant friends around my age all make out like I'm unaware that a home birth= no epidural. Hoping I can find support from other home birthers here!

I'm signed up for homebirthing classes at the start of next year but as there isn't a large demand for them, sadly I'll probably wind up missing out. I'm also about to start a yoga class for pregnant people.

I'm excited to read your birth stories and hear more about everyone :flower:

Hi Olivia! Welcome to the friendliest part of the forum (in my opinion :thumbup:)

Don't worry about the negativity, we've all faced it at some stage from someone. There is lots of support here so get stuck in and ask any questions you may have.

Hello Olivia!

Omg im walking to amelies nursery. Big mistake. I may die en route. I'm so unfit I feel physically sick. Having a rest on a bench at the mo!

Hi Olivia

my sister had a homebirth 16 months ago in Chch, NZ as far as i know she didnt face any opposition to her plans and i believe shes planning to HB again next year with her second baby due early Feb

Hello Olivia!

Omg im walking to amelies nursery. Big mistake. I may die en route. I'm so unfit I feel physically sick. Having a rest on a bench at the mo!

i made the mistake of walking from town to zanes nursery while pregnant (i have to get a bus to town from my house) i almost died haha so i became lazy n either got a taxi or caught a bus from town to the nursery lol

i have to walk to Nate's nursery when DH is back at work as theres no bus that goes there or near enough to make it worth catching and im not insured on the car

Hello Olivia!

Im like that with kyles pre-school by the time I get home again I need a nice shower and a new set of clothes from the sweat its made me break out into! :blush:

sorry for my recent absence :flow:
& Thank you for the add :friends:

In case you all didn't know, homebirth was not an option for me as my insurance would not pay for it (I live in the US) and we could not afford to pay privatley. So the next best option = birthing at a Free Standing Birth Center (FSBC). You all are pretty close in nature (birth wise) so i thought i would fit in here (better than i would anywhere else :thumbup:) So thank you for "adopting me" :haha:

We found two days ago that i have another :blue: bump!!!! Can't wait. Isaiah will be a big brother to Elliot :cloud9:

hey im in the US as well and will be having a free standing birth center birth as well due to insurance ! Its nice to meet someone like me ha ha i feel i dont fit in most places but these ladies are wonderful!

yay! I finally have an {almost} birth twin! :haha: Thats neat! Yeah, fitting in can be hard...i want a siggy that looks like the homebirth hopefuls only it be for FSBC hopefuls! Seriously lol I think we should get one and start a trend lol

Ugh! I just received a copy of my birth notes from my MW from when my son was born. She knew from pretty much the time she arrived I was struggling and having a hard labor, and she fucking did nothing! She spent a lot of my labor in my guest room laying down. Why did she not call back up? Why did she not give me better support? I have never felt more alone in this whole process than I do now.

birth pool woman is being a total spaz. for some reason shes refunded the money and now wants me to repay. sounds like a total con to me but im afraid shes just an idiot. cant be bothered with messing with her. she can pay the ebay fees tho and not get anything for it either!

HUGS Sam.

Reading notes is always tough, have you thought about getting a debrief at all...it can help put somethings to rest.

Hi Olivia and welcome! :wave:

Samantha675 - Lots of hugs :hugs:

Won a pool liner on eBay and had to pay ozver the odds due to lack of stock everywhere :(. Still, at least I will have one (unless baby decides to arrive in the next couple of days!). Just need to get the boiler fixed (waiting for the plumber to actually call us back still!) and get a tap adapter!

Having some bump piccies done tomorrow after school and seeing the midwife in the morning. I so don't want to go.

Just did the pre-school walk on the way back felt like baby was trying to fall out!! She seems to of moved back up now though, was sooo uncomfy!!

LOL I thought something was wrong for a second then I worked out what's happened...everything in the house is asleep!

Dewi having a nap in his bed, Stanley fallen asleep on my lap after some milk and even the puppy is asleep on her bed.

Weird.

so seen my midwife and my paper work filled out to request HB, she was telling me about the baby she delivered last xmas eve! she asked about imogens birth and what pain relief i had. said i had epidural due to the pitocin, and that i had PROM and i wasnt progressing quickly enough for them the next day, although i was contracting every 4-5 mins!! she said if the same was to happen this time the time frame for PROM is the same and that i'd have to go in! i didnt argue today, i'll save that for another time, but i know what i want to say if it does happen. and its all going in my birth plan anyway, that i just want monitoring unless signs of infection/distress. also with imogen i was given 24 hours, but ive seen others being given 48 hours sometimes more before they had to go in! im hoping as this is the second one. it wont go down that route but you never know do you!
also is it very naughty if my waters broke and i didnt start contracting for a while to fib about when it happens? obviously if the waters are clear etc, im a nurse so i know what im looking for when it comes to signs of infection too. its was just a nightmare and i want to avoid any of that again at all costs! i want my HB!!! xxxx

With my first I planned a homebirth adn labour started with waters going and contractions began right away. I was lied to (really) and told 9 hours in I would have to transfer after 18 hours without delivery for antibiotics. Obviously then I was too distraught to labour properly! Turns out the policy then and now at my hospital is 96 hours before even induction and the antibiotics are for GBS (which I wasn't). Total cock up that ended up in a very ruined birth. Anyway I decided this time I would simply not tell them me waters had gone. You can monitor your own fluid to make sure it looks clean. You can feel your baby move yourself. You can check your temperature to ensure it isn't rising which can be a sign of infection. Obviously you need to do what you feel safe with but you're certainly under no legal obligation to tell them anything! In the event my waters didn't go til transition and most came it with the baby. I didn't ring the hospital until 21 hours of labour had passed. The on-call mw actually arrived after the birth but my own mw was on at the brith center so she came over 1 and a quarter hours before delivery. You can tell them what you want when you want as makes you feel most safe and secure.

id lie about when waters broke too tbh. Do you have a thermometre to keep an eye on your temp?

Anyway, i'm pretty sure my little man has went head down! bump has dropped and his movements are a lot lower and not anywhere near as uncomfortable. I hope I'm right haha.

Awww hope he is head down at last!
Yeh I have a thermometer and would check regulary and obviously it it looked like there was meconium in waters I'd have to go in but I'm very inclined to lie now just to avoid and unnecessary intervention. Just wanted to check others agreed ha ha. Wish I'd of lied with Imogen in hindsight! Waters were clear, she was moving loads still, I was fine no temp etc, and when they monitored her she was happy. In goes the pitocin and she starts deceling, I couldn't cope when the rate was turned right up and ending in forceps! So much for a natural active birth eh!!

im gonna need to bring up my BP in labour issue with my MW. I totally downplayed it when i told her and i dont think she realised i needed 3 lots of labetalol to bring it down. It was just anxiety related though, and it went back to normal straight after she was born. Hopefully I can get a GP to prescribe me it just incase? I dont want them panicing about raised BP and pre-eclampsia again and pressuring me for transfer :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->