Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Congratulations, MandaAnda!

And I hope the reflexology is nice and relaxing, Mervs Mum.

I am working on clearing up my flat now the plasterers are gone. I am trying to be positive about it: at least me being on my hands and knees scrubbing the floors is a recommended position to be in!

Please may I be added to the list?? Im due on August 13th and I have opted for a home birth. Wanted one with my first but for that reason they wouldn't let me, no excuses this time hehe. Thank you:) xxx

Congrats MandaAnda also xxx

Congrats MandaAnda!!

Now that I feel more confident about this whole home birth idea, can I be added to the list? Apart from my ticker I'm still down as being due 21st of June everywhere, so we'll stick with that :thumbup: Baby number one and she's a girl :pink:

:)

xx

wow, i'm so behind. please excuse the lack of punctuatation and extra typos - i'm typing one-handed as baby in the other arm. :)

massive congrats to cupcake and amanda. mya is absolutely beautiful and i'm so glad your homebirth worked out so well. sounds like amanda did terrifically after having to cope with the meconium scare. really impressive.

things have been a little crazy here. i had some bad chest pains in the night on friday night - thought it might be indigestion so munched some rennies, took a couple of ibuprofen and settled down on the sofa and breathed through it. i must have fallen asleep. i was fine when i woke up and thought no more of it.

saturday night, i'd been up with isaac and we'd both drifted off when i was awoken by the pain again. had to go to the loo, and by the point i was on the loo it was baaaad. as bad as the worst of my labour but constant. i got myself on to the floor but couldn't find a position that eased it any and couldn't breathe through it. i goit pretty scared. somehow i managed to get to the bathroom door and open it and call for peter to take care of isaac. when he saw the state of me he called an ambulance. they put me on o2 and took me to the hospital - my bp at one point was ~70/30 - really scary. :( we spent the best part of the day in the hospital making sure i hadn't had a heart attack or pulmonary embolism, which thank goodness i hadn't. i didn't realise new mums were at high risk for pes, so don't ignore any chest pains, girls. no answers as to what caused the chest pressure and pain, but an aquaintance who's a physio thinks it could be my thoracic spine - hangover from labour and poor feeding posture.

it gets better! peter managed to bring home a nasty case of norovirus, which isaac then went on to develop. ;( touch wood, i've escaped it so far (my hands are in bits from all the washing) but it's been a tough few days. it just confirmed to me that hospitals are the last place you want to be if you're not sick. *sigh*

sorry for all that. really glad things are going so well for you now, er - great news. sorry things are so bloody stressful re sids position, lisa - that's got to be really hard to deal with. :hugs: nightkd, the midwives sound fab - all looking good for a homebirth. :)

welcome to the new homebirth hopefuls. this group is so fab and supportive. i love seeing all the new people wanting home births - they're the dbs! :D

eta - how could i forget kelly! huge congrats on your successful homebirth, lovely. :hugs:

Hi Girls!!!

Havent been on here so have just spent the last half an hour catching up!!

BIG CONGRATULATIONS to Manda and Cupcake!! (Cupcake......your girlie is boooootiful!!) and its so great to see more ladies joining in here!!

My update!!

SPD still bad (am now using crutches and a pelvic support belt) but im ok apart from that. Had growth scan and baby is roughly 4lb 2oz which really surprised me as i expected her to be smaller so im really pleased with that. They gave an expected birth weight in the 6lb mark so no-one can moan with that! Also, BABY IS ENGAGED!!! Her head was so far down that the scanner woman could only see part of her head!! Have been getting lots and lots of shooting pains "down there" too!! I thought babies didnt engage til later in second plus pregnancies?!

Dont see my mw until 27 March so i am assuming we will discuss my homebirth in depth. (My old MW has left and this new one i saw briefly after turning up at the health centre). Dont know why though, but i have a "feeling" i will have the baby at the end of this month....??!!

Bought some shower curtains and going to get some toiletries etc next week. Oh and ordered my double buggy yesterday. Its a cheap version of the Phil and Ted (by Obaby) so hoping that does the trick.

Congrats Manda and Cupcake :yipee:

Can I please be added Lisa...29th August

Also everytime i've told a MW about wanting a HB they have looked at me like i'm a fool :nope: Its kind of getting off putting....

Rachie...i get told both, sometimes i get told you engage faster in second pregnancies and other times i get told in second pregnancies they dont engage until labour :wacko:

Rachie I really feel for you with the spd, big love to you girl. :hugs:

Welcome Blob :), be prepared to stick to your guns if you want to go all the way with your lovely homebirth. The homebirth.org website was a blessing to me, and the support on this thread is fab but if you read through the whole one hundred and something page thread..:rofl: You will see the fight that I have had, and I am only just winning my battle. But its your choice hun, and no one can tell you where your 'allowed' to give birth.

I do think it depends largely on your area, as if your booked in at a pro homebirth trust they tend to be more positive towards your plans. They are not pro homebirth in my area at all! Anyway Im babbling on but Im so glad more people are joining this thread.

EternalRose x x

Thanks Lisa and Eternal Rose :hugs:

I dont think this area is at all i dont know anyone in any of the toddlers and baby groups that even considered a home birth :nope:
But having my DH really supportive also is going to help i think :)

:rofl: Thankeeeeee is quite strange Robin is making me change all my names on my notes and things :haha: I'm too lazy!!

How did the wedding go Sarah? You're due the day after my birthday! :D

I have just come back from seeing the midwife. She has said she is going to come out to me two weeks today to book in my homebirth. ( Or another experienced midwife will) I am so excited its untrue!! :happydance: Got to get my little birth box done from now until then as they want to see the room set up, so need to buy an airbed for the lounge and get my aromatherapy oils etc. So glad things are progressing now, still got a little bit of protocol though. As per care plan, I have to see the consultant at 36 weeks which will be a complete waste of time. She did sort of hint that its my choice if I go or not though. :winkwink: I will go anyway, it will give me something to do for the day. :lol: I wil end up seeing just another regular midwife and she will do my bp, urine and send me on my way. :dohh: One more postive thing though, they are going to make sure only Band 6 or Band 7 midwives come out to me which I am really happy about as now I know only the real experienced midwives will be attending my homebirth. Thank God!

EternalRose x x

This may be covered in this thread but it's so huge!

What happens to all the tests that baby usually has in the hospital with a home birth? For instance, the hearing test, the vit K injection etc?

Gosh ladies!! I go away few a few days, and sooooo much has happened on this wonderful buzzing page!!

ER - I'm massively releived and happy for you hon.. just tickled pink, it has all come to nothing and you have been so strong and stuck with it. It's just such a shame, that you have to fight to get the right people on board - you must be a trail-blazzer for your area!! :) :happydance:

I also just wanted to say what happened to us with the vit k, and hearing test etc:
We were offered either the injection of vit K at home (I didn't have to order it TBH, I hadn't even thought about it in my birth plans), or to book with the community MWs to have it orally. We decided on the cuff to have the injection. I still question to this day whether it was really needed?

All of our appointments were arranged for us after she was born,and except the hearing test, all of our appointments were at home (g.p check, etc). The only time we had to travel out was to go for the hearing test (that was 5 days later). We attended a specailist hearing centre in the hospital, and it took all of 2 mins. They put a little sensor in her ear, I didn't hear a sound.. and hey presto, they tested her ears through all sound ranges, and it was normal. Easy peezy. We felt very special, as the lady that tested us was a little bemused, as she hadn't tested a home birth baby before, and wouldn't have come into contact with such a young baby, unless there were problems. She was smashing.

I've prob got more to say, as I'm quite few pages from the end and still catching up

Well done again ER - I'm soooo happy for you!
xxx

I have a Q about homebirth - if I were to tear, would the midwife repair it there and then, or would I have to go to hospital? If the first, do they provide local anaesthetic or would I have to man up and stick it out with no pain relief?

x

I had gas and air and a novocaine injection for my stiches. They wern't quite done immediatly, as the mw attending wasn't confident she was going to do the best job (nice of her to be honest I thought). I offered to go in, and they told me not to be silly, they would get a more tallented mw to do my stiches. The stiching tallent turned up 10mins later.. and she did me proud, it's all neat and tidy, the same as it was before my lo was born

Ask your mw, if you are concerned, what they can and can't do in your area - but I think this has to be somthing they all do>!
xxx

This may be covered in this thread but it's so huge!

What happens to all the tests that baby usually has in the hospital with a home birth? For instance, the hearing test, the vit K injection etc?

Gosh ladies!! I go away few a few days, and sooooo much has happened on this wonderful buzzing page!!

ER - I'm massively releived and happy for you hon.. just tickled pink, it has all come to nothing and you have been so strong and stuck with it. It's just such a shame, that you have to fight to get the right people on board - you must be a trail-blazzer for your area!! :) :happydance:

I also just wanted to say what happened to us with the vit k, and hearing test etc:
We were offered either the injection of vit K at home (I didn't have to order it TBH, I hadn't even thought about it in my birth plans), or to book with the community MWs to have it orally. We decided on the cuff to have the injection. I still question to this day whether it was really needed?

All of our appointments were arranged for us after she was born,and except the hearing test, all of our appointments were at home (g.p check, etc). The only time we had to travel out was to go for the hearing test (that was 5 days later). We attended a specailist hearing centre in the hospital, and it took all of 2 mins. They put a little sensor in her ear, I didn't hear a sound.. and hey presto, they tested her ears through all sound ranges, and it was normal. Easy peezy. We felt very special, as the lady that tested us was a little bemused, as she hadn't tested a home birth baby before, and wouldn't have come into contact with such a young baby, unless there were problems. She was smashing.

I've prob got more to say, as I'm quite few pages from the end and still catching up

Well done again ER - I'm soooo happy for you!
xxx

Thank you Nicola, I wouldnt have stuck to my guns if it wasnt for you and all of the lovely women on this thread. :hugs: x xx

Hello all, thought you might like to know that I had my beautiful baby girl today!!!:cloud9:

She was born at home at 13:00hrs, wt 2720g (6lbs). Breastfeeding like a pro!

Everything went perfectly well, only used gas & air but it was hard work, physiological 3rd stage,no tears despite her coming out with her hands on her face, no complications throughout, I'm so happy!!! Had a fantastic mw & student.

Wishing you guys all the best & hope you achieve a great homebirth like I did.x.x.x.

My goodness!!!! More amazing news!!!
Well done, Massive, massive congrats
xxxxxxxx

I just pinched this from Manda's FB status to update you all :)

Amanda & james are so happy to announce the birth of Jack William on 3.3 @ 2320. 8hr labour @ hospital due to grade 3 meconium. Only tens & g&a, tiny unsutured tear, phys 3rd stage. 8lb, 11oz & 21.5cm. Just had 25min bf!

Congrats Manda!! Cant wait to hear your story!! :hugs:

Well done Manda!!!!!! xxxx:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back