Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Thanks pickle :)
it's just that things seemed to spiral soooo far out of control and there was so much intervention :( my poor baby boy was affected by a lot of the drugs and things have been really hard. I need to go through my hospital notes so that I can rationalise everything and get things straight in my head. It has really affected me. I cry every day and I felt quite detached from everything.
I have managed to claw back BF though!! Despite my milk not coming in 'til day 12....!! Yaaaaay!!xxxx

Mother nature can be a bitch!! But it wasnt your fault you had pre-eclampsia....you tried and your intention was there.....you didnt just go and pay to have a c-section because you couldnt be arsed to push. You did brilliant under the circumstances you were in and you have a gorgeous little man! xxx

Thanks girls :)
he is a beautiful little boy, he really is. ER - I started writing my birth story up, as I feel I need to 'get it out!!' and I thought that writing it down may help. Think it's gonna take me a while tho, and will probably be one of the longest ever submitted on BnB!! Haha xx

Thanks girls :)
he is a beautiful little boy, he really is. ER - I started writing my birth story up, as I feel I need to 'get it out!!' and I thought that writing it down may help. Think it's gonna take me a while tho, and will probably be one of the longest ever submitted on BnB!! Haha xx

I'm quite choked up and emotional, reading about how you feel. I think you have done a fantastic job sweetheart! I'll look forward to reading your birth story. It is good to get it all out, as having a c-section isn't something light; it is a major operation, with all of the side effects of one as well. You need time to heal both mentally and physically. Take good care of yourself, as you are really important. :hugs:
xxxxx

Sorry I havn't been around for a while, had some probs!
Well where do I begin???
Huge congrats to all who have had their little bundles of joy no matter how they got here, they're here and thats the important bit.

BH you did amazingly well, some things are just taken out of our hands and I have to say that sometimes no matter how we feel it can sometimes be for the best, your LO is gorgeous and thats all that matters and huge respect to you for hanging in with the BF for that alone you deserve a medal:flower:
ER sooooooooooooo glad to hear your HB plans are finaly being taken seriously:thumbup:
I had emailed the goverment office to try and help anyone get info and this was the reply I got

Thank you for your email of 12 February about home births and your wish to contact an official. I have been asked to reply.

The publication ‘Maternity Matters: Choice, access and continuity of care in a safe service’ (2007) details national choice guarantees. In relation to choice of place of birth - depending on their circumstances - women and their partners will be able to choose where they wish to give birth.

In making their decision, women will need to understand that their choice of place of birth will affect the choice of pain relief available to them. The options for place of birth are:

• birth supported by a midwife at home;
• birth supported by a midwife in a local midwifery facility such as a designated local midwifery unit or birth centre; and
• birth supported by a maternity team in a hospital.

Expectant parents may contact the Midwifery Officer at their Strategic Health Authority for support in accessing their choice. In the case of Cornwall, this would be Val Beale at NHS South West. The email address for NHS South West is:
https://www.southwest.nhs.uk/generalenquiries.asp

You should be able to contact Val Beale on 01823 361234. If you have difficulty doing so, the main telephone number for NHS South West is: 01823 361000.

Yours sincerely,

Shelley Wilson
Customer Service Centre
Department of Health

she replied specificaly for the SW as you can see but I'm sure they could give out all the other numbers as well so if it helps anyone feel free to try them.:winkwink:

MM I'm in slightly the same boat as you...in the fact they have absolutly no idea which way around Nyah is??:growlmad: She was head down at 20w scan and I think she still is but after having 3-4 MWs have a feel they can't be sure??? I have to go for a scan at 36 weeks and go from there but HB plans are all in order and the local BC has all my details and a copy of my birth plan. The only 2 reasons I won't get a HB is if the BC is so full they have no MWs spare (being a rural area they could all be in there and I would have to go to them?) or if madam really is breech, but even then I can stay ay home as long as I'm comfy cause it's a 5 minute ride to the BC. Hey I just think well I get to see her again via scan:happydance:

Welcome to all the new HBAH's I'm sure it must be catching.

Sam9 kids wow your LO is so cute congrats and hope things Keep getting better.

Just one more thing re VIT K
My midwife asked me about it and I had not really gone into depth on any previous pregnancy so I asked her (shes a great sorce of info and doesn't mind how much or what I ask about)
They give it because if for any reason LO has not got enough VK in their system their blood may not clot properly and this can lead to internal bleeding from the birth. They have no idea at the time of birth if they've picked up enough inside us. The injection is quick and delivers in one dose. (she made a good point that do we really notice too much just after birth? LO is in pretty much the same boat and so overwhelmed they hardly notice either)
It can be given orally but does not get into the system as quick ...therefor not as effective straight after birth when they may need it. Also it can be quite tricky orally and if LO is sick they cannot re give the dose so that one would be useless and they have to give more than one so many days apart etc if one does not go down (sick reason) they have to re do. Basicly so much more faffing and not as reliable.
Well I'll stop babbling now and try to catch up on some more of the threads I've missed How celleics???(ok I know who I mean) by the way did'nt see her avitar pop up as I was scanning through.
Keep well ladies hopefully I'll be around to natter now:happydance:

Lisa :grr: Thats no fun at all...

BH I'm so sorry you had a bad experience but amazing :hugs: that you've managed to BF thats something to be really proud of.

Ok question for you girlies...how do they stitch you up at home?? Just remembering last time :shock:

If you need stitches the MW will have a butchers and then decide if she can do it. If she's not sure they would transfer you. I had and episiotomy with Emily so lots of stitches but with Hebe, even though her head came up MEGA fast, I listened to the MWs guidance on when to breath gently and I had a tiny little tear that wasnt worth stitching. I'm sure if I use the gentle hypno breathing rather than purple pushing, I can avoid a tear this time too :)

Yea i had quite bad tears etc with Tabs so was just wondering where they would do it and what they do with your legs ha ha...loverly thought but still :haha:

Deej, thanks for finding all that out hun..

You wrote in your post Sam9kids? Have I missed a post somewhere from her?

x x

please, lisa, don't mention 'butchers' and tears/stitches in the same sentence. :haha: I was sewn up on my bed, legs as you would for an internal, i.e. feet close to bum and legs flopped out.

emma, I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time, but really glad to hear you have some good support in place. :hugs: i think you did amazingly in the circumstances, and the perseverance with bf is bloody amazing. go you!

Sarah - assuming you'd be asking them to bring G&A if they were sorting you out they'd let you use that or a local and you could just lay on your bed while they do it. Stirrups are just to make doctor's lives easy - they dont need them...they just cant be arsed bending down. All the hospital set up is for their convenience including giving birth on beds.

ER sam9 kids posted on 3rd tri with and updated picture

Thankeeees yea i just kinda wondered....eeeek i'll be so much happier if i get to have baby at home though wont be a disaster as the hospital is JUST opening before i'm due so will be clean at least :sick:

Does anyone here hoping/had a home birth have a high BMI, 35+? Just curious to see if your midwife has already said it's OK for you to go ahead. My MW said she'd have to refer me to her supervisor but it's been over a week now and I've not heard a decision back.

If I feel comfortable enough can I override their decision and have a home birth anyway? I won't put my baby in danger but I am otherwise in perfect health so far - BP 120/70 always, no GD, reasonably fit so I feel it would be unfair for them to refuse based on my weight alone.

You need to talk to Eternal Rose....

You can override their decision and given that everything else is fine, a high BMI isnt reason alone not to have a HB :) If you read back over ERs earlier posts it this thread you will see how she's over come exactly this (non) issue. :)

Does anyone here hoping/had a home birth have a high BMI, 35+? Just curious to see if your midwife has already said it's OK for you to go ahead. My MW said she'd have to refer me to her supervisor but it's been over a week now and I've not heard a decision back.

If I feel comfortable enough can I override their decision and have a home birth anyway? I won't put my baby in danger but I am otherwise in perfect health so far - BP 120/70 always, no GD, reasonably fit so I feel it would be unfair for them to refuse based on my weight alone.

Hi ya hun, I am planning a homebirth and my BMI is 35. It was a bit of a rocky start, and I was subjected to a lot of scaremongering but like you my BP is fine, urine fine, bloods fine, no GD, and baby is cephalic ( for now ) and a good size. It took a lot of strength, and determination on my part to fight for what is rightfully mine and that is my choice of birthing place. I have done a lot of research and I can now confidently say I know my stuff so when I went to see the Head of Community Midwives for an appointment she couldnt argue with me. BMI is a useless tool. The statistics used were from the 50's and the sample was on white males e.t.c They like to say that your at more risk of PPH with raised BMI but I spoke to a consultant and even he couldnt actually quantify how much higher the risk is, and anyway thats what the syntometrine injection is for in the third stage regardless of your size. I have had a look at some of the journals on medline and they are a bit sketchy where that issue is concerned too. Do not let them throw the shoulder dsytocia tactic with you either, as that can happen in very slim ladies. I have had to go through the right channels to get the midwives on my side. When I first started looking into this I was told I couldnt go to the birth centre because of my BMI, they have now said I can go there :) And I have even managed to request that only Band 6 or Band 7 midwives will be attending my birth which they have agreed too :) A senior midwife is coming out to me on the 19th to book in my homebirth. :cloud9:

If I could give you any quick advice, DO NOT WAIT for that midwife to get back to you, go above her. I.E Head of community midwives, set up a meeting for a week in advance. In that week's wait get yourself knowledgeable on everything to do with homebirth so they know your intelligent and well informed. If your midwife gets the ass that you went above her, tough luck she should of taken your plans more seriously and got things sorted out. Dont let them fob you off hun.

Lastly, dont let them tell you what you are allowed and not allowed to have. Thats not there place to say. They can advise you, and inform you but it is there duty to allow you a choice of where you give birth if you have had a very low risk pregnancy. Mention to them, " Maternity Matters " if you find yourself having to really go down that road with them. :winkwink:
I am here for you if you need any help with this :hugs: x x x

Hiya girls...this is probably the fastest moving thread in the whole wide world, but I do my best to keep up when I can get on the laptop around OH's work!

I have a few bits of news...the biggy being...we are moving house :happydance: which means we have a new home for our homebirth!! It's much better than our current place, 3 beds so plenty of room for all 4 of us when LO arrives, and plenty of room for my pool. It also means I can get my ass away from the antenatal midwife who hates me at my current surgery, because I will be moving into a different area :happydance:

Another bit of news is that I have just watched a video about stockports birth choices, and homebirth was featured heavily on it, as well as use of the birth centre and the pool room where I had liv was on it and I have just cried and cried and cried for no real reason:cloud9: happy tears though, not sad. Anyway, once I had sorted my blubbering out, the video went on to say that the midwives provide the pool for you (!!!) and all you have to do is buy a new liner for the next person to use (!!!) I can't believe this is true, but if so, it will help so so so much with the planning of this adventure! Can't wait to start planning things more seriously when we move out!!

Hope all you girls and bubses are healthy and happy :hugs:

Wow!!! You are soooooooooo lucky!! Sounds like they take HB seriously in Stockport!! :thumbup:

Evening ladies, this really does move fast!!!

Our Hypnolady has emailed us some videos, some of which I have seen on You Tube already but they are so interesting to watch and see how relaxed the couples are compared to the hospital births that I have seen portrayed. I'm only too aware that there are probably as many calm hospital deliveries too but we don't get to see them do we!? They don't make good TV afterall!

I got my first chance to use my relaxation techniques this week with my back and you know, it only bloomin worked so there must be something in this stuff!

Boyo was talking the other night about where we would have the pool etc at home and it all feels very possible. We meet our new MW on Saturday and she is a seasoned and supportive HB midwife so fingers crossed.

Still getting some negativity from Boyos Mum as she is worried but you know, what can we do other than tell her the facts and hope that she trusts us to do the right thing for us.....

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->