Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

we also had the vit k injection given by the midwife at home - no need to book. she also sutured me. the gp did a home visit the next morning to do all the standard health checks on isaac and the hv did his hearing test during her first visit at 10 days.

OMG ER that is FANTASTIC!!!!! It's REALLY happening for you!! I cant tell you how chuffed I am AND what a billy bonus that you get the top MWs to attend you - GET IN THERE BNB HOME BIRTH MAFIOSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gun:

I'm going to the Birth Centre tonight to pick up my kit!! :mrgreen:

OMG ER that is FANTASTIC!!!!! It's REALLY happening for you!! I cant tell you how chuffed I am AND what a billy bonus that you get the top MWs to attend you - GET IN THERE BNB HOME BIRTH MAFIOSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gun:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (**Jungle is massive:headspin:**)

YAY for picking up your birth kit, rock on sister!! x x x

we also had the vit k injection given by the midwife at home - no need to book. she also sutured me. the gp did a home visit the next morning to do all the standard health checks on isaac and the hv did his hearing test during her first visit at 10 days.

Lucky you - HV did it at home? Brilliant!
I have to admit, I didn't like taking her in to hospital for her test (although the lady was great) Partly because of the whole "baby's first trip to hospital", and that it was soo very short, it was more effort getting there!.. and also not that we wanted to be house bound after birth - we got out and about for walks etc, it was just the "need" to go in, I didn't like.
xxxx

Nice to see were feeling nice and positive in here again my home birth brethren.....:thumbup:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (**Jungle is massive:headspin:**)

YAY for picking up your birth kit, rock on sister!! x x x

Hahahahaha!!! I'm liking the HomeBirth Mafia!!!! We have some serious tallent and support here ladies from all walks of life, and it's trully wonderful that there are more and more women interested in going with their bodies (.. I have to add, I'm no hippy - but considering it!! haha!)

This is one of the places where I can really let my feelings known on the subject - as my group of friends from anti-natal didn't have such great experiances, and looked at me like I was mad, with the whole home birth ideas! (Plus it would be inconsiderate of me to bang on about how brilliant I felt about my lo's birth in front of them, so it's just a secrete between me and all of you!) But I'm so happy, and wish that all women could experiance (if there are no complications, of course) the joy that is a home birth!!!

Plus, as others have proved, your head is in a totally differnent place if you have even entertained the idea of a home birth, and then subsequentally have to go in - so, even the hospital birth after planning a home brith, seems to be mentally easier!? It appears women are more respected, and have more repect for themselves, as they demand that respect; they are empowered through knowlege and a lack of fear! With some of the ladies, as in my group of friends, I would have had all the procedures they did - they needed too, and they needed to be in hospital. That is the difference, it is about choice, knowledge and empowerment.

Oh bugger, I seem to be having that soap box moment again!
xxx
xxxx

Nicola you hit it bang on the head there :) I do agree that the girls on here who dont end up at home for what ever reason will do just as well in hospital and will be in a good place mentally. I've just rung the Birth Centre to confirm we are coming down and the reception I got was lovely 'oh yes we've got it all ready for you and we're looking forward to seeing you Lisa!' I felt all fuzzy when I put the phone down - definitely got a nice vibe of respect from the MW :happydance:

That is wonderful news ER! So glad that you didn't give up and put them in their place, lol!

MM - so exciting that you're picking up your kit today. :)

Hello to all the new members! There are so many in this past week or so.

I can't beleive I'm 20 weeks now, it feels so exciting. I started my hypnobabies class on Tuesday, it was great. I'm enjoying all the relaxing that practice is resulting in. When my DH was reading a script to me last night, he got the the first part where it mentions our baby and right when he said it baby started kicking and moving like mad, it was awesome!

Nicola you hit it bang on the head there :) I do agree that the girls on here who dont end up at home for what ever reason will do just as well in hospital and will be in a good place mentally. I've just rung the Birth Centre to confirm we are coming down and the reception I got was lovely 'oh yes we've got it all ready for you and we're looking forward to seeing you Lisa!' I felt all fuzzy when I put the phone down - definitely got a nice vibe of respect from the MW :happydance:

I completely agree Nicola, I have felt so empowered since planning this homebirth and now that its starting to fall into place. Its been one of the best decisions I have ever made, its a shame that even if I do go on to have a positive birth experience we have to keep quiet about it as it seems to be the done thing to talk about how bad your labour was. However, if you try and talk to women about home birth that want a hospital birth you can come across as a preacher so its a no win situation from that perspective..:wacko: I would love to get more women having homebirths and believing in there bodies x

Lisa, I am so excited for you!!! x x x

I have a Q about homebirth - if I were to tear, would the midwife repair it there and then, or would I have to go to hospital? If the first, do they provide local anaesthetic or would I have to man up and stick it out with no pain relief?

x

I had gas and air and a novocaine injection for my stiches. They wern't quite done immediatly, as the mw attending wasn't confident she was going to do the best job (nice of her to be honest I thought). I offered to go in, and they told me not to be silly, they would get a more tallented mw to do my stiches. The stiching tallent turned up 10mins later.. and she did me proud, it's all neat and tidy, the same as it was before my lo was born

Ask your mw, if you are concerned, what they can and can't do in your area - but I think this has to be somthing they all do>!
xxx

Thanks :) I actually asked my MWs and they said Novocaine (can't get gas and air over here :dohh:)... They said they only ever had to take one woman to hospital to have it done because she tore so badly, but most of the time it's that minor that they either leave it to heal by itself or do a small repair. She also said they will show me in a mirror if I tear and we'll discuss the pros and cons of stitching it as opposed to leaving it to heal etc etc...so basically make the decision based on my feelings and their advice. :)

xx

Back with all my kit and feeling very excited. I had a natter with the MW about the whole 'Is he/Isn't he breech' scenario. she said that if they come to me at home when I've started in labour and I palpate breech they will send me to the hospital for a scan. If he scans head down and I am in the very early stages they are likely to send me home to continue. If things are progressing quickly they will transfer me to the birth centre. If he is breech they will keep me in the hospital and give me the option of a section or vaginal delivery.....

so the scan on thursday is a bit pointless in some respects. Even if they say he's head down, if he feels breech at the start of labour we'll be off to for another scan :dohh:

Hello all :)
I'm sorry I haven't been on lately. I gave been really struggling with the whole birth trauma thing :'( I am an emotional and physical wreck!!
I haven't been able to face thinking about things very easily and sm in the process of having some form of counselling sorted as my head is a mess from the birth.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to say that I miss you all lots and I hope you are all doing well and your HB's are/have gone to plan??xxxx

Back with all my kit and feeling very excited. I had a natter with the MW about the whole 'Is he/Isn't he breech' scenario. she said that if they come to me at home when I've started in labour and I palpate breech they will send me to the hospital for a scan. If he scans head down and I am in the very early stages they are likely to send me home to continue. If things are progressing quickly they will transfer me to the birth centre. If he is breech they will keep me in the hospital and give me the option of a section or vaginal delivery.....

so the scan on thursday is a bit pointless in some respects. Even if they say he's head down, if he feels breech at the start of labour we'll be off to for another scan :dohh:

Lets hope when you have the scan on Thursday he is in head down position and he stays that way I doubt at your stage hun he will turn from then until your labour if he is cephalic. Anyway either way, I have my fingers crossed for you for Thursday hun x x

Hello all :)
I'm sorry I haven't been on lately. I gave been really struggling with the whole birth trauma thing :'( I am an emotional and physical wreck!!
I haven't been able to face thinking about things very easily and sm in the process of having some form of counselling sorted as my head is a mess from the birth.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to say that I miss you all lots and I hope you are all doing well and your HB's are/have gone to plan??xxxx

Hi ya hun, I am so sorry you have been feeling this way. I think you may be struggling because you had planned for so long in your mind how you wanted your birth to be, and then it ended up far from what you expected. I think any of us on this thread would feel emotional about it, dont be hard on yourself though. You still gave BIRTH to your gorgeous little boy and just because you had a c-section doesnt mean your any less of a mother. I think the counselling will help you to rationalise your thoughts but I think you did really well and your son is beautiful.

We have missed you on this thread too, I hope you still stop by reguarly :hugs:

Thanks pickle :)
it's just that things seemed to spiral soooo far out of control and there was so much intervention :( my poor baby boy was affected by a lot of the drugs and things have been really hard. I need to go through my hospital notes so that I can rationalise everything and get things straight in my head. It has really affected me. I cry every day and I felt quite detached from everything.
I have managed to claw back BF though!! Despite my milk not coming in 'til day 12....!! Yaaaaay!!xxxx

Thanks pickle :)
it's just that things seemed to spiral soooo far out of control and there was so much intervention :( my poor baby boy was affected by a lot of the drugs and things have been really hard. I need to go through my hospital notes so that I can rationalise everything and get things straight in my head. It has really affected me. I cry every day and I felt quite detached from everything.
I have managed to claw back BF though!! Despite my milk not coming in 'til day 12....!! Yaaaaay!!xxxx

Awwww hun...:hugs: Well done on sticking with the breastfeeding! See that strength is still there, try and take each day as it comes. Have you thought about writing a journal ( It doesnt have to be on here ) so you can get your thoughts down. It might make you feel tearful but it will be good for you to get it all out? Has your DH been supportive? Its still early days hun, sending you lots of love x x

Aww Em :hugs: I agree with everything ER said.

Sometimes things are simply out of our control. You did the best you could and you have a lovely, healthy little fella to show for it. You did good girlie xx

I also agree with ER. No matter how things progressed, you have brought you little man into the world and he is healthy and happy. :hugs:

Great job on sticking with BF! I am very proud. :)

BabyHaines, if you ever need someone to rant about hospitals and not respecting your wishes or anything, I am here for you. My son is 8 months old, and I was forced to go to the hospital because he was breech. I am still upset with the way that everyone treated me. There are times that I look at my son and tell him that I am sorry his birth couldn't have been a happier experience. You can always PM me anytime you want.

Lets hope when you have the scan on Thursday he is in head down position and he stays that way I doubt at your stage hun he will turn from then until your labour if he is cephalic. Anyway either way, I have my fingers crossed for you for Thursday hun x x

i agree!!!

What do you get in your kit? does everyone get one? sorry....havent even spoke with my mw in depth about a homebirth apart from telling her "im having this baby at home.....i will not go to hospital unless absolutely necessary!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->