Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Hey missy! :hugs:

It's understandable that some people will be nervous about you HB plans. I was nervous myself for quite a while but then something just clicks and you know it's the right thing for you.

Hopefully you'll get that book soon - ER was going to get it off to you this week I think but in the mean time I've found the post I made a while back with a summary of some HB statistics for you to look at and maybe some of them will surprise your MIL too. :)

Some HB stats

Hey doll

You are totally right, the problem is she is quite old school and also, her daughter has had 2 really bad pregnancies and when her first was born, she was whipped off to SCBU and that is all that she sees, in her head, the outcome would have been horrific if they hadn't been at hospital. How true that is I don't know or if it is her usual slight over reaction to stuff but we can't base our decision on that or just to make her happy.

We have told her all sorts of statistics, emailed her stuff, asked her what she wants to know but still nothing. I don't really mind if I am honest, I don't mean that horribly but the minute we start taking everyone elses feelings into account too much is the moment that this stops being about what is best for us and Missy and that HAS to be all that we take into account....her and my health and wellbeing and Boyo being comfortable and happy with it all.

Oh fab, I shall look forward to getting it. Boyo got me a book last week bless him, "Home Birth - A Practical Guide" by Nicky Wesson which is good. If anyone wants a read when I am done then just let me know and I'll pop it over to you :hugs:

xxx

Also, you can update my stork from :yellow: to :pink: now too!! :winkwink:

xxx

Hiya girls...this is probably the fastest moving thread in the whole wide world, but I do my best to keep up when I can get on the laptop around OH's work!

I have a few bits of news...the biggy being...we are moving house :happydance: which means we have a new home for our homebirth!! It's much better than our current place, 3 beds so plenty of room for all 4 of us when LO arrives, and plenty of room for my pool. It also means I can get my ass away from the antenatal midwife who hates me at my current surgery, because I will be moving into a different area :happydance:

Another bit of news is that I have just watched a video about stockports birth choices, and homebirth was featured heavily on it, as well as use of the birth centre and the pool room where I had liv was on it and I have just cried and cried and cried for no real reason:cloud9: happy tears though, not sad. Anyway, once I had sorted my blubbering out, the video went on to say that the midwives provide the pool for you (!!!) and all you have to do is buy a new liner for the next person to use (!!!) I can't believe this is true, but if so, it will help so so so much with the planning of this adventure! Can't wait to start planning things more seriously when we move out!!

Hope all you girls and bubses are healthy and happy :hugs:

YAY for moving house BabyShambelle, and I will get that book posted asap this week MM. :blush: I have been a bit carried away with all this homebirth stuff this week. x x

Yea i had quite bad tears etc with Tabs so was just wondering where they would do it and what they do with your legs ha ha...loverly thought but still :haha:

For me: It was just like having a smear. Feet together, let your knees flop out to the side. I had mine done on my bed, on top of the duvet covers - with a protective pad, and they did a brill job!
xxx

Does anyone here hoping/had a home birth have a high BMI, 35+? Just curious to see if your midwife has already said it's OK for you to go ahead. My MW said she'd have to refer me to her supervisor but it's been over a week now and I've not heard a decision back.

If I feel comfortable enough can I override their decision and have a home birth anyway? I won't put my baby in danger but I am otherwise in perfect health so far - BP 120/70 always, no GD, reasonably fit so I feel it would be unfair for them to refuse based on my weight alone.

Hi ya hun, I am planning a homebirth and my BMI is 35. It was a bit of a rocky start, and I was subjected to a lot of scaremongering but like you my BP is fine, urine fine, bloods fine, no GD, and baby is cephalic ( for now ) and a good size. It took a lot of strength, and determination on my part to fight for what is rightfully mine and that is my choice of birthing place. I have done a lot of research and I can now confidently say I know my stuff so when I went to see the Head of Community Midwives for an appointment she couldnt argue with me. BMI is a useless tool. The statistics used were from the 50's and the sample was on white males e.t.c They like to say that your at more risk of PPH with raised BMI but I spoke to a consultant and even he couldnt actually quantify how much higher the risk is, and anyway thats what the syntometrine injection is for in the third stage regardless of your size. I have had a look at some of the journals on medline and they are a bit sketchy where that issue is concerned too. Do not let them throw the shoulder dsytocia tactic with you either, as that can happen in very slim ladies. I have had to go through the right channels to get the midwives on my side. When I first started looking into this I was told I couldnt go to the birth centre because of my BMI, they have now said I can go there :) And I have even managed to request that only Band 6 or Band 7 midwives will be attending my birth which they have agreed too :) A senior midwife is coming out to me on the 19th to book in my homebirth. :cloud9:

If I could give you any quick advice, DO NOT WAIT for that midwife to get back to you, go above her. I.E Head of community midwives, set up a meeting for a week in advance. In that week's wait get yourself knowledgeable on everything to do with homebirth so they know your intelligent and well informed. If your midwife gets the ass that you went above her, tough luck she should of taken your plans more seriously and got things sorted out. Dont let them fob you off hun.

Lastly, dont let them tell you what you are allowed and not allowed to have. Thats not there place to say. They can advise you, and inform you but it is there duty to allow you a choice of where you give birth if you have had a very low risk pregnancy. Mention to them, " Maternity Matters " if you find yourself having to really go down that road with them. :winkwink:
I am here for you if you need any help with this :hugs: x x x

I'm so proud of you ER you are an absolute f-ing star (excuse the language!!!!), But check you out!! You are so fully informed, from hesitant beginings (I better quantify that, by saying you are in no, no way a dullard, just hadn't thought about it a great deal; as a lot of women don't, as hospital is the norm for most women; but not always the right choice) - I love you...!

If you are thinking of having a HB, and have experianced any of the tests and hoops that ER has, then she is the lady for you - she has experianced first hand, in an area where the HB rate is LESS THAN 1%, preconceived ideas from medical professionals about what "is allowed" and not.

Us supporting ladies know, there is NO "allowed" or "let you" the bloody word/phrase should be banned! You don't have to ask permission to have any other physological function = why should you to give birth??!

You ARE all brilliant!!
(Sorry, I think I'm feeling the love tonight!)
xxx

Still no baby and getting very fed up now.

I have today, tomorrow and Tuesday left before I hit 42 weeks according to my 12 weeks scan. At my last midwife appointment I agreed no induction (but monitoring instead), but a natural hospital birth and I felt ok about it, but now I really don't. I really really don't want to have to go in just cos I'm over and I am getting really sad about it and keep crying. If they can give me an actual medical reason for going in I would feel fine about it.

My next appointment is Tuesday and I am hoping I can agree an extension on delivering at home, after-all I am sure this baby was not made on the Wednesday but the Friday. Not sure how easy this will be to do as I will only be giving the midwife 1 day to break the rules so if she has to have any contact with her seniors there isn't much time. I also don't know how much fight I have in me atm.

The whole thing would be easier if baby didn't keep giving me signs that she was coming and getting my hopes up. Night before last me and OH DTD and I spent yesterday with cramps and pinky blood streaked mucus, which lasted until about 5am this morning.

Any advice?

My advice would be to let it all go. This is easier said than done but you need to stop thinking about it. Resign yourself to not going into labour before wednesday and dont even think about what will happen after that. I truly believe when I let go of the whole 'when will it happen' and trying to 'make' it happen, that was the trigger for my labour starting. Oxytocin is crucial to starting labour and tension inhibits it's production. All the time you are stressing you are hindering the natural process. Even the smallest amount of stress could be stopping the trigger - you know? So my advice is to let it go. Dont bounce on balls, eat curries etc.....just chill out, relax with you OH and enjoy whatever time you have left before LO arrives. Listen to relaxing music, take long leisurely baths, have early nights, get him to give you a massage or foot rub, take naps......deep relaxation :)

Thank you MM and Bournefree, I wouldnt have pushed for it if it wasnt for your support. Usually in life, I dont take s**t ( excuse my language ) so I wasnt going to let this one go really..:winkwink: Im feeling the love here too, where is Darius when you need him.

Celesse, I agree with all the advice MM has given you. I am really hoping things start for you soon so you can have your homebirth. Try not to worry hun, your right there now just hold on a bit longer :hugs: x

Oh Celesse It must be getting so frustrating now but I agree with everything MM has said. Instead of counting down the days try to enjoy them. No more quick popping out the the shop or long baths for you once baby is here (for a little while obviously not forever!) so enjoy your time. I really have my fingers crossed you will get your homebirth xx

Although my first HB did not go to plan, I TOLD them I would be having a homebirth when I went over 42 weeks. Kaya eventually came at 42+2 and would have been a homebirth if everything went to plan. Stick to your guns, if you want your homebirth then have it.

Cupcake, your LO is gorgeous!!!

Welcome to all the new girls.

And here's my belated birth story. It's a long one!

My waters (later learned it was my hindwaters) broke at 3:30pm on Wednesday, and I saw that they were green and knew what that meant. My midwife wasn't on that day, so I rang labour ward to get in touch with the on-call community midwife for me. They did and rang me back and said that they wanted me to come in first. Having looked after lots of babies on NICU who had meconium aspiration and knowing the other problems associated, I was happy to get checked over.

I went in and was put on a CTG, which showed we were both fine. A registrar examined me, said I was 2cm and that my forewaters were intact. She said they wanted to admit me to labour ward, break my water and start oxytocin. I said I'd prefer to go home and have a midwife monitor his heartrate with a doppler, which the registrar really wasn't happy with. I didn't push on that more, knowing this was worrying my husband. I asked if I could give birth on the birth centre, and she said that I couldn't due to policy re: meconium liquor. She then went into all the issues associated with meconium liquor, at which point I notified her that I was very aware due to my occupation - she stopped speaking to me like an idiot then.

I said that I would go onto labour ward, as I understand the concerns only too well. However, I wanted only intermittent CTG monitoring, as I wanted to try to mobilise. I gave consent for my waters to be broken but said that I then wanted to see how I progressed on my own, as I think it's stupid to augment a labour that you already have concerns re: baby's distress. She tried to say that the oxytocin would be started slowly and would not necessarily distress the baby. I insisted that my body be given the chance to labour on it's own.

In the end, my labour went very quickly, undoubtedly due to my own history (mother was a very quick labourer), broken waters and my body trying to expel the meconium. I delivered at 11:20pm (under 8 hours from my hindwaters breaking at home) with my TENS and some G&A (I didn't use it until 6cm and then kept throwing it away after the peak of the contraction, as I couldn't concentrate to use it effectively [and I don't think it did that much anyway]). NO oxytocin! I ended up with a grade 1 inner labial graze/tear that didn't need suturing. I didn't get my delayed cord clamping due to what ended up being grade 3 meconium, as they needed to ensure that he didn't aspirate the thick meconium*. But I got a cuddle as soon as the paediatrician said he was ok (pretty quick), and I had my physiological 3rd stage (25min). Considering the circumstances, I was pretty happy, as I got most things my way!

They have a policy of doing observations on the baby (in cases of meconium liquor) for 12 hours post delivery. The paediatrician also wanted to review him before we left. I asked for a private room on postnatal ward, as I would've much rather been at home. I had a private room in the end, but observations were only done on the baby twice overnight (it was supposed to be one hourly, then two hourly) and not at all during the day. The paediatrician reviewed him at around 1pm and was happy with him. I asked a midwifery assistant afterwards when we'd be going home, as the 12 hours had lapsed and he'd been reviewed, and she said she'd find out for me. Another girl came back and said that she hadn't realised that she was supposed to be doing meconium observations, so she would need to do those before we left, so she would need to do the ones she'd missed and that it'd likely be early evening before we were able to go home. I refused and said this was ridiculous. Regardless of whether she'd done the observations, the 12 hours had already passed; and it was obvious that he was fine, and the paediatrician who'd seen him hadn't found any issues. She needed to go discuss this with the midwife in charge who came to speak to me. They couldn't get in touch with the paediatricians whose "permission" they needed to not do the meconium observations over and let us go. I said then that I would discharge us myself and that I was sure the paediatricians would agree with me and would agree that a mother who looks after ill newborns for a living would be able to do the same for her own. Arrangements were made for me to sign a consent form for this and for my discharge paperwork to be completed immediately. In the meantime, a paediatrician did show up and said that it was obviously fine for us to go, as there'd been no problems noted, regardless of observations not being recorded consistently (I hate how some people approach midwifery and nursing with the attitude that "this isn't how it's done" instead of common sense!).

So, I ended up being in hospital 24 hours in total. We're getting on well with establishing breastfeeding, apart from me panicking that he wasn't latching properly and perhaps not getting enough milk and making my nipples sore when it was obvious he was, as he was coming off the breast and sleeping. I find it quite funny how I can help mothers every day at work on the NICU with breastfeeding issues, but it's a completely different story when you're the new mum! I actually raided my home birth kit at one point to get some syringes to draw up some colostrum as I hand expressed it just to make sure he actually got something! :wacko:

Sorry for the novel, but I thought I'd share! I still hope to have a home birth one day (hopefully a water birth!), so I hope to still hang around the group if that's ok!

*Edited to add: I'm actually annoyed, looking back, that they didn't delay cord clamping. There was no reason they couldn't have left it intact and examined him on my tummy/chest and ascertain whether clamping and resuscitation was needed. His Apgars were 9 at 1 minute, so it could've been left intact. I also will refuse internal exams in the future, as conflicting exams set me back mentally and nearly cost me my natural birth, as I was in dead beetle position, ultimately asking for an epidural that I thankfully never got and had my pushing directed.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 67
Oh Manda, he is just gorgeous :cloud9:

This group is great, every time, like today, when I am bashed for wanting a HB, I come here, read your stories and remind myself why we are doing this. Normally it is fine as Boyo reminds me but he is at work and I was on my own when I got it from 2 directions earlier today so without knowing it, you have picked me up no end this evening so thank you :hugs:

Also got a copy of The mongan method Hypnobirth book with CD for a fiver posted on eBay which I was chuffed with :thumbup:

xxx

Aww Manda he's gorge!!

Does sound like you really kept control under the circumstances. Good on ya! I think given the whole meconium issue you managed to pull off an excellent birth experience - you can be very proud of yourself chick!!!

PLEASE do hang around - we need strong women like you here xx

Awwww, lovely birth story Amanda and you go girl with knowing what you want!

Even though you didnt get your homebirth you still managed to stand your ground and have the birth you wanted.

Well done on the breastfeeding front..your facebook status says it all..:winkwink:

Your little boy is beautiful. Well done hun

EternalRose x x

Pops - when you get your book and CD, let me know what's on the CD. There are 2 different ones but only one book so I can send you the other and you'll have a full compliment :D

x

Congrats again Manda and well done for sticking your ground and getting at least some of it your way!! :) He's gorgeous!!

I'm having a bloomin' nightmare with getting the Hypnobirthing book now...bought it for $8 on ebay and waited over a week before getting a request to cancel the transaction, no proper reason given...I've messaged the woman twice and received no reply, so just giving her another 24 hours and I guess I'll agree to cancel and just get the book elsewhere :shrug: It's a pain in the bum though because I started reading it in the bookstore and was hoping to have it pretty quick so I could continue!! :dohh:

xx

:flower:
Does anyone here hoping/had a home birth have a high BMI, 35+? Just curious to see if your midwife has already said it's OK for you to go ahead. My MW said she'd have to refer me to her supervisor but it's been over a week now and I've not heard a decision back.

If I feel comfortable enough can I override their decision and have a home birth anyway? I won't put my baby in danger but I am otherwise in perfect health so far - BP 120/70 always, no GD, reasonably fit so I feel it would be unfair for them to refuse based on my weight alone.

Hi ya hun, I am planning a homebirth and my BMI is 35. It was a bit of a rocky start, and I was subjected to a lot of scaremongering but like you my BP is fine, urine fine, bloods fine, no GD, and baby is cephalic ( for now ) and a good size. It took a lot of strength, and determination on my part to fight for what is rightfully mine and that is my choice of birthing place. I have done a lot of research and I can now confidently say I know my stuff so when I went to see the Head of Community Midwives for an appointment she couldnt argue with me. BMI is a useless tool. The statistics used were from the 50's and the sample was on white males e.t.c They like to say that your at more risk of PPH with raised BMI but I spoke to a consultant and even he couldnt actually quantify how much higher the risk is, and anyway thats what the syntometrine injection is for in the third stage regardless of your size. I have had a look at some of the journals on medline and they are a bit sketchy where that issue is concerned too. Do not let them throw the shoulder dsytocia tactic with you either, as that can happen in very slim ladies. I have had to go through the right channels to get the midwives on my side. When I first started looking into this I was told I couldnt go to the birth centre because of my BMI, they have now said I can go there :) And I have even managed to request that only Band 6 or Band 7 midwives will be attending my birth which they have agreed too :) A senior midwife is coming out to me on the 19th to book in my homebirth. :cloud9:

If I could give you any quick advice, DO NOT WAIT for that midwife to get back to you, go above her. I.E Head of community midwives, set up a meeting for a week in advance. In that week's wait get yourself knowledgeable on everything to do with homebirth so they know your intelligent and well informed. If your midwife gets the ass that you went above her, tough luck she should of taken your plans more seriously and got things sorted out. Dont let them fob you off hun.

Lastly, dont let them tell you what you are allowed and not allowed to have. Thats not there place to say. They can advise you, and inform you but it is there duty to allow you a choice of where you give birth if you have had a very low risk pregnancy. Mention to them, " Maternity Matters " if you find yourself having to really go down that road with them. :winkwink:
I am here for you if you need any help with this :hugs: x x x

Thanks ER, that's really helpful. I'm going to give my midwife one more chance to respond to me tomorrow and then I'll go above her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->