Home education/schooling

Twinkl is another one. (Not a typo no e). Education City is great but don't know what an individual subscription costs. Lots of super interactive games.

I agree. I have found though as have some of my friends who have been home edding for a few years that workbooks do make a good 'core' to work around, obviously not everything is workbook work but there are projects etc planned out in the workbook that can be done separately. I wouldn't fork out on them right away though, I wasted a lot on workbooks and print out resource books that were just not suitable. The majority of workbooks we use now are the CGP ones xx

Thank you all so much for the advice, it means a lot to me.

I will bookmark everything in the morning, and reply properly as well.

I have tried to thank your posts but something is up with that x

Does someone need to report you or something? I plan on keeping a file of things anyway and all work. Just in case they do contact me. I have nothing to hide and would show how well they where doing. I just hope I wont get some horrible person that would make stuff up and hammer home eders. *paranoid person I am lol*

Usually someone would have to 'report' you yes, most often this is HVs or another HCPs although another HV told me that they aren't allowed to report parents to another agency, without their consent or at the very least informing them first. I had neither from that HV but by the time I found this out this HV was no longer working for the local team. Sometimes people will use the excuse of the 'children not in education' act but there is no basis in this act as far as I know for reporting parents for home educating if they haven't themselves chosen to check in with the LEA. By the way definitely agree with keeping all letters etc, some LEAs can be sly and pretend they haven't received letters etc you've sent to them xx

I only send important things recorded delivery. My hv is ok, I cant imagine her reporting me she would be able to see what we have and loves the kids always comments on how clever and nice they are. I will be seeing her this month. I must mention it to her I am sure she will want to know what happened in the pre school with William.

I agree. I have found though as have some of my friends who have been home edding for a few years that workbooks do make a good 'core' to work around, obviously not everything is workbook work but there are projects etc planned out in the workbook that can be done separately. I wouldn't fork out on them right away though, I wasted a lot on workbooks and print out resource books that were just not suitable. The majority of workbooks we use now are the CGP ones xx

Yeah I think they have their place and can give ideas. I wouldn't spend much on them though Tasha. Just take your time and see how things pan out.

A bit of a segue here, but when I was teaching,there was a big furore over the guy who ran Sparklebox (article here if you don't know,) and we had to stop using it. Does anyone know if he is still involved? It was always so useful, but I'm not sure I want to use it if the situation hasn't changed.

I like the look of that site rapid.com for material, stuff I cant print etc I liked the science part.

There was a big fuss about Sparklebox and it was not to be used. However in my years out it has started to be used again. I prefer Twinkl myself these days.

One of them sites was dear there cant remember which one. There was one I cant find now as I forgot the name of it, start right? similar name? any one know? william liked it and it wasnt to dear.

Oh William explained to me how a volcano works with chocolate moose, . it was the way it was shaped in the pot. We learned about planets again today, he likes things to do with the solar system and earth.

We are using cgp English, geography, and history and they are fab for giving some structure to projects etc as summer rain said. We use Miquon maths with cuisenaire rods which my children love! (although they mainly like to build towers with them lol) We also use Jolly phonics workbook for my eldest, but are using oxford reading tree for my daughter who doesn't seems to need to blend the words so much. My son has just been diagnosed with autism though and his concentration is poor, and he gets very cross, so any written work is something to be proud of. He actually say, and did his science workbook for two hours evry day last week bless:) My children were out for 8months when we had a nasty letter from cardiff lea stating that our children by law have to do a minimum of an hr of maths english and science a day also, an hr a week of humanitys, music, design tec etcc. For goodness sake, they are four, and six!!! Anyhow I called them to say we are moving to staffordshire, and no I will not leave you my address thankyou bye bye lol. Welsh home eding is going to get tricky with all this registration stuff about to go through possibly so glad we jumped the boarder :) I know know I'm am within my rights having moved to go under the radar, and will do so as I don't want my son put under any pressure with all the rest of lifes stressess that come with Asd. I hope tasha you have all the info you need to move forward, and wish you all the best :) xx

Wow really mamaofthree that's terrible! I know a few mums who live in troublesome LEA areas here, they claim things like you're legally required to follow the national curriculum and a timetable and while this is nonsense it can be tough when you're up against that. We ourselves tried to move to a different LEA area while this one could be worse their current insistence on termly visits does feel a bit overbearing at times. We tried to do a homeswap though as its the only way we can really move without completely losing our current type of tenancy and we just got messed around so many times (including people pulling out of the swap at the last minute) that we've given up now xx

When you get to year 3 and 4/ks2 the range of the CGP books is fantastic, for example in science they have 6 different topic books a year with various mini projects to complete that just use basic stuff you have lying about the house, great fun. The history and geography ones are great too, my eldest has nearly finished the primary ones so I've ordered him the secondary school ones. My only minor complaint about them would be that the space for writing answers is sometimes a bit on the small side. If anyone is going to order a lot of their books it's a good idea to get them from their website, if you register as a parent or tutor then you get 20% off and free shipping after a certain amount. They also sent me some sample new books they were producing absolutely free, out of the blue! I thought they'd sent them by accident but nope the letter said they are free so that people can give them feedback xx

We've got the science, and geography ones! they have age ranges on their website too don't they for each workbook. We are covering lights and shadows at the mo as it said from age 7-9 ish. My son is only 6 but coping with ks2 science and maths, it's just English he struggles with. I find this really hard as studied it to degree level. He hates it with a passion lol! Just bought the timestable revision book, and handwriting practise for my 4y/o daughter(she loves workbooks!)I agree, the spaces are very small especially for a little boys handwriting, or mine atleast.

I'm hoping we will go un noticed now we are in the midlands! I guess someone would have to report us in order for them to find us. It's such a worry isn't it. I would get really stressed knowing they were about to visit. Termly does seem alot. I guess I can kinda see why they would want to as not everyone has their childs best interest at heart, and there are some bad ppl around. If this was the reson I would accept, however I am doubtful regarding this. From what others have said some LEAS just seem pro school, and very rigid regarding curriculums. our foprms from cardiff also included a mid term application form for a other primary schools in our area (other than the one we de-reg'd from) and a huuuge booklet on getting your child back into school! Take the hint! They are not coming back. I'm sure there are others who have had good experiences though... I guess it's always going to be subjective!

xxxx

In our area the termly visits is just a policy set by a previous council administration and just hasn't been changed to be more in line with policies of other neighbouring LEAs. I have come across far worse LEAs than this one. There did used to be someone who was extremely negative working who was in charge of administrating home education in the council offices but she has left now. This time the lady who visits didn't get our message and I asked her if she could come back in a month or so's time and she was completely fine with that, in this area the lady who visits is a former headteacher and wanted to home educate her children herself, so its better than in many areas where the person who does the home ed visits is actually an educational welfare officer, someone who normally visits homes when children meant to be in school are playing truant. We cannot move at the moment so we just put up with the termly visits. To be honest it isn't the councils fault and they were told false information by the HV originally which she had no right to pass on to them anyway that we were home educating. xx

Congratulations btw summer rain! Just noticed your sig. Hopefully we'll be joining you soon. ttc after a mc :(xxx

:hugs: mama of three, I am always about if you need a chat.

So, I tried to deregister my children and they replied saying they will only take them off the register once we have contacted the LEA. I have written to the LEA too, but what a pain. Monday is our first day of home schooling :dance:

Thanks Tasha,, that's appreciated! Am desperately wanting another...I guess it's a coping strategy, but still spotting 11days after aff grrrrrrrrrr... Anyway..

I'm pretty sure they cannot refuse to de-register so long as you give them written notice. Have a look on Direct.gov for england and wales, print it, and take along with you. The only exception I believe is if your child is in a special school?1 You are not legally obliged to contact your LEA regardless. They say it's 'advisable' but not a legal requirement. They are throwing their weight around in the hope you don't know your rights. This is so frustrating for you!!! Don't take their nonsense hun. GL xxx

It looks more and more likely we are going to Home-educate now as the school we have been assigned from the LEA is under " special measures " and im sure I can do better than that myself , logged and appeal with them in case we can get a place in the good school but not holding out alot of hope for that

What do you mean they assigned you a school? did you want to home school and they did that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->