Home education/schooling

I home school my 5 year old and am needing some advice. My son doesn't do well with making his letters. Is there anything I can buy to help him with that? I know he is young and is new to learning stuff but I just think he would improve from a little extra.

My son has dsylexia and dsypraxia, and a small sand tray with sand in, using his finger at first to make the letters shape, then going on to a pencil in the sand tray, then eventually paper, worked for him :thumbup:

Hi girls,

I made my way across here (suggested by Gemie). I am going to be home-schooling for an interim period because of a few situations at my children's school (from my son (eight) being left unattended and no one noticing, to my daughter (seven) being beaten up and then thrown on the floor, her telling a teacher and no one notifying me, and being disinterested about it now even though it is now two weeks of the threat of physical violence). So I want to move them to a different but as we have three children (reception, year three and year four) there are no schools with places at all of them. As I feel my children are not being adequately cared for, protected, nor supervised, I really have no choice but to take them out. The police are also involved with this.

I just read about deregistering, so I will do that. I have to write to both the headteacher and the LEA here (gained advice from the LEA this morning). The LEA said they will just do occassional inspections to see we are educating them properly, is this the norm? And will they let me know when they are coming, I mean what if we are out, will that be held against us?

I have to admit, the idea of them taking my children away from me for home-schooling terrifies me. Is it a common thing?

Would you say that at first workbooks are a good idea? I think given the way we are leaving the school, that I need to 'prove' to the LEA that we are educating them properly, and workbooks/print outs. folders or work etc seems to be the only way I can be sure that they can SEE we are. Does that make sense?

Sorry for all the questions, as I said I am scared.

Are you on pinterest? I have load of stuff there saved you can print out no need to buy loads of books. I think its scary when you dont know where to begin thats why I am looking at this all now and gathering up info. Its not unheard of to pull your child out of school due to whatever has occurred some parents dont but should.

I am sure I seen sites to help with dyslexia to. I will keep an eye out for you on my travels as I pin as I go along.

I am not yet, I will sort it tonight. Thank you.

ebay has good tools. I have got number lines etc and some stuff for dyslexia xx

links?
https://pinterest.com/ladydragonflyt/educating/
https://pinterest.com/ladydragonflyt/pre-school-activities/

Hugs hun, sorry you've had such a bad experience. just to address your questions as best I can

I just read about deregistering, so I will do that. I have to write to both the headteacher and the LEA here (gained advice from the LEA this morning). The LEA said they will just do occassional inspections to see we are educating them properly, is this the norm? They like to claim that it's normal to get inspections but it's a load of crap. They have NO right to come and inspect you. Tbh I would never let the LEA come and 'inspect' us as I feel I would just be opening myself up for their interference. It's also important that you know that you do not (if you are in England) need permission to home educate or deregister your kids. Please take a look at the Education Otherwise website so you know exactly where you stand legally.

And will they let me know when they are coming, I mean what if we are out, will that be held against us? As I said, they have no right to inspect you. They may ask if they can meet you and discuss your provision and tbh that is totally up to you. If you say yes it should be by appointment and in the location of your choosing. If someone just turns up at your door to 'inspect' or even discuss your home edding, DO NOT let them in. Ask them to request a meeting with you in writing and then get advice from other home educators of the best way to handle things.

I have to admit, the idea of them taking my children away from me for home-schooling terrifies me. Is it a common thing? No it's not common. Where it has happened it's usually been as a result of the parents not having a proper knowledge of the legal procedures for deregistering their kids, or because they've been too accommodating with the LEA.

Would you say that at first workbooks are a good idea? I think given the way we are leaving the school, that I need to 'prove' to the LEA that we are educating them properly, and workbooks/print outs. folders or work etc seems to be the only way I can be sure that they can SEE we are. Does that make sense? Personally (taking into account all that I've said above) I would avoid workbooks for the time being and just let your children have the time to 'de-school' and relax again and rediscover their love of learning. If you're worried about evidence for the LEA (though you really shouldn't be) keep a journal about all that you do and take photos of the places that you go. Remember that every time your child helps you cook, reads a book with you, helps you with DIY, helps in the garden etc they are learning.

Hope this helps

Hugs hun, sorry you've had such a bad experience. just to address your questions as best I can

I just read about deregistering, so I will do that. I have to write to both the headteacher and the LEA here (gained advice from the LEA this morning). The LEA said they will just do occassional inspections to see we are educating them properly, is this the norm? They like to claim that it's normal to get inspections but it's a load of crap. They have NO right to come and inspect you. Tbh I would never let the LEA come and 'inspect' us as I feel I would just be opening myself up for their interference. It's also important that you know that you do not (if you are in England) need permission to home educate or deregister your kids. Please take a look at the Education Otherwise website so you know exactly where you stand legally.

And will they let me know when they are coming, I mean what if we are out, will that be held against us? As I said, they have no right to inspect you. They may ask if they can meet you and discuss your provision and tbh that is totally up to you. If you say yes it should be by appointment and in the location of your choosing. If someone just turns up at your door to 'inspect' or even discuss your home edding, DO NOT let them in. Ask them to request a meeting with you in writing and then get advice from other home educators of the best way to handle things.

I have to admit, the idea of them taking my children away from me for home-schooling terrifies me. Is it a common thing? No it's not common. Where it has happened it's usually been as a result of the parents not having a proper knowledge of the legal procedures for deregistering their kids, or because they've been too accommodating with the LEA.

Would you say that at first workbooks are a good idea? I think given the way we are leaving the school, that I need to 'prove' to the LEA that we are educating them properly, and workbooks/print outs. folders or work etc seems to be the only way I can be sure that they can SEE we are. Does that make sense? Personally (taking into account all that I've said above) I would avoid workbooks for the time being and just let your children have the time to 'de-school' and relax again and rediscover their love of learning. If you're worried about evidence for the LEA (though you really shouldn't be) keep a journal about all that you do and take photos of the places that you go. Remember that every time your child helps you cook, reads a book with you, helps you with DIY, helps in the garden etc they are learning.

Hope this helps
Brilliant advice.
I recommend the education otherwise website too. Some really valuable info on there. :hugs:

It's the Local Education Authority - basically the education dept in the council

Are they only after you if you take your child out of school? I cant be frigged with messing and fighting just to educated my children.

Every LEA is different, some are really supportive of home ed and others are downright hostile. All I can advise is to get in touch with other home ed families and organisations. From what I know, they tend to leave you alone if they think you know your rights and are confident enough to call their bluff. Please do go on the home-education.biz site as there are a lot of people that know what they're talking about.

Just to give another perspective. I personally do allow the LEA to do home visits, in our case it is every term (just this particular LEA does this), I think if the LEA are reasonable sometimes it can be of benefit to check in with them and be accommodating to their requests for info and to see the children and so on. You don't have to let them in your home but we just find it easier for them to come here as its impossible to bring much of their work etc to the library or another venue. The lady who comes to see us always writes to us several weeks in advance and even when she comes round before coming in she states clearly that if we'd like her to come another time then please say so, this time she didn't get our message left on her answer phone so she apologised profusely and said she'd come in a month or so. We did have problems in the past but a change in management at the council has put paid to those. I did ask EO for advice and they said while legally I don't have to agree to home visits it is sometimes best to agree to them. I'd personally look for other home edding parents in your area and ask them what policies are, also your local authority website will often have information about the stance they take. Sometimes not being accommodating and giving them info can backfire, I know some mums who refused on principle to meet with the LEA at all or to provide any evidence of work, while they were within their legal rights to do this, it ended up with social services and threats of legal action, in most cases the LEAs in question were not known for being anti home-ed at all. Xx

ETA: having said all this most parents I know who took their child out of school are not visited regularly, perhaps once a few months after withdrawing their children and then nothing ever again and I know a lady who removed her son from school over two years ago now and has never had any contact from the LEA at all. My children have never attended school but a nasty HV reported us in a negative light to the LEA for home educating, so we had that choice taken away from us. I'm sure at some point our LEA will stop the termly visits as it probably costs a fortune. Most London LEAs only come every 1-2 years.

Look on yahoo groups tasha, you'll find your local home eders have one and have meets that you can go along to it will keep your kids having some social integration and you can meet with other mums and dads who home educate :) x

Does someone need to report you or something? I plan on keeping a file of things anyway and all work. Just in case they do contact me. I have nothing to hide and would show how well they where doing. I just hope I wont get some horrible person that would make stuff up and hammer home eders. *paranoid person I am lol*

The key that everyone agrees with, is to get EVERYTHING in writing. If they contact you at all (and they may well not bother) tell them to put it all in writing

Tasha, if you decide to go down the written work route then don't splash out on workbooks immediately. There are lots of great sites you can print resources from. Primaryresources is one good place to start. There are also sites like Sparklebox and Teacher's Pet who have great free number lines, dough boards and so on. Get a cheap laminator from Tesco and make your own. That way you can tie them to current interests.

An enormous amount of the learning in my classroom is not written. I do of course have to collect evidence so I take masses of photos. We also have individual Learning Journals and a big class one. In the class one we write what we have learned, pictures of us at work, interesting facts etc. Workbooks are not necessary to prove learning has been happening.

good sites have pinned them,. I plan on printing stuff out should I need it.

when I said paper trail I meant with official people.

Does someone need to report you or something? I plan on keeping a file of things anyway and all work. Just in case they do contact me. I have nothing to hide and would show how well they where doing. I just hope I wont get some horrible person that would make stuff up and hammer home eders. *paranoid person I am lol*

Usually someone would have to 'report' you yes, most often this is HVs or another HCPs although another HV told me that they aren't allowed to report parents to another agency, without their consent or at the very least informing them first. I had neither from that HV but by the time I found this out this HV was no longer working for the local team. Sometimes people will use the excuse of the 'children not in education' act but there is no basis in this act as far as I know for reporting parents for home educating if they haven't themselves chosen to check in with the LEA. By the way definitely agree with keeping all letters etc, some LEAs can be sly and pretend they haven't received letters etc you've sent to them xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->