homebirth but not planning on having birthing pool

MadamRose

Mummy to 3 and WTT for #4
Reaction score
I am hoping for a homebirth. I will be in my bath for some of it if i feel i want to be, but dont want baby in the water so am not having a birthing pool. Anyone else wanting or had a home birth but not with birthing pool?

We are having a pool but 3 of my friends (two of whom are on here and am sure will come along and tell you themselves!) had their babies at home but didn't deliver in the pool.

I know my friend who lives round the corner said she just didn't have the room for a pool but wasn't giving up on her HB and had him on her bed :cloud9:

xxx

We had a pool but I use it to labour and got out to birth - that was always my intention although at one point towards the end of my labour, I thought I might stay in the pool.....mainly because it was so bloomin' nice! :lol:

I personally couldnt have managed just with my bath as I really wanted to wallow! I could swing my hips about when the surges got where they felt to be squeezing them which I found helpful to focus on. I was so enormous there was no chance of swinging the plug let alone my hips if I'd got in my bath!

I think one of the main reasons women chose to have their babies at home is because you have the option of a pool and its guaranteed to be available at any point should you want it.

I know my friend who lives round the corner said she just didn't have the room for a pool but wasn't giving up on her HB and had him on her bed :cloud9:

xxx

I have to say I LOVE the idea of having your baby on your own bed. For most people it's where your hubby or partner 'gave' you your baby and seems a beautiful and logical place to finish the whole cycle and 'give' him your baby :cloud9:

I'm hoping for a home birth too. I simply don't have room in my flat for a pool but to be honest, I was 100% on dry land with my first, well, until my waters broke haha so it never even entered my head about a pool and automatically declined when asked.

I told my MW if i wanted any water for any reason i'd get in the bath where I was immediately told I cant have the baby in the bath anyway so that put paid to that idea if i had wanted to lol.

I have every intention of having my baby on my bed too, i have prepped it ready just to work out about towels and things like that.....feels like there is so much to take into consideration xxx

Yes i never wanted the baby in the bath, but just if i want to be comfy, i like the feeling of being in the bath normally. Im so hoping things go to plan. Is there any good places to get information on what items you need for a homebirth, like how many towels sheets etc.

xxx

I have to say I LOVE the idea of having your baby on your own bed. For most people it's where your hubby or partner 'gave' you your baby and seems a beautiful and logical place to finish the whole cycle and 'give' him your baby :cloud9:

id like to have my baby on my bed but i have recently spent ALOT of money on nice sheets....... lol! super king sheets are not cheap id be so worried about ruining them!

My tip for those planning on having their babes on their beds is this:

when your labour starts, strip your bed linen and put a clean sheet on, then a plastic sheet of some kind, then another sheet on top of that. then your fresh bedding on your duvet, pillows or what ever. then when you are ready you can remove the duvet or top covers, have your baby and then when you're ready someone can easily and quicly remove the top sheet and plastic sheet to reveal a clean one and you are in your fresh bed ready to really relax and appreciate how good it is to be at home :)

thanks thats a very good idea, im thinking either in my bed. or in my living room as they are the too most comfy places in my house

heres a great site for reference

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/

we bought 3 cheap shower curtains and a couple of fleece throws from Ikea which came to about £6 in total. they were for the sitting room floor or sofa if I chose to be there at all. we didnt use them in the end. We borrowed a tonne of towels in case I wanted to get in and out the pool and I used 2/3 max and one for the baby. it's surprising how little mess there is TBH. the MWs bring the big incontinence pads and put them where ever you sit or stand and they soak a litre of fluid :)

thanks for the website and info Mervs Mum
very useful information. Im guessing the midwives will inform you before hand what they bring with them

My tip for those planning on having their babes on their beds is this:

when your labour starts, strip your bed linen and put a clean sheet on, then a plastic sheet of some kind, then another sheet on top of that. then your fresh bedding on your duvet, pillows or what ever. then when you are ready you can remove the duvet or top covers, have your baby and then when you're ready someone can easily and quicly remove the top sheet and plastic sheet to reveal a clean one and you are in your fresh bed ready to really relax and appreciate how good it is to be at home :)

Id never given this a thought....thank you soooo much for that idea.... i will change it around and put a clean sheet underneath the waterproof sheet next time i change the bed :thumbup:

Im worried about how many towels im going to need too and also what sizes of towels... obviously baby needs one so that would have to be smaller but will i need any for me labouring other than the bath afterwards??

Gosh, so much to sort lol:wacko:

Editted to add: Wow i didnt think the MW's would really bring that much, just the essentials but thats very good of them if they bring big pads like that, that'll sure help protect my bed a little more if my waters go last minute again.

Your information is very greatful Mervs Mum, thank you very much :) xxxx

Yes i agree there is alot to sort out, and even being 25 weeks thats why i want to start doing it all early so i feel prepared and dont worry as i get closer to the day

Very good idea milk will look into them :D, incase you need them in early labour before MW gets there

im taping them up and putting them under my sheet, waters are not aloud to go on my bed lol!!!

You will usually be given a 'birth pack' at about 37 weeks with them in there :) I pinched one out of the bag to put on my matress in case my waters went while in bed. They did this time just as they had the previous time!

There really isnt a huge amount to sort out for a HB. In fact I think Milkmachine already had everything she needs now since that book turned up, right M? :winkwink:

Thanks for the advice. I will ask my midwife to start whatever process she has to at the 28 week appointment. Just might have to be a little forceful :D

Your MW will fill in the relevant paperwork at your 28 week appointment and then she will come and see you at 37 weeks, that is what I got told anyway so it shouldn't be any different for you I wouldn't think.

Think I may buy a pack of inco pads anyway, what harm can it do to keep the bed protected from other accidents after baby has been born if that overnight pad leaks..... xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->