homebirth but not planning on having birthing pool

I picked some up in Boots by accident thinking they were maternity 'pads' so rather than take them back I had one to sit on in the car and sleep on etc. for a couple of quid they dont go a miss :)

I had my daughter on my bed, I didn't buy/hire a birth pool due to lack of funds...however the birth was still less painful than I expected - combo of hypnobirthing techniques and being relaxed.
I put old bed linen on the bed incase I wanted a lie down at some point, and then when delivery got closer (i.e I lay on the bed and decided I wasnt movin) the midwife and doula put plastic sheeting over the top of it...and the midwife put absorbant pads down too.
Nothing got on the bed so I didnt have to change the sheets until the day after, I could just hop into bed :)

You will usually be given a 'birth pack' at about 37 weeks with them in there :) I pinched one out of the bag to put on my matress in case my waters went while in bed. They did this time just as they had the previous time!

There really isnt a huge amount to sort out for a HB. In fact I think Milkmachine already had everything she needs now since that book turned up, right M? :winkwink:

:thumbup:

At about 30 weeks I put a waterproof mattress protector on my bed - we have a fairly new memory foam mattress which cost us a bomb, so I didn't want it ruined if my waters went on it. That's a brilliant tip though, Mervs Mum, re the layers of sheets!

I don't think my midwives bought anything with them, it was up to me to provide everything, although they did have some of those small disposable sheet things, and they left a pack of them by mistake - came in handy for the nights following the birth when I was still, erm, leaking! x

I picked some up in Boots by accident thinking they were maternity 'pads' so rather than take them back I had one to sit on in the car and sleep on etc. for a couple of quid they dont go a miss :)

apparently if your waters go in the car you can never clean it up properly lol i have a friend who had to buy new back seats!! inco pads are a good thing

I've still got a massive stash of them pads that they left when I had Aimee. She left me a pile so I could put them under me in bed while still bleeding.

Your MW will fill in the relevant paperwork at your 28 week appointment and then she will come and see you at 37 weeks, that is what I got told anyway so it shouldn't be any different for you I wouldn't think.

Think I may buy a pack of inco pads anyway, what harm can it do to keep the bed protected from other accidents after baby has been born if that
And will it be my midwife that sees me or could it be anyone from my local area at 37 weeks? i know it could be a diffrent one for birth

overnight pad leaks..... xxx

Yes defo gonna get some anyway, incase they did break in bed, as some peoples waters break early anyway, and yes i may also leak after birth :blush:
Will it be my midwife that does the 37 week visit or can it be any midwife from local area? as i know it may very well be diffrent one for the birth

I had my daughter on my bed, I didn't buy/hire a birth pool due to lack of funds...however the birth was still less painful than I expected - combo of hypnobirthing techniques and being relaxed.
I put old bed linen on the bed incase I wanted a lie down at some point, and then when delivery got closer (i.e I lay on the bed and decided I wasnt movin) the midwife and doula put plastic sheeting over the top of it...and the midwife put absorbant pads down too.
Nothing got on the bed so I didnt have to change the sheets until the day after, I could just hop into bed :)

I thought it would be really messy and wasnt sure about doing it on the bed but this makes it seem a possibility thanks :thumbup:

apparently if your waters go in the car you can never clean it up properly lol i have a friend who had to buy new back seats!! inco pads are a good thing

:lol: with Hebe mine started in bed and gushed all the way to the birth centre....then as i got out the car the went with a vengeance! Just missed the seat!

There was no mess hun, not a spot of blood or any other bodily fluid in sight! My hubby was shocked, we've just been talkin about it actually. He said there seemed to be a lot of blood but they had it all "contained" in the inco pads.

Ok i think i will still put old sheets down just incase, but the bed may now be a serious possiblity as i love my home comforms, and then im on same floor as the toilet ect as my stairs are so steep everyone complains about them so wouldnt be nice to walk up in labour. and then i dont have to move once LO is here i can just stay on bed and fed her, and then clean up and stay in our room :D
I am so excited about the though of it all. Aimee is very cute BTW :D

^^^^^agreed! There was nothing to clean up at ours only the pool to sort out. even the double sheet trick wasnt needed for me (I was on the bed for an hour just before I got up and moved to the birth stool in the dining room) so we got in lovely clean sheets then had a second clean sheet a few days later! :lol:

Very useful info. What makes people think its all so messy as i know i though it was :lol:
Glad its not as like my bed

Will it be my midwife that does the 37 week visit or can it be any midwife from local area? as i know it may very well be diffrent one for the birth

I'm not 100% sure on that one but I have an appt with MW next week, if I see mine before you see your's i'll ask and report back to you on here hun xx

I am hoping for a homebirth. I will be in my bath for some of it if i feel i want to be, but dont want baby in the water so am not having a birthing pool. Anyone else wanting or had a home birth but not with birthing pool?

I did... I didn't want to spend the money on a pool so ended up just using my bath at the end of my labour and got out when I was pushing.

I had been standing in one spot for 4 hours, I was happy to stay there but I kinda flipped and wanted to know how far I was so after I was examined I tried to have a lie down but I couldn't stay still so my midwife at this point suggested having a warm bath with clary sage, it did the trick cos approx 40 mins later I had my baby.

Thanks hun, just wondered really as its nice to be prepare i know its early but i like things to get sorted early

I am hoping for a homebirth. I will be in my bath for some of it if i feel i want to be, but dont want baby in the water so am not having a birthing pool. Anyone else wanting or had a home birth but not with birthing pool?

I did... I didn't want to spend the money on a pool so ended up just using my bath at the end of my labour and got out when I was pushing.

I had been standing in one spot for 4 hours, I was happy to stay there but I kinda flipped and wanted to know how far I was so after I was examined I tried to have a lie down but I couldn't stay still so my midwife at this point suggested having a warm bath with clary sage, it did the trick cos approx 40 mins later I had my baby.

thanks very good to know

Stairs are very good for getting things moving if it stalls. My labour slowed a bit and my doula had me up n down the stairs.

I hated needin a wee, coz sittin on the toilet was not a good position for me...I cringe just thinkin about it. In the end I think I just pee'd on the floor...well onto a pad :blush: then the midwife drained my bladder for me.

aww bless that doesnt make that part of it sound to nice. Yes they will be good stairs to try and start things off, or to keep them going if the slow :lol:

Thanks hun, just wondered really as its nice to be prepare i know its early but i like things to get sorted early

Not a problem hun, there's nothing at all wrong in wanting to be prepared :thumbup: xx

I am one of these people who cant help but be prepared i panic i a way if im not and worry about things so much more

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->