homebirth but not planning on having birthing pool

I think its to do with positioning in some areas. I had NO intention of being flat on my back and legs akimbo - however, I was so exhausted after 36 hours awake I couldn't do anything else. It was either that or go in for ventouse (and there was NO WAY I wanted that)

Aww bless. hopefully it wont be quite as long for you this time nikki

trumpetbum, its down to 'elf and safety its far easier to get the lady out and into the ambulance if shes not in a bed; but I've heard they also want to encourage active birth and they've found a lot of women are tempted to lie flat on their back when giving birth in bed when this isn't ideal. In this area they don't stop you from giving birth in bed but discourage it; but in my old area they wouldn't 'allow' it at all (unless of course you live in a bedsit or a flat where the bedroom is nearest and most accessible to the front door I suppose you couldn't argue with that).

Sophie x

Oh my, I'd love to see someone try to stop me going where I want in my own house when I'm about to give birth :lol: i can totally 'get' discouraging lying down although most homebirthers usually avoid that position like the plague but it seemed the ideal place for me to kneel up, jam dh against the wall in a choke hold and push baby out at the time..m/w knelt on the floor and got a great view too :lol:

you can get inco bed pads from boots £2.99 for a ten pack too :D

Been to get some of these today....they are only 60cmx60cm, the maternity mats, although you only get 5 and not 10 in a pack are bigger at 60x90cm.

Was really hoping for something a little bigger...:dohh:

I had my baby down in my living room. The midwives and my OH were watching TV while I laid over my ball having contractions. He made them sandwiches and we all had a bit of a laugh and a chat throughout. It was lovely! I wouldn't have minded a pool but we'd just had new carpets so didn't want to risk soaking them!!

For the floor, we just had an old shower curtain and some of the maternity mats (from boots)I was using on the bed in case my waters broke - which they did!! The midwives supplied some too.

I had a tens machine, which I put on as soon as the contractions started so that I could get used to it and it really worked. My only advice would be to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth on each contraction, listen to what the midwives tell you and enjoy it!! I loved mine and would do it again tomorrow!!!

I planned mine to be a homebirth with no pool. water makes me itchy so it was never an option for me :) I did the set of sheets/waterproof sheet(eBAY)/set of sheets trick. our white duvet somehow ended up still being on the bed but it was perfectly clean ;)

I had my baby down in my living room. The midwives and my OH were watching TV while I laid over my ball having contractions. He made them sandwiches and we all had a bit of a laugh and a chat throughout. It was lovely! I wouldn't have minded a pool but we'd just had new carpets so didn't want to risk soaking them!!

For the floor, we just had an old shower curtain and some of the maternity mats (from boots)I was using on the bed in case my waters broke - which they did!! The midwives supplied some too.

I had a tens machine, which I put on as soon as the contractions started so that I could get used to it and it really worked. My only advice would be to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth on each contraction, listen to what the midwives tell you and enjoy it!! I loved mine and would do it again tomorrow!!!

That bit sounds just like us lot, til for some reason my crazy transitioning body decided to go upstairs :wacko:

I really had all intentions of avoiding my bed and being on my back like the plague...but I really dont know where I even found the energy to push. This time I'm hoping I at least get some rest or even sleep before pushing.
Or it'd be lovely if baby came early evening or somethin :winkwink: Do you think I can put in a request to pipling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->