Hospital bag "just in case"

Lauray

Reaction score
I've been really happy getting everything prepared for a home birth but I'm feeling weirdly apprehensive about preparing a bag :confused:

I guess I sort of feel like packing it would be admitting defeat before I start, but on the other hand I'm sure that if I did have to go into hospital I'd be glad to have it ready.

My SIL had her bag ready and when she went 15 days overdue her MW told her to go and unpack it and, hey presto, my niece was born the following day :baby:

Has anyone else decided for / against this?

My story is slighty different but il tell you my story as an example why i would pack one.

I was booked in for a home birth but my waters went at 35 weeks. I had all the baby stuff but it was all in carrier bags in my room, we had to pack my bag before we went in, we were in no rush but i dident want to move much as the more i moved the more my waters leaked so my mam was packing mine and babys clothes and i was sending OH to get other bits that wernt in the bedroom.

"Andrew can you go get me a wash bag ready"
He leaves the room and gets half way down the hall and comes back.
"What did you ask me to get"
"Wash bag"
"Ok"
Leaves again, gets halfway down the hall and comes back
"What do you want in it!
"Shampoo, conditioner,shower gell, facewash, toothbrush and toothpaste"
He leaves again, goes into the bathroom comes back a few mins later"
"Right iv got shampoo, shower gell and tooth paste"
"What about the other bits?"
"Oh shit yer"

I found it realy funny but had i been in pain i think i would have punched him

4 attempts it took him to pack a wash bag and i wasent even in labour.

So yes i would pack an overnight bag for you and get all babys things on a bag, if you do need transferring you dont want to have to faf on trying to organise getting a bag ready when you need to be concentrating on other things and even if you dont need transfering it makes it easier for the miwdwifes to have everything you might need in one place so it gives you and OH time to get to know your new baby with out them interrupting asking where things are.

I know exactly what you mean! I haven't done one - just kind of figure I can grab stuff if I need to.... or maybe I'll shove everything in a box to have to hand :shrug:

Birth bag or birth box. Doesnt mean you're going to hospital at all. All the things you would need in the unlikely event of transfer are exactly the things you, your birth partner/s and mws will appreciate having to hand to save rummaging around your house :D

"Andrew can you go get me a wash bag ready"
He leaves the room and gets half way down the hall and comes back.
"What did you ask me to get"
"Wash bag"
"Ok"
Leaves again, gets halfway down the hall and comes back
"What do you want in it!
"Shampoo, conditioner,shower gell, facewash, toothbrush and toothpaste"
He leaves again, goes into the bathroom comes back a few mins later"
"Right iv got shampoo, shower gell and tooth paste"
"What about the other bits?"
"Oh shit yer"

:haha: lol, this is exactly how I would envisage my OH to be like.

It's strange that this thread has started as today I have gone a tad mental getting everything ready - I thought I had it all prepped but no, I decided this mornig the house was a state and everything needed scrubbing (is this the elusive nesting instinct kicking in?).

I have just checked my 'emergency' hospital bag and realised that actually it just has baby stuff in it and nothing for me aside from breast pads! So I am now about to do a bit of a mad dash to get some bits together.

Lauray, it's not admitting defeat by packing the bag - think of it as a handy bag of bits to have close by during your home birth, rather than a bag you might need to take up to hospital with you. :thumbup:

I've been really happy getting everything prepared for a home birth but I'm feeling weirdly apprehensive about preparing a bag :confused:

I guess I sort of feel like packing it would be admitting defeat before I start, but on the other hand I'm sure that if I did have to go into hospital I'd be glad to have it ready.

My SIL had her bag ready and when she went 15 days overdue her MW told her to go and unpack it and, hey presto, my niece was born the following day :baby:

Has anyone else decided for / against this?

I had the same dilemma as you. I chose not to pack a bag. I did need to transfer shortly after my baby was born. I was unwell at that point, and not in any fit state to pack a bag. DH did it for me, and (humph!) packed all the wrong things.... The wrong sort of knickers, not enough maternity pads, no hairbrush, pre-pregnancy jeans (ummmm, you wish and i wish but it ain't happening, love!)....

I hope to have at least one more baby. I would make the same decision again. BUT on the back of his copy of my birth plan I would have (have already written, actually, how sad) a list of essential STUFF and where he can find it. Worst case scenario, he'll still get it a wee bit wrong.... But who cares? He's going to be visiting me in hospital anyway and can bring in any other stuff when he does. :)

Ive got a few bags ready but it's more so that my husband knows everything is in one place when we're at home - handy for if we do transfer, but mostly they're packed so I can just say "bring the bag down its on the dresser", rather than "I need some pads they're in the bathroom cupboard, I need a sleepsuit its in the babys room, make sure its newborn size" etcetc.

Just makes life a bit easier really!! Ive called them 'labour bags' though ;)

xxx

Hi Hon i just called mine a birthing bag. it was great fun to pack and i got to go shopping for some extra bits.

The benefit of a birthing bag (as everyone has already mentiond) is that my hubby knew that everything we needed for our home birth was in one place and he wouldnt have to go and find all my things like dressing gown PJ's slippers also the outfit i wanted the baby put in everything was in the bag including my drinking straws.

After my hubby said that the bag really did com in handy so everything you need for your home birth just put in your bag and if you need to get transwfered its all there and if you dont then its all there for your hubby :)

We are planning another homebirth and i am again looking forward to packing my birthing bag this time especially cause my friend is also pregnant and planning a home birth and she is 5wks ahead of me so we are comparing everything.

Good luck xxx

Thanks for the replies everyone, great suggestions. I felt kinda stupid for asking, but it was like I hit some sort of huge mental block thinking about it. I feel much better now though :thumbup:

I think I'll go with packing a "birthing bag" - somehow it seems less traumatic sounding than an "emergency" or "hospital" bag :D Plus, it means I can stick with most of the stuff I've already prepared anyway, with just a few additions :cool:

I think I'll also have a list of a few extra things to add to it IF I need to be transferred, complete with a map showing DH where to find things....

Thanks!

Im going to pack a bag...well if i can be bothered as at least that way everything will all be in once place anyway

I am packing a labour bag. But I've deliberately not used an overnight bag, I don't want the psychological downer of planning for a transfer. I've used a Bag For Life type bag instead.

I'm exactly the same, felt a little wrong/uncomfy to have a 'hospital bag' ready, so I've done a birthing box. It hasn't got everything in, but the main things I will need in labour and immediately afterwards. I figure in the case of transfer I can get DH to carry the box, it's pretty small with handles, like a really strong banana box :)

Ive also put stuff like my hot water bottle in, things that I wont need for hospital, because I felt by packing a hospital bag that I was defeating myself before I even started iykwim? That way the bag is more focused to being at home than in hospital.

Probably doesn't make sense, my mind is a little backwards sometimes :haha:

xxx

https://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/269570_10150691439500526_514630525_19356928_2461532_n.jpg

This is what all my stuff is going to go in, didnt want a actual bag.

That is a great idea Kala - I love it.. really simple for everyone to know where everthing is!

All my stuff (I mean everything - pool, hoses, mirror, hair bands, knickers, torch, MW's equipment etc etc) is sitting in the corner of the bedroom in boxes and although it is all there, it does look a bit unslightly!

I have an over night/day bag pack for my daughter, and that is just sitting under her bed - as she is 19 months she needs far more organisation and stuff than me for going anywhere anyways! lol - so it is just a bit more preped than her normal everyday going out bag.
I've still got to write a basic list of how her day normally goes; instruction manual for her, basically! Which I realised that my sister or mother might find helpful, as they have never had her over to stay without me ;-)

But for me, I haven't packed a thing. It will just be a case of, everything is there, so we can shove it in carrier bag and go if we need it
XXx

I'm still trying to figure out what sort of things I should put in my bag. I've thought of:
TENS machine
big knickers
maternity pads
a (cloth) nappy for Dinky (if we transfer DH'll have to grab more/disposables from upstairs)
first outfit for Dinky
big loose t-shirt for me
one of DH's shirts for me to wear (I want something that buttons so I can BF without stripping off totally)
water thermometer
my I Can Do It Because... birth art
a list of who to call with the news and their phonenumbers
swimming trunks for DH and bikini top for me
hot water bottle

I'm doing a seperate box with snacks for everyone in it (there'll be me, DH, MW, plus my Mom, Dad and sister).

What else might I need?

breast pads?

Im getting a water spray bottle to cool me down if need be

I'm still trying to figure out what sort of things I should put in my bag. I've thought of:
TENS machine
big knickers
maternity pads
a (cloth) nappy for Dinky (if we transfer DH'll have to grab more/disposables from upstairs)
first outfit for Dinky
big loose t-shirt for me
one of DH's shirts for me to wear (I want something that buttons so I can BF without stripping off totally)
water thermometer
hot water bottle

I'm doing a seperate box with snacks for everyone in it (there'll be me, DH, MW, plus my Mom, Dad and sister).

What else might I need?

Nursing bra?

TENS machine
big knickers
maternity pads
first outfit for Dinky
big loose t-shirt for me
water thermometer
hot water bottle

What else might I need?

Kess, you are planning a home birth right>>?

I really really don't want to put a downer on it - but if you transfer, it won't be to the midwifery lead unit (unless you decide that home just isn't the place for you without medical reasons), you will be going to the obstrtric unit, as anything that can be done for you in midwifery care, can be done at home...
So I'm sorry to say that the bikini, shorts for your OH and thermometer will be redundant!.. you won't be trasfering to get in the pool at the hospital.. it will be because you need further medical attention that can't be provided for at home.

I hope I've got this right, and you are not just planning your birth for the midwifery lead unit?
XXx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"