Hospital bag "just in case"

I'm still trying to figure out what sort of things I should put in my bag. I've thought of:
TENS machine
big knickers
maternity pads
a (cloth) nappy for Dinky (if we transfer DH'll have to grab more/disposables from upstairs)
first outfit for Dinky
big loose t-shirt for me
one of DH's shirts for me to wear (I want something that buttons so I can BF without stripping off totally)
water thermometer
my I Can Do It Because... birth art
a list of who to call with the news and their phonenumbers
swimming trunks for DH and bikini top for me
hot water bottle

I'm doing a seperate box with snacks for everyone in it (there'll be me, DH, MW, plus my Mom, Dad and sister).

What else might I need?

Kess, you are planning a home birth right>>?

I really really don't want to put a downer on it - but if you transfer, it won't be to the midwifery lead unit (unless you decide that home just isn't the place for you without medical reasons), you will be going to the obstrtric unit, as anything that can be done for you in midwifery care, can be done at home...
So I'm sorry to say that the bikini, shorts for your OH and thermometer will be redundant!.. you won't be trasfering to get in the pool at the hospital.. it will be because you need further medical attention that can't be provided for at home.

I hope I've got this right, and you are not just planning your birth for the midwifery lead unit?
XXx

We are having a homebirth, but this labour bag isn't acting (solely) as an emergency if-we-need-to-transfer bag, it's mainly the place to have all our stuff together for the birth so DH doesn't have to go hunting with me trying to give instructions in between contractions. DH has one of the worst Spot checks (sorry, DnD referrence) ever, so I'd end up wandering round getting it all together myself, no matter how far along I was. But I figure I also should have in there a few bits for just in case.

[/QUOTE]We are having a homebirth, but this labour bag isn't acting (solely) as an emergency if-we-need-to-transfer bag, it's mainly the place to have all our stuff together for the birth so DH doesn't have to go hunting with me trying to give instructions in between contractions. DH has one of the worst Spot checks (sorry, DnD referrence) ever, so I'd end up wandering round getting it all together myself, no matter how far along I was. But I figure I also should have in there a few bits for just in case.[/QUOTE]

I think this is a great way of looking at it! Its a birthing bag/box for your birth it keeps everything in one place for you regardless of where you give birth.

Hahaha! Oh right really sorry, I misunderstood!!! So it is just all birth stuff - just like my pile of bits!
Think I was confused by your ref to a bag ;-)
All good then!

I have my corner of stuff the following:
Birth pool
Shower curtains
Hose (to fill in the pool with connectors)
Electric air pump (for blowing up the pool)
Hand air pump - not that I’m planning for a power cut, or the electric to stop working, but could be useful to top up without noise.
Water pump (for quick emptying, as we have our daughter and the water to consider - plus the need for space!)
Hose to empty the pool (the pump has a different gauge, which is irritating!)
Gaffa tape (and not because I want OH to be quiet, to fix empting hose down the toilet u-bend!)
Bucket (for being sick into or to use as A potty)
Birth ball
TENS
Mirror - if I'm in a position where MW can' see, or to let me see for myself baby crowning
Torch
Flannel
Hot water bottle
Water spray
Hair bands/ clips (nothing more annoying than your hair in your face!)
Straws
Desk light for MWs
Maternity pads
Nipple pads
New big mummy knickers
Cotton wool
Bed clothes
Change mat
Incontinence pads (like large bed wetting pads, I got from the hospital)
Lip balm (GnA can really dry you out)
3 Towels

Then there is all the other things that are staying where they are arond the house:
Food and drinks for birth
Champers in the fridge!
Meals in the freezer for a week or so. - with the all important bacon for a sandwich after - I'm so looking forward to that! ;)
Toiletries
Nappies
Baby clothes blankets out on the mosses basket
Dressing gown
Tea coffee and snacks for MWs
Nipple cream
Blankets, cushions and pillows for me
Baking paraphernalia- I plan to make things in early labour.. (muffins, cakes, bread)
DVDs
i-pod and dock

Wozers!!! Now I've written that out, I didn't realise the list of carp* I actually had for his birth - seems silly now, as nothing is really needed for birth, just me!

XxX

I had a birth box. Virtually everything I would need was in it, transfer or no - but I didn't go thru it with DH ahead of time and tell him "pretty much everything we could need is in there!" So he just went round trying to find stuff all over the house instead.... DUH me :/ Which is why next time, I'll do the same and I'll make sure he knows WHICH bits out of that box are essential to have with me if I transfer :)

I'm going to have a little bag packed. Just with my basics, PJ's, undies, washbag and a few bits for LO. anything else can always be picked up later if need be :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->