Hospital vs Homebirth

Dogtanian

Reaction score
Throughout my pregnancy i have been sure that i want a homebirth.Now i am physically and emotionally drained i think it might be easier to just go to hospital,rather than have to organise a birth pool etc for home.
I know i will be disappointed if i spend £300 on the birth pool i really want and end up in hospital anyway.
I want to be at home surrounded by family,and not be in hospital overnight on my own,but what if i go to all this trouble and i end up there anyway? Wish i could see the future lol
All opinions welcome,im struggling with this now

:dust:

I thought you could get birth pools for £99, i've seent them at that price. I've still not decided what i want to do, but one thing to bear in mind is make the decision for hospital and there's no chance of a home birth, but choose at home and you can go to hospital whenever you like so your options are still open.

£300 on a birth pool?!

I had a hospital birth last time, this time I'm going for homebirth. Personally I think its a lot less stressful having my birth at home and will be way more relaxed :)!

https://www.madeinwater.co.uk/la-bassine-birth-pool-kit/ here's a birth pool with everything included for £100.

I think if you're feeling emotionally drained and the homebirth is really what you want, then you should go for the homebirth. It could be the difference in a good birthing experience/bad birthing experience to you.
Good luck with what you chose!
I'm having a homebirth and sorting out pool etc seems like such a pain in the arse but I know it will all be worth it xxxx

£300 on a birth pool?!

Yeah i was looking at one of the hexagonal ones that i can set up and leave,and will remain heated throughout,so there is less stress for OH = less stress for me lol.Also OH wants to get in the pool and get involved.
It does seem like a pain to get it all sorted,but i will just have to get on with it i think.
Thanks for the advice-keep it coming

I think if it's what you want in your heart then you shouldn't let a bit of organisational hassle get in your way - you'll only end up regretting it. As roomaloo says, if you organise the home birth then at least your options are open, whereas giving up on it leaves you with only hospital as an option. If it's just organising it and potentially wasting the money that's putting you off, then that's not really a real reason to give up on what you know you want. And even if you do end up in hospital, I doubt very much that you'll be disappointed that you spent money on something you didn't use - you'll be too in love with your new baby!

£300 on a birth pool?!

Yeah i was looking at one of the hexagonal ones that i can set up and leave,and will remain heated throughout,so there is less stress for OH = less stress for me lol.Also OH wants to get in the pool and get involved.
It does seem like a pain to get it all sorted,but i will just have to get on with it i think.
Thanks for the advice-keep it coming

We have a la bassine and we've done a run through and really, its no hassle. If you buy a kit you'll have the air pump and it goes up SO quickly then to fill it you just use a hose and tap adapter and it takes about 30 mins to fill. They lose 1 degree an hour apparently which isnt much at all. Just means 1 hot water bucket in, 1 cold out. Then to empty you get a pump :shrug:

I'm having a VBAC this time. I orginally planned to deliver at home, after researching my options I decided that going against medical advice was in my best interests. I had my 20 weeks consultant appointment and he was very unsupportive of a home birth and made out that all other staff would be unsupporitve as well. I decided that although I still considered home the best place, that I would get very stressed from not having enough support for a home birth and this would have a negative impact on my labour and delivery.

I shopped around and transferred my care to another hospital where I beleive I can achieve a very natural birth plan in hospital. I feel relief that the stress arranging a home birth has gone and I have a better idea of what will actually happen on the day. OH is also more relaxed about the birth plan.

With DD I planned a home birth, but transfered in and ended up with a C-Section. Transfer wasn't the end of the world and at least I had some of my labour at home.

Maybe you should write a pros and cons list of having a home birth and see if that helps your decision.

Blah11- that does sound very straightforward,didnt realise it was as simple as taking out a buckets worth of cold water and adding a hot one to keep the temp mantained.Is the La Bassine pool big enough for OH to get in as well?
Celesse-thanks for your great advice.Part of me did feel that i would be more relaxed if i did put my care in the hands of the hospital,which is ironic because people have a homebirth to be more relaxed! I have written a pros and cons list and the homebirth is winning!

my birthpool cost me £20 off gumtree and my kit ( arrived this morning ) cost me £55 to hire from "waterbabies" and it comes with a sterile liner , electric pump for inflating and deflating and submersible pump to empty the pool so OH doesnt have syphon it off to empty it

Blah11- that does sound very straightforward,didnt realise it was as simple as taking out a buckets worth of cold water and adding a hot one to keep the temp mantained.Is the La Bassine pool big enough for OH to get in as well?
Celesse-thanks for your great advice.Part of me did feel that i would be more relaxed if i did put my care in the hands of the hospital,which is ironic because people have a homebirth to be more relaxed! I have written a pros and cons list and the homebirth is winning!

Yup, its a decent size :thumbup:

The key is to find help. Although its different in the UK u should have plenty support available to u so that you do not have to worry about everything. After 3 hospital births I am planning a homebirth and have lots of help. Midwife with 2 assistants, doula, hubby and hopefully friends. I dont want to worry in labor about the pool, supplies ect I will be a little busy. In the past I struggled with this and decided it would be easier to just go to the hospital I regreted the decision afterwards due to uncomplicated deliveries I should have just went with my hb and deligated. Good luck to you do what you want and dont be afraid to ask for help!

Oh and I have the Labassine too it has plenty of room I am preg with twins with a tall good sized hubby we fit fine. Cant tell from the pic but this is very roomy.

Thanks for the reply.
According to the made in water website they do not recommend the la bassine pool for two people due to hygiene reasons,but if you girls recommend it thats good enough for me.OH is only little so that shouldnt be a problem lol.
The only thing thats putting me off the la bassine is that the hose does not extend beyond 15 m,and i might need a bit more than that.Does anyone have any experience of the hexagonal pool or any others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->