Housing benefit to be scrapped for the under 25's

The Independant says "Mr Cameron's proposal to axe housing benefit for the under-25s would include exemptions for special cases, such as domestic violence.". Still not sure how you can force someone to provide for an adult child though?

I didnt mean if they were unemployed, I meant those that are working. It costs a fortune to rent here.

was that at me? because I was being sarcastic aha, I agree with you

:rofl: nope, sorry. Should of quoted, I meant it in reply to the then they get a job :thumbup:

I'm sorry but there are jobs available for those at school...it shows they have a work ethic early on..and from experience it's easier to get a job when you have a job-before anyone takes that as a dig,Dean was unemployed for 2 years,I know how hard it is.

I said I was talking about those already in employment. It costs around £900pm here for a studio apartment, plus bills. A flat share is about £750, plus bills. On minimum wage that would be really really tight, when you think 38 hours a week on minimum wage is likely to bring you in £1k (roughly), so if you are in a studio apartment you have £100 pm or £250 in a flat share to pay for food, electric, gas, travel (a monthly bus pass is £73 straight off), tv license and any other essentials.

Oh and there a tiny amount of flat shares avaliable here, I think because people can get so much money for three bed flats as a whole.

I dont agree with a blanket ban for the under 25's, it should just be made fair for everyone. I think its a case really of a few bad eggs spoiling it for everyone else.
I completely disagree with that part of the qoute that says people are encouraged to have kids and not work-as i said in my first post I find it the opposite. I think it should be made more friendly for people who want to bring their own children up, currently they give out money for nursery places but you dont get anyhelp if you dont want your child brought up by nursery staff.

I didnt mean if they were unemployed, I meant those that are working. It costs a fortune to rent here.

was that at me? because I was being sarcastic aha, I agree with you

:rofl: nope, sorry. Should of quoted, I meant it in reply to the then they get a job :thumbup:

I'm sorry but there are jobs available for those at school...it shows they have a work ethic early on..and from experience it's easier to get a job when you have a job-before anyone takes that as a dig,Dean was unemployed for 2 years,I know how hard it is.

I said I was talking about those already in employment. It costs around £900pm here for a studio apartment, plus bills. A flat share is about £750, plus bills. On minimum wage that would be really really tight, when you think 38 hours a week on minimum wage is likely to bring you in £1k (roughly), so if you are in a studio apartment you have £100 pm or £250 in a flat share to pay for food, electric, gas, travel (a monthly bus pass is £73 straight off), tv license and any other essentials.

Life is really tight though...:shrug: and why a flat alone,or even a flat share..if people want to move out,surely a room in a house will suffice?If the amount they are paying out to kids who have children JUST to get housed,and those who refuse not to work,the balance might have a hope in hells chance of tipping the other way,so it pays to work?

That is what I mean a room in a flat/house, sorry for not making that clearer.

Some people dont have the choice of wanting to move out, some parents dont want their children living at home once an adult.

I completely get what you are saying, they do need to address the balance but the balance of putting people out on the street is a worry, people living in poverty cos they cant afford their rent, food, travel and to have electric.

And the problem is it might have the opposite affect, as in that most likely people with children will be exempt (as they are now in the single room thing) and so desperate people will think well there is my answer, have a child and I will be exempt from this.

Im disgusted with all of the recent changes and proposed changes. We are not work shy in the slightest and we have done our best to get on our feet but nobody will give us a chance. Its so easy for some people to say "Go and get a job".

Also, my parents dont want me in their houses. Not to mention i also come with a husband and a child. What would that mean for us? We end up homeless because there is a high level of unemployment right now so not everybody will end up with a job? Not a fair deal in my opinion. I worked from age 14 until i was 30 weeks pregnant. Full time started age 16. So its not a case of benefits culture. Its an unfortunate situation that is VERY common right now.

I also hate the bitter responses that come out on the news etc from people saying "I dont get it, why should you". We all struggle, yes. But i would trade in a heartbeat if i was working and not getting looked at like scum.

As for the CV thing, i had to bring one in for the first meeting. Im not even sure where they get this information.

Conservative is a party for the rich in my opinion. They are certainly showing it these days. Im disgusted with my country right now for many reasons.

Wow. The amount of people sleeping on the streets is going to shoot up :-( what a wonderful country this is! I completely understand there are many people out there that take advantage of the benefits system and refuse to work but then there are those who have worked all their lives, paid taxes all their lives and have families who will be brought up to have a work ethic who have just fallen on hard times and need some help from the goverment! They have paid taxes why shouldn't they get something back when needed??? Jobs are EXTREMELY hard to come by these days - its not just as simple as "well get a job then" some people just need help :-(

If they bring this into place, myself and OH will be fucked. We get half of our rent paid as he is on a low wage, but if we wanted to spend that amount of money (the amount that half our rent costs) on something, we'd have to save up (which you cant obviously do each month to cover rent!). We could afford to lose the HB if we didn't have bills to pay and need food to eat! :(

If this comes into power, I honestly don't know what we'll do. Same goes for my best friend, she has recently fallen pregnant, whilst she and her OH are both on JSA. And her house is already overcrowded (2 parents, 8 children; 3 of which are over 18; between 3 bedrooms, but the council won't rehouse them because they don't do overcrowded), so she'll need a house to go into, but if they won't house her, and she can't get HB to private rent, then she'll be fucked from the get-go :( xx

That's the whole point though...benefits should be a safety net..NOT a career choice,as they seem to be for many.

I know it's tough to get a job,but it seems to be the attitude of kids today..ahh it doesn't matter,i'll get paid anyway..

Of course,if you have paid in and genuinely fallen on hard times you should get help,its those who have no intention of getting a job that pee so many off..xx

I was 17 when I left home and worked for £50 per week on apprenticeship. This would have ruined me big time, I relied on it. :( back then I couldn't afford my tea tbh!

So because their attitude pees people off we should throw them onto the streets if they are unable to find a job even if they look? And that's just the lazy people out there that's not even the ones who have always wanted to work! I just can not understand what good making people homeless is going to do for anyone - these are peoples LIVES! I am just so baffled by what good this proposal is meant to doXx

So because their attitude pees people off we should throw them onto the streets if they are unable to find a job even if they look? And that's just the lazy people out there that's not even the ones who have always wanted to work! I just can not understand what good making people homeless is going to do for anyone - these are peoples LIVES! I am just so baffled by what good this proposal is meant to doXx

They obv can't throw the people out on the street who are already in council houses,there are people who can't find work,they are the one's who need the help...they should stop people being able to buy their council houses,they are there to help people in need,not to buy.

I think what they are trying to do is stop the next generation thinking benefits are a career choice...

You know what the daily mail are like..In my opinion I think they way they will work it is

Anyone currently claiming housing benefit including those under 25 will continue to get it.

It will be there to 'top up' earnings for people who do work,or fall on hard times.

i dont get why its for under 25s?

i know of loads of people on benefits over 30 that could work but dont why just screw over the young ones - good start thats going to be!

as for house shares ect around here a house share is bloody expensive!!

its fine saying these things but we are in a reccession where jobs are few and far between and rising living expenses - how do they expect people to live?

me and OH both work but couldnt afford to private rent around here for almost £800 a month that would leave £400 for food, water, gas, electric, petrol, car (needed to get to work!!) ect it would be extremely tight!

doesn't effect families unless your on job seekers if your on income support its diffierent

I haven't read the DM article but the way I understand it is that this would be a long term plan. The thinking is that young people get on benefits, get their rent paid etc and loose the incentive / motivation to work. It sets people up with an unhealthy attitude.

I do agree that people should see benefits as a last resort and not the norm or a way of life. I think it's appalling that people get a council house and then think they are sorted for life, and can stay there even when they could afford to rent privately.

Maybe if young people knew that they couldnt rely on the state for hand outs maybe they would make different choices?

think if there is no jobs there really needs to be more focus on that front.

Me and my husband are looking for work, we've been on JSA since xmas and are renting from a housing association. He turns 25 in August though so hopefully nothing happens till then, although they really should go about this a different way i.e with the single mums and couples with children who are trying to get work. it isnt easy getting a job here, i hope that we will be ok when he turns 25 with the fact im only 22 :cry:

I don't understand why they don't allow Working Tax Credit to under 30's(or is it 25?) unless you have a child...that would give people an incentive to work..xx

I don't understand why its only under 25's surely once you get older you get more settled into a job and have some money to land on incase something goes wrong? I think it should be stopped for everyone tbh unless its an execptional case ie single mothers ECT

TBH i don't get the whole benifits thing I've never looked into untill i had babies because i heard about all this 'money' you could get from everyone and although we don't get child tax credits atm with one child we will get £37 a WEEK once our next is here ot seems rediculus , i can see why people think having children is easier than batting a job if they are willing to hand that out x

Edited: sorry about spelling mistakes im sure this phone is illiterate x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->