Housing benefit to be scrapped for the under 25's

I agree with what you say here. I just wanted to point out that it's a fallacy that everyone gets disability - assuming you are talking about what used to be Incapacity Benefit. In order to get that you actually have to of worked for a minimum of 2 years - usually more because it's worked out on tax years. Therefore a student out of uni is unable to claim it if they have not worked and also people like myself who have not worked since having children are unable to claim it.

You can claim as a young person who has never worked, if you were incapacitated for a period of 6 months (consecutively) with at least one day falling before your 20th birthday, when you could claim under 'Youth Rules'. (That was for incapacity benefit, there are Youth Rules when transferring an IB claim to ESA but I don't know about new ESA claims).

Are there restrictions on Income-Based ESA and incapacity benefit, or are those rules just for contributions-based? (I thought someone single could claim IB in some circumstances where someone in a couple wouldn't be able to for example)/

The new ESA rules i know nothing about as i left the Department for Work and Pensions about 6 months before ESA came in. I worked on Incapacity Benefit for 6 years and i've never come across anyone who could claim if they hadn't worked but were under 20 etc. There did used to be a benefit that i can't think what it was called now - it was stopped a few years before i started but those already claiming it could still claim it - however that was for people who were seriously ill rather than short term bad backs, broken bones etc

I'm really not sure about the new ESA rules - i assumed that if you were claiming as contribution based then it wouldn't matter if your OH worked or not.

I think it's awful for those who are really in need. It's terrible that age is the issue as well it should be made the same for everyone there are people who are older who fraud the system.

I understand the need for cutbacks however I don't think itl come to this though.

I think its ridiculous 25 is far to old to cap it under 21 yes i could understand it but not 25 that is a joke what is going on with this government i understand the countrys in debt and needs to save money and needs cut backs but there is at the moment alot of it being aimed at people on benefits when some people do genuinely need the help yes there are people who just see it as a lifestyle choice but come on whats next!!

This, or something like it, has been going about for a while. (I know it's not about HB but its point still is food for thought :))

HB costs have been increasing because of the ludicrous situation re. inflated rent prices, and inadequate wages. Only 1 in 8 people claiming HB are unemployed.

Attachments

• 578059_350885854982513_1931094600_n.jpg
    578059_350885854982513_1931094600_n.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 15
Taxing the rich only works to a point though, and tax avoidance is legal (isn't it? I always get them muddled!) and a lot of people do it - small companies with one director, to big multinationals. We can't really compete on a global market with huge tax burdens on companies (much worse than elsewhere in the world) - companies just up and leave, and that doesn't help anyone. Austerity should affect everyone, and attitudes do need to change. A lot of folk are saying "The parents shouldn't be responsible" but should the government? We need to change what the benefit system is, completely.

i think there has recently been some changes in people who are living in council houses larger than they require. My nana and grandad are in their 80s, my grandad is very ill and they live i na three bedroom house with the bathroom upstairs and he really struggles. They have had their names down to enter into sheltered hosuing for roughly three years now and NOTHING. The council is now charging them 20 pound a week for each empty room. So even though they want to move they now have to pay and extra forty pound a week rent. I know it doesnt sound much, but they are surviving on pensions.

I think the idea of charging for the spare rooms is actually a good one - but they need to take it on a case by case basis x

That is awful. If they were refusing to move, I could understand it but they're not and it is out of their control if there is other property's avaliable for them to move into. I think that is a local council rule though, it hasnt been bought in here yet x

the great bedroom tax that is slowly unfolding round the country, it will be in full force by by april 2013, We are going to be hit with it soon, I can't wait :dohh:
I do think the whole system needs a overhaul, and agree more then 2 children, your on your own, to many people have children just to stay on more benefits, and that is wrong, no encouragement to get off their backsides!
As for over 25s going back home? sorry but what? How about lowering the retirement age instead of upping it and then helping the youngsters just coming out into the big world instead of kicking them in the teeth and not supporting them.

What would happen to all the retired people then? Pension bills are already becoming more and more unmanageable because people live longer, so the proportion of pensioners compared to working age people is getting higher.

It's all about inequality IMO. It doesn't sit right with me that an elite few people have so much wealth whilst many hard working people struggle hugely. Working people, who have to claim housing benefit because in our system a full time wage can't cover rent. Those who do not work at all are a minority.

Of course the rich need to be taxed, that's where all the money is! Finding tax loopholes may be legal, but so is claiming benefits. Saying that lots of people avoid tax basically underlines my point that it is a large problem :flower:

being a single mum im soo scared about this... we private rent but the council pay our rent for us. its quite scary the fact the LO & myself could be made homeless :S

I think its for the people who are not making a good enough effort to find work that will prob get their HB scrapped or reduced. Cus some people on the doll really aren't applying for anything get their money stopped for a few days then start up again.

What would happen to all the retired people then? Pension bills are already becoming more and more unmanageable because people live longer, so the proportion of pensioners compared to working age people is getting higher.

Hmmm good point, but what motivation have school leavers got? Uni fees are through the roof, jobs are hard to come by, its easy to see why so many sit on the dole and don't bother,
it really is a sh*t time right now and DC really is a pillock!

This isnt actually happening, it's just something they are saying they might do in the future. They also say that it doesn't apply to all under 25s but those who don't need to live away from home. x

Hmmm good point, but what motivation have school leavers got? Uni fees are through the roof, jobs are hard to come by, its easy to see why so many sit on the dole and don't bother,
it really is a sh*t time right now and DC really is a pillock!

I agree it is a shitty time and DC and his cronies are not helping matters at all.

It's particularly hard for school leavers as many jobs won't take anyone on who has no experience but how do they get that in the first place... However it's hard for anybody looking for work... I graduate soon and have been looking around for opportunities, I'm not finding much out there, it's really frustrating :(

posted this on the other thread but this is a great article

https://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/27/young-people-are-rubbish

posted this on the other thread but this is a great article

https://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/27/young-people-are-rubbish

Very good article - thanks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member