Housing benefit to be scrapped for the under 25's

i definatly agree with the idea that the focus should be creating ways for people to earn their benefits or creating jobs more than taking money away from people xx

I heard this on the news today. It's a bit much.

I mean, it is hard enough for youngsters these days, car insurance is expensive, road tax, petrol, owning a car in general really and now they will take this away.

And what about the parents? Do they want their 23-24 year old still at home?

I haven't read all the replies but i just wanted to say that i can't actually understand why parents would throw their children out of the house just because they are 18. My parents were quite happy for us to be at home prior to getting married. My sister left at 21, my youngest brother went to uni and didn't really return so he was 18, my other brother was 27 and i was 26. We all payed rent to our parents but staying at home allowed us to save up money in order to leave home. I think the majority of people i know stayed at home with their parents until they were in a financial position to leave. - and most of those were well into their 20's and their parents didn't mind.
While things like car insurance and petrol is expensive, if you are in a position where money is tight then you really have to look at priorities. I didn't have a car for a long while after i passed my test because i couldn't afford one. I either used public transport or cycled. To me, unless you actually have to have a car in order to be able to do your job, a car isn't actually a necessity, it's something you buy when you can actually afford it.

I think there definitely needs to be reforms to the benefit system however there is no way that'd it'd be able to be done in a way that would be seen as fair by everyone. Whilst i don't agree with the while child benefit changes i feel that my loosing the CHB is my way of helping reduce the deficit.

I also agree with the cookielucylou - i have chosen to stay at home and look after my children and because i do that we loose out on loads of extra help that other people get. But in order for us to get that help i'd have to work pretty much full time which we mean i'd hardly see my children.

I think its bad idea to be honest. I don't claim anything but imagine if I fell through hard times, who would I turn to? I've been completely estranged from my family for over 3 years. There is no way I'd be able to knock on the door and ask if I could move back.

Would this affect single parents?

To be honest I think its ageist to just single out under 25's. They say it should save 1.8 billion pound from the 21 billion housing benefit tax bill. That just clearly suggest that the over 25's are the ones costing the most. Ridiculous.

Rach, I know plently of people that there parents want them out as soon as possible, mainly due to over-crowding.

And I guess the car thing depends where you live, if you live in a city or the suburbs then you will be fine without one, but if you live in quite a rural area then you would need one to get to work.

my parents left me when i was 15! so parents aren't always doing to do whats best some can't cope, some can't afford it or have other kids etc. so many reasons. and for the car we can't afford to drive and walk about 4miles every day or more some days as public transport is nightmare they make millions and still cut services

I still think that the current system encourages a sense of entitlement. I don think its healthy for a young person to think that they can basically do what they like and the government will provide for them.

Been a parent doesn't end when a child turns 18. Personally I would much rather my child was living at home aged 24, earning a living, saving, and planning a future of their own making rather than moving out and depending on the state.

IMO the system needs huge changes to hopefully encourage a healthier attitude in future generations.

I haven't read all the replies but i just wanted to say that i can't actually understand why parents would throw their children out of the house just because they are 18. My parents were quite happy for us to be at home prior to getting married. My sister left at 21, my youngest brother went to uni and didn't really return so he was 18, my other brother was 27 and i was 26. We all payed rent to our parents but staying at home allowed us to save up money in order to leave home. I think the majority of people i know stayed at home with their parents until they were in a financial position to leave. - and most of those were well into their 20's and their parents didn't mind.
While things like car insurance and petrol is expensive, if you are in a position where money is tight then you really have to look at priorities. I didn't have a car for a long while after i passed my test because i couldn't afford one. I either used public transport or cycled. To me, unless you actually have to have a car in order to be able to do your job, a car isn't actually a necessity, it's something you buy when you can actually afford it.

I think there definitely needs to be reforms to the benefit system however there is no way that'd it'd be able to be done in a way that would be seen as fair by everyone. Whilst i don't agree with the while child benefit changes i feel that my loosing the CHB is my way of helping reduce the deficit.

I also agree with the cookielucylou - i have chosen to stay at home and look after my children and because i do that we loose out on loads of extra help that other people get. But in order for us to get that help i'd have to work pretty much full time which we mean i'd hardly see my children.

this is fine if you have a good public transport system (which where my parents live they dont! its 2 buses a day and thats it what are you suppose to do then? it was too far for me to walk or cycle so id have to be without a job? :wacko:

Is this definatly going to happen, I really hope it doesn't :nope:.

Me and my partner are 21 and 20 we both work extremely hard for VERY little money! At the moment we are living with my parents we can afford to private rent a studio flat costs nearly 600pcm so dread to think what a 2 bed might be. My cousin pays £750pm for a right hovel it's disgusting :nope:.

Were in the council list where it looks like we're going to be for the next god knows how many years (even though were overcrowded and my father is disabled and has falls reguarlyly i guess they just wanna wait till he falls on the baby!!) till something's comes up... It's the only way we can afford to have our own place, council housing benefit would really make this a reality.

Without this we really are stuck the whole idea of those having children giving up work to get benefits is not the majority :nope:. But yes it is frustrating when I have to go back to work to a place that bullied me to the point of breakdown when pregnant used to come home a jabbering wreck considering taking my own life all while i waseecting belle....... So I have to go back there toa measly 8hours a week as they can't give the hours I used to do.... To provide for my daughter :cry:.

If when we move out it works off me better not going back to that hell hole then I will deffo leave couldn't give a s*** what others think of that tbh either.

I still think that the current system encourages a sense of entitlement. I don think its healthy for a young person to think that they can basically do what they like and the government will provide for them.

Been a parent doesn't end when a child turns 18. Personally I would much rather my child was living at home aged 24, earning a living, saving, and planning a future of their own making rather than moving out and depending on the state.

IMO the system needs huge changes to hopefully encourage a healthier attitude in future generations.

I wish I could still be living here with my parents saving to move out but my parents charge me more rent from our small wage than I would have to pay on a council home.

Yep that includes food in the money I pay but I'm not joking its crappy junk that's dished up every night covered in grease, so because of this the money we could save goes on different healthier meals for myself and my partner.(obviously we buy all Isabelle's stuff:thumbup:)

This is the thing though hun..by getting people who Don't need council houses etc to move back with their parents,it opens up the chance for people who do need them,like yourselves.xx

Those people who are estranged from their parents will more than likely be excluded. I used to work for the benefits and there are always exclusions to these things. Like under 18's (I think or it may of been under 16's) aren't able to claim HB or IS. But if you are estranged from your parents you can.

Iro the car-I appreciate that if you live rurally or in a place with rubbish transport than you would need a car, that why I said that those who don't really need a car should look at public transport etc. there are alot of people who drives cars when they don't need one. I car shared with my siblings and mum when I learnt to drive. We just accepted that if one of us needed the car the others would have to get a lift etc.

It's unfortunate that reforms can't be made without impacting in the genuine people. People who screw the system for themselves are ending up screwing everyone else too. Having seen members of my family struggle on benefits for genuine reasons it irks me that others seem to work the system to their advantage. I mean I worked there for 13 years and I still don't know how to screw the system!!!

When I first moved out of home I didnt even know about all those benefits, i had a house share and still had to work 6 days a week with lots of double shifts to tide me over. I moved back home in the end as it was too much for me.

I'm so interested in your benefits system!from what I know about ours in aus there is no way you could survive long term on benefits and have a good life unless it's a parenting benefit or disability.also once your children are school aged you only continue to get benefits if you are actively seeking a job or further education which is monitered through government job seeker agencies that find you jobs and you have to go to a certain amount of interviews ect.same for benefits,to continue recieving benefits you have to go to meeting and interviews all the time and be actively looking for work.
Rent here is usually between $1000-$1300 a month(ours is about $1300) and we don't get help unless people are on parenting payments for low income.and we get a family tax benefit unless you earn too much,the year before last we got about $190 a fortnight(when oh's income was $90,000) then his pay went through the next bracket and now we get $80 a fortnight even though oh earns a very high wage.which is to supplement me as the lowest income earner as I do not work.
Does your benefits system have this level of forcing it's recipients to look for work?because if not that is 100% the answer.I don't know anyone living off benefits who aren't studying and the single parents I know all work part time at least so don't soley rely on their benefits

This is the thing though hun..by getting people who Don't need council houses etc to move back with their parents,it opens up the chance for people who do need them,like yourselves.xx

I completely agree with this. I know someone who is in their 40's and has 3 bedroom council house yet that could go to a family who need the space.
But there are people who are estranged from their parents. I am and in I ever was in trouble financially I'd probably be living on the streets.

I am just tired of hearing how young people have no work ethic, what about the amount of 25's that continue to have babies so that they don't have to work. I think that's a bigger burden.

One of the best things to do is actually create more jobs for people because I've had a look recently and there isn't much going in my area.

Maybe also if people were encouraged more to stay home and provide their own childcare rather than trying to get everyone back to work it would open up some more jobs.
The council system needs to change too, to moving people when there houses are too big for them-my fil lives in a 4 bed and as far as the council know has been on his own for ages.

When they mentioned getting people to move if they didn't need the property size they were in,everyone kicked off played the whole 'Why should someone move from their lifetime home?' card...the thing is council and social housing is a RENTAL...it's no different to private renting and your landlord selling the property...a council house shouldn't be considered a home for life...

Yep cookie, they cant make you move if you have too many bedrooms. I know someone in a three bed flat, there are just her and her husband so they have a bedroom each and the third bedroom she uses as a dressing room :wacko:

Yep cookie, they cant make you move if you have too many bedrooms. I know someone in a three bed flat, there are just her and her husband so they have a bedroom each and the third bedroom she uses as a dressing room :wacko:

Thats terrible, we pay a mortgage on a two bed house so my babies have to share but its all we can afford at the moment

When I was 21/22 I lost my job and it took me 2 months before I got another. I was living with my then boyfriend now husband who was at university full time getting his masters degree. I claimed housing beneifit for those 2 months. Nice to know the only time in my life I needed help the conservatives would have screwed me over. We wern't living in our home town so DH would have had to drop out of university to move back with his parents. As it was a 12 month lease I think I would have been legally responsible to pay the lease even if I moved out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->