How absorbent do hospital nappies need to be

bumpy_j

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm planning on semi-doing the Disana tie on nappy system. I have x24 Disana tie on nappies, x24 muslin squares, x x24 bamboo terry squares and three wool wraps. These are the tie on nappies: https://www.nappyeverafter.co.uk/disana-organic-cotton-knitted-tie-on-nappies-802-p.asp

My plan is to use the Jo fold with my muslins (or simply fold into a slim rectangle) and place this underneath the tie-on nappy for the early days, and then move on to bamboo terry squares (origami fold) with the tie-on nappies over the top. I thought the tie-on system would make a decent alternative to fasteners as it's an extra layer of absorption.

I'm just wondering what to bring to the hospital. Do newborns really need absorption for the first couple of days? I know you'll need to change their nappy every couple of hours, but I'm thinking that just the tie-on nappies without the stuffing, with wool wraps will do, with disposable liners for the meconium. I'll only have a small wet bag with me, and am already a little scared of air drying my wool wraps on the ward between changes.

Research says a baby who is zero years old should have the bladder capacity of about 2oz. Perhaps take some water and do a test?

A muslin was plenty absorbent enough for our daughter when she was born.

Neither of mine pee'd at any great volume. In fact, I had to lay toilet paper in Sophies (disposable) nappies because neither I nor the midwives could tell if she was even peeing at all. My milk was in just before 48 hours went by so the volume of urine went up a little after that.

I'm not familiar with the sort of nappy you are gonna use but I would imagine any light system would be absolutely fine.

How did you get on with disana tie ons?

Hardly any their pees are so small! We used newborn fitteds and she only barely wet them. I didn't even use a cover.

How did you get on with disana tie ons?

I love the style of the nappy, it's so comfy looking and easy to adjust to size. It will make a great AIO butttt there was basically no absorption when I used them without an insert, so wouldn't be a practical choice for the hospital. Possibly need more pre-washing though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->