How long to plan a wedding is ideal?

Girly123

Reaction score
Well thoughts please?

My best friend got married last weekend and she planned her wedding from the day she got married and was always talking about it for 18 months. That seems like a long time for me to plan a wedding.

I am a very organised person and I wouldn't want to rush it and be stressed, I want to enjoy it but surely 6 months is more than enough time? Or am I being silly?

The longest things I can see are the venue availability when you decide somewhere and the wedding dress and having fittings etc. eberything else is just decisions and book and pay pretty much??

Maybe I am missing something though lol.

I think we will get engaged about November this year and then be looking at a July/August wedding, so 8/9 months to plan. Maybe having an April or May wedding though in which we would have 6/7 months xx

I guess it depends what else you've got going on in your life and how much time you can dedicate to the planning. Also how much, if anything, you plan to DIY.
Most people "plan" for longer periods of time in order to make the costs more bareable. If money isn't an issue and assuming you can get the venue then you absolutely can plan in 6 months or less. If you're willing to sacrifice certain things (venue choice, made to order dresses etc) then you can get married even quicker...my brother got married in 6 weeks!!!
It's impossible to answer your question ecause everyone is different depending on their individual circumstances. I don't think 18months is "too long" but the thought of planning a wedding in under 6 months would scare the life out of me :lol:

It really depends on how much money you have - we couldn't outlay the cost of our wedding in 6 months, they're quite expensive :haha:

Our venue only had one Saturday left in July, August and September 2014 when we booked last month. So it also depends on how flexible you are!

Dress wise - you usually need to order 6 months beforehand, and you need to find it first!

I guess like anything weddings take as much time to plan as you want to spend on them.

As much time as you want to spend. As much money that you have to spend! I planned my Mothers wedding in 6 weeks and she had her dress off the rack. If you don't want an off the rack dress you need atleast 6 months. Have you discussed getting engaged or are you just hoping for a proposal? It is exciting xx

We have discussed it and he said he wants to marry next year and will propose when he is home from Afghan xx

Ill have had 15 months planning time once the wedding arrives and thats been about right for us! It has gave me the options to sit back when getting stressed and time to think about what i want! I have to say though before Darcey came along i done wedding stuff pretty much everyday!!

My cousin was planning on getting married and then her husband was given 6 weeks to live, she planned and done everything in 2 weeks!

The amount of time is completely up to you :)

ive done it in 6 months. And tbh I only really started doing things February time so around 4 months (we get married in 3 weeks). Its just enough time for us because most things are last minute anyway apart from the venue its just deciding what you want. I did leave my dress late and it was 'off the rack' it didn't bother me at all though and I got 10 percent of and it fitted perfectly so it would have irritated me to pay and extra 10 percent for exactly the same thing! but yes do-able deffinatly x

Most couples I know (including me) were engaged 12-18 months before the wedding day. In the Boston area, venues and vendors are booked out years so if you have a particular venue or date preference, you might have to push your day out!

We booked our wedding with four months go go and I don't think it was long enough really, it's spreading the cost that's been the issue. We've now got three months to go and so much to sort still.

Well if you know that you are going to get married next year why not start booking and planning now? Instead of leaving it until you get engaged if both of you have a mutual agreement and it will help with your OH being away.

I could have planned it in a week but having the money is a different matter.

I am looking already and suggesting ideas to my OH when we talk so I guess in a sense we have started. It is just a case of I haven't actually contacted anyone such as venues to actually ask details. We talked today and I said we would need to get a guest list together to confirm numbers before anything else really and he agreed. I know he doesn't really want to properly start planning until he has asked.

I like to think it could be this summer he asks but I have a feeling I will be waiting until end of October or into November.

If we have a summer wedding then it would give us 9 months to plan.

I would need to confirm a few things with the venue but we have one in mind :) xXx

To be honest, me and my OH thought like that, and then we got engaged haha, the main reason we originally have it next year was because the date is important and it was too soon to have it this year as our families are all coming from somewhere else so we needed to give them plenty of notice. I'm so glad I have over a year to plan the wedding as I'm only a month in and it's all pretty daunting how much you actually need to do haha. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->