how long were you engaged?

weewdy

Reaction score
Before you got married. I have been with my partner 10 years and engaged for 4 years with no plans to get married. My initial plan was to stay engaged, as a sign of our commitment but not actually go through with the wedding as neither of us are religious or like to be the centre of attention. We dont speak to his side of the family and that is another reason. But yesterday a neighbour said 'oh you cant have your daughter going to school having a different surname to yours, you need to get married' now it has me thinking, will people look at use different because we are not married.

We met in June 2001
Started dating in July 2001
Got engaged in October 2001
Moved in together in December 2002
Got married in April 2005
Had baby 1 in September 2005
Had baby 2 in August 2007
Had baby 3 in September 2009
and having baby 3 this month July 2013

We had been together for 5.5 years when we got engaged and then were engaged for 9 months before getting married x

Me and hubby were engaged for 3 years. We had a lovely registry wedding With our nearest and dearest

We were together for 5 years when we got engaged and married 10 months later, we've been together 8 years in total.

I didn't want a short engagement, I wanted to get engaged when we were serious about getting married and were able to do so.

I am a traditionalist and I do feel like people take us more seriously for being married (whether they do or not is another thing but I feel that way!) we were only 23 when we married and had our first child so I think some of my "public insecurity" comes from that. But I love being married for lots of reasons, the public image is one minor detail.

11 months

We had been together 4 years and lived together about 2 years. We talked about marriage but I didn't want to get engaged until we were in a position to set the date right away. Everyone's different though and there's no right or wrong.

Met April 27th, 2005
Became a couple May 5th, 2005
Got engaged August 10th, 2006
Moved in together August 15th, 2006
Started TTC July 23rd, 2008
Married November 8th, 2008 (Day after my 22nd)
Expecting Little Man October 12th, 2013

Many children go to school with a different name to one of their parents and there is nothing wrong with it. Twenty years ago it would have been a different story but not any more.

Just because you aren't religious, doesn't mean you can't have that perfect, special day. I am not religious and although I would have loved a church wedding (it looks so picturesque), I was not willing to compromise what I believe in so we were married in a register office. My sister is getting married in two weeks at her favourite football team's stadium and my cousin is getting married in a museum next year. You don't have to have a huge wedding, we only invited our parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins with a few close friends to the service and reception and others were invited to the 'party' on the evening. It was small, simple and perfect.

First got together December 19th, 2008.
He proposed May 28th, 2009.
LO was born November 16th, 2010.
We married June 10th, 2011.

So a little over 2 years. We've been married a little over 2 years and together for 5 in December. :flower:

Together for 8 years before getting engaged. Engaged on January 1st 2008 and got married Sept 19th 2008. So engaged for 9 months.

By the time we get married we will have been engaged 15 months and together 4 years. I don't think people will look at you differently for not being married as I think it's quite common to have children before you're married, not want to get married, not have taken the man's surname etc. I have a different surname as my son as he has his dad's surname and we split but nobody questions it xx

We were engaged for a year and a half, enough time to plan and pay for a wedding. My little boy will be going to school with a different surname to me though as I kept my name.

We were engaged 4 months before we got married, i was pregnant and had a huge complex about our son being born and having a different sir name to me !

Met oh 17.7.2008
Got together 23.08.2008
Had DD 21.2.2010
Moved in together 30.3.2011
Had DS 26.11.2011
Got engaged 1.1.2012

Still engaged but plan on getting married october next year :)

I will have different last name when my daughter starts school but who cares whats it got to do with anyone. There are people out there that have kids and never get married

Knew each other from school
Started meeting up again aug 2009
started going out oct 2009
Moved in together Dec 2009-I stayed for Christmas and never went home!
Got engaged Oct 2010
Got married may 2011
Started ttc on our wedding night :)
Pregnant june 2011
LO born Feb 2012

xxx

Together 2 years before getting engaged and then engaged for 4 months. We've been married nearly 5 years.

Been together almost 6 years and was engaged practically straight away, we're getting married December x

We got together in May 2010, engaged in November 2012 and we're planning on marrying in May 2016.

I don't think anyone really looks upon people in a different light for being unmarried anymore, since it's so common for people not to marry these days.

We didn't officially get engaged but we decided to get married dec 2011 and got married in may 2012 so about 5 months x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->