How soon after a wedding do you think thank you cards should be sent?

Pearls18

Reaction score
I'm just interested to know really, how soon after a wedding do you think is polite for thank you cards to be sent out? If you think they are needed at all of course.

In recent experience, it seems that not everybody bothers. The last one I received was after 4 months, but I also have a very organised friend who sent hers in 2 days. If I think back to all the weddings I've been to in the last 3 years or so, I would say under half have sent thank you's.

Within a month - 6 weeks, really. Otherwise i'd assume they had been reminded rather than doing it off their own back...

About a month after but no later than 2 months.

I didn't send any... this was only because I didn't know I was meant to. My grandmother told me a month later and I felt it was too late. If I'd of known to send them I think I would of sent them a week or two after the wedding :)

I think about a month after. Gives you some time to get sorted after honeymoon but still close enough to the event to be relevant.

I'll be sending them ASAP (and not as thank yous for gifts as we haven't asked for any, but simply for attending and making the day special) and then sending Rory-made Christmas cards a few weeks after that, which I've never done before but think I should make an extra effort this year especially as people are making a big effort to attend our wedding!

In recent experience, it seems that not everybody bothers. The last one I received was after 4 months, but I also have a very organised friend who sent hers in 2 days. If I think back to all the weddings I've been to in the last 3 years or so, I would say under half have sent thank you's.

Wow really! I personally think thats such bad etiquette (half not sending one)
When OH and I attended a wedding its easily a few hundred that we pay out (not complaing at all we arent forced to attend) I think the least a couple could do is send a card to thank us.

Thanks for people's input, I agree with most of you in that I did mine within a month of getting married and that was with a 3 month old, Christmas and husband away, although we didn't get to go on honeymoon (still waiting!) so didn't have to wait until after that. We went to 2 weddings one in August and one beginning of last month which is still quite soon. But the one in August was my best friend's and she is usually so on the ball with these things, very creative, I was just very surprised and tbh I'm a little upset she hasn't acknowledged what I got her, I don't expect a big hurrah I'm surethere's a reason she hasn't done them that's not why I give a present of course but along with the money she asked for I got something personal made for her and Im just a little sad she hasn't mentioned it not even in passing, just wondering what people thought was normal. The last wedding we went to they took 4 months to send thank yous out, I think it's because I am always paranoid my present didn't get to them when you have to leave them on a table it's just nice to know everything was received ok, and I just couldn't imagine not doing thank you cards myself I was stressing about getting mine out everyday till they were sent. Maybe I'm being silly.

I sent money (that's what they asked for) to a friend who got married in Aug £30, not heard a thing, it's not nice because you think, did she get it? Maybe someone picked it up or it got lost and she is thinking I didn't bother.

She did seem to just send Facebook messages to other people to say thank you which I actually think is still rude.

My friend sent hers after her ten day honeymoon. x

my friend got married the 1st week in June and we got a thank you card through the door at the weekend. I think thats leaving it too late.

Wow really! I personally think thats such bad etiquette (half not sending one)
When OH and I attended a wedding its easily a few hundred that we pay out (not complaing at all we arent forced to attend) I think the least a couple could do is send a card to thank us.

I agree!

I would write and thank people for attending, regardless of whether they bought a gift or not.

I'm still waiting for one from the last wedding I went to... December 2011
hah

I was a bit put out tbh, as we not only gave them money, but also put money in as a group ... all in I think we gave them around 100 quid! I think the attitude towards us was "they don't need a card as they are our mates" sort of thing, because i know for a fact they sent them out to all the extended family and friends, but we ain't so close that I don't appreciate a thank you !! haha

We didn't send any
To be honest, I had absolutely no clue you were supposed to. I'm Dutch, and at least in my family, no-one has ever sent thank you cards. Not for birthdays, not for weddings. I got married in the UK (husband is British), yet he never brought it up either. He does think we should do them once we've thrown a birthday party for our daughter though... all a learning experience for me.

We didn't send any
To be honest, I had absolutely no clue you were supposed to. I'm Dutch, and at least in my family, no-one has ever sent thank you cards. Not for birthdays, not for weddings. I got married in the UK (husband is British), yet he never brought it up either. He does think we should do them once we've thrown a birthday party for our daughter though... all a learning experience for me.

I had no clue I was supposed to either. The only other wedding I'd been to other than my own was my aunties wedding when I was 8 years old.

I bet people think me and OH are well ignorant!

We didn't send any

I had no clue I was supposed to either. The only other wedding I'd been to other than my own was my aunties wedding when I was 8 years old.

I bet people think me and OH are well ignorant!

Aww no I'm sure not hun! It seems perhaps it isn't as common as I thought to do them, but there's no excuses for my friends as they came to my wedding first and would have had a card so they should know about thank you cards lol ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->