HSG test - when to do it?

wantbump

Reaction score
Hi,

So my doc suggested an HSG test for me to see if my tubes are open. Does anyone know if there is a specific time in the cycle that it should be done? I am CD9 today and about to ovulate but I want to do the test as soon as possible.

I believe I was told to do mine around then. My OB had me call when AF started and scheduled it for cd6. I was worried that there would still be some leakage so I apologized beforehand lol

Yea I did some research and it probably is safe to do it after AF. I will try to call the lab tomorrow to see when they can fit me in. I don't want to wait another cycle! Thanks a lot MnG! Look like you did it recently. Was it painful?

Np. I did have some pain when she was doing the procedure. At one point it felt like really, really bad AF cramps. ( we had a little hiccup during it and I nearly screamed lol). I also had some residual spotting for 2 days post. Make sure to bring a pad with you, all the left over dye comes out... oh and take 2 Tylenol about an hour prior. :)

My doc forgot to tell me but thankfully I called in time. They need you to be thinned out so she said by CD 10. If you have questions about test I can let you know what happened with me! :) I really suggest the test!

Thank you so much MnG and babyvaughan!

I am just so sad right now. I am on cycle day 10 and I got the the test from my doc today, so I called the center and she fixed an appointment for me today in an hour because they only do the test from CD5 to CD10. Then she asked me if I had unprotected sex after the start of this cycle. And I said yes, once. Now she says they can't do the procedure because they don't want to be liable in case I was to conceive from sex on CD7 and they did something for that to not happen. I don't even have a positive OPK yet I know I am not going to be pregnant from bding that day. I have been trying for so long nothing happened yet. I wanted to do the test as soon as possible. So now I have to wait for next cycle :( Only if I didn't tell them we had unprotected sex! I feel like I just got delayed another month.

Sorry for the rant!

Thank you so much MnG and babyvaughan!

I am just so sad right now. I am on cycle day 10 and I got the the test from my doc today, so I called the center and she fixed an appointment for me today in an hour because they only do the test from CD5 to CD10. Then she asked me if I had unprotected sex after the start of this cycle. And I said yes, once. Now she says they can't do the procedure because they don't want to be liable in case I was to conceive from sex on CD7 and they did something for that to not happen. I don't even have a positive OPK yet I know I am not going to be pregnant from bding that day. I have been trying for so long nothing happened yet. I wanted to do the test as soon as possible. So now I have to wait for next cycle :( Only if I didn't tell them we had unprotected sex! I feel like I just got delayed another month.

Sorry for the rant!

BOO! That sucks. But maybe you did get pregnant! Wouldn't that be an awesome surprise! :)

Haha that would! Thanks Crystal you just made me smile :hugs:

They want me to come between cd6 to cd10 for HSG. I scheduled it for cd10. Normally my fertile period starts from cd11/cd12. They told no sex three days before procedure and no on the day of. I am sure they meant unprotected sex and just forgot to specify. :)

Yes I am sure they meant that :) I was given the test on CD9 so it was already late for me and dtd CD7 so there was no way :p They told me to go between CD5 and CD10 I have to go as early as possible cause I O on cd12 yikes! So when are you going for the test? Mine will probably be around the 25th July :) I am eagerly waiting for AF to schedule the test!! Let me know how it goes good luck!

Thank you and good luck to you too. I hope you don't have to go for it and get a BFP this cycle. I am scheduled for 18th. It will be cd10 and I normally ovulate on cd14/15.

Mine had to be done between CD 5-10. No sex for three days before but after you can go at it. Mine was uncomfortable but not painful. It was probably uncomfortable because one if my tubes was blocked from a previous ectopic scar tissue. I was able to conceive that month but ended in ectopic in the same tube. They say the hsg can have a cleansing effect and many couples get pregnant within three months of having one.

Now I have high expectation from this cycle. :) Hope we get to BD at right days.

Do you have any idea what kind of solution/dye they used ? I read somewhere there are two types, one is like water based and other one oil based. Oil based has properties like lube and increases chances of conceiving. Is this info correct ?

The previous posters are correct about the days. I Had an sis done, which is the same thing as an hsg but with saline instead of iodine. It was extremely painful and they had to do the sis twice because my uterus wouldn't expand. When they say no sex they really mean no sex at all....not even the unprotected kind. Depending on your experience you might not want to do any baby making for a few days after either.

Speaking from experience, my advice would be to schedule the hsg as early in your cycle the better. They want as little tissue as possible in there. I would also suggest no sex for the fe days before and make sure to take some Tylenol before you go.

I have no idea on that. No one ever told me much about the dye except that they can see it under an xray...and I never even thought to ask. I'm not so sure the dye helps that though. My tech told me it helps clear out any debris that may be in your tubes so the egg has a clear journey.

One more question, did it make you ovulate later than normal and did you take any antibiotics after the procedure ?

Just saw your question. There are two types of dye. The first (and most widely used) is an iodine contrast that they push up. The other is not really a dye but standard saline that would be used like in an iv.

Many women do report conceiving the cycle after the hsg. I don't think it has scientifically been proven but I know of 4 women on this website that recently had hsg and a few weeks later found out they were pregnant. Depending on if your tube is blocked or not can impact whether ovulation is delayed. I never experience it but I know people who have.

Jrepp and mod19 thank you so much for all the info! I'll go for an HSG around the 25th july if i don't get BFP this month. I dont have a lot of hope for a BFP this cycle but after the HSG my hope will be so high.

I dont have a clue of when i ovulated that month. Usually im right there ovulating on cd 19 but that month i was really sick three out if the four weeks (kidney infection) and only bd 3 times the whoke month...none around the 19 so who knows.

Honestly I didn't have much hope the month of it either. I took a test just kind of as a routine each month. Nothing showed up right away so I figured it was just another negative. Went to the bathroom three hours later and there it was. Took another the next morning to verify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->