I plan to breast feed but do I need to pack formula and bottles in hospital bag?

I won't be bringing any formula to the hospital with me. The hospital can provide if I really have that much trouble, but I think I'll be fine.

I haven't bought any formula. However a couple companies have sent me free samples, so I've got them put away in a closet (out of sight) just in case, but I think I'm going to ask my grandma if I can take it to her house so that it's not so easily accessible. From what I hear, a lot of women reach a point where they almost give in to formula feeding in those first few weeks of breastfeeding because they run into difficulty in one form or another. I don't want an easy way out.

They did and they were brilliant, i got loads of help it just wasnt working which was pants :(
One midwife was a bitch and made me cry because i had to ask for milk and she told me she'd give me that one but then i had to bring my own! (theres always one i suppose!)
Thats the reason i'm taking my own this time
Xx

Our hospital supply the formula so I wouldnt worry also -bottles only stay sterilized for 24 hours ssoit prob wouldnt be worth taking them anyway :)

I was given formula at the hospital, I had every intention of breast feeding and I really didn't want to give formula, but George can't latch at all despite help from so many people. I hand expressed colostrum on the first day but then it started to dry up as I was so exhausted, and the paediatrician said he was getting dehydrated and he needed some formula. We cup fed him the formula until I decided to bottle feed him expressed milk. We brought our own formula in the next day as I stayed in a while.

My anti natal class last time said dont bring any as the temptation will be there how ever my Lo wouldnt latch then a midwife told me 2 hours after her blood sugars would drop if she didnt have formula(rubbish she was trying to get me on 6 hr discharge) and they gave me the formula but i hand expressed in between and a lactation consultant got her on 4 days later at home. So even though they dont supply they do in special circumstances

Do I need to pack them incase I can't breast feed?

i think its a very good idea to carry them. i had a c section and for 2 days i could breastfeed coz milk wasnt comimng out. OH had to rush to buy formula and buy bottles as well as i had not bought. as i intended to breatfeed

Whether or not she has problems with nursing, I don't see why she needs to bring in formula/bottles. It is more likely that breastfeeding will take some work and people reach for formula because it's there, than it is likely of a true emergency/impossibility of nursing. If a baby is not getting anything, even colostrum, then a hospital can assist with donor milk or formula.

Breastfeeding is a skill for both mother and baby - babies aren't born knowing how to drink necessarily (even the great nursers). Having a sucking reflex does not mean they know how to nurse. You have to teach them. You have to teach them how to sleep, how to nurse, etc. those basic skills, from day 1.

It's like saying you don't want an epidural but having the anesthesiologist standing beside your bed. It's pretty tempting when things are hard (hard but not impossible).

My 1st had serious problems with his broken collarbone and I did formula feed him after a few weeks. But there's no need to pre-emptively assume failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->