Ideas for wind relief without having to take any medication

Mrs Doddy

1 pink 1 blue
Reaction score
I would prefer not to give jess any medicational things yet what can I help het with trapped wind ?

If shes BFing I've head that if you drink fennel/aniseed tea it can really really help

When you say medication, I'm guessing you mean thiings like Infacol and Dentinox?

What about natural products? Even if you aren't BF'ing, you can give them a small amount of fennel tea (if they will take it!). Gripe water is natural products (at least, as far as I know!).

Baby massage can help wonderfully with wind. Your HV should be able to advise you of classes in your area. Or you can get books/DVDs about it too. One movement which I found helped my LO was to lay her back in my left arm (I'm right-handed), and then put my 3 middle fingers just to the left of her belly button. Put very gentle pressure on, then trace a line up and over her belly button, and back down the other side. I thought of it as a sort of "rising sun, setting sun" movement. It certainly helped her.

One thing I found which helped bring up my LO's wind was to sit her up (obv supporting her head until she could) and then *very* gently twisting her torso side-to-side. I found this much more effective than back patting or rubbing.

If you are bottle feeding, then Dr Browns or TT CTN Anti-colic plus bottles (the ones with the spout in the middle) can be very good at preventing trapped wind in the first place.

i used to put my arm at a rightangle across my tummy and lay my DD on it, bubing her back-hope this makes sense?! i also use this technique at work (nursery baby room) and it usually works like a treat x

I second infant massage, it's helped Kaiden tons. We also cycled his legs a lot. When it was really bad we bought a kid size heating pack (it was cherry pits inside) that you microwaved and put it on his belly. He also really liked it if he was lying on dads tummy with the hot pack in between. All this got us through Kaiden's gassy first few weeks. Gripe water never worked for us and I did not want to use meds.

Now when I know he is having trouble pooping I use massage or cycle his legs. Oh, and position changes helps, a lot of the time when I put him on my shoulder like a sac of potatoes it helps his pass gas (and I swear it's his favorite way to poop in a clean diaper right away :)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->