If your mom and sister had fast labor...

UnsureMom

Expecting our first!
Reaction score
I was just curious.

My mom (with her first baby) was only in labor for 1 1/2 hours. Start to finish. Once her contractions were 5 minutes apart, she delivered in 30 minutes.

My sister (with her first baby) was only in labor for 4 hours. Start to finish.
Once her contractions were 5 minutes apart, she delivered in an hour.

HERE is my question..
My doctor told me not to even call her until my contractions are 5 minutes a part. Also, I live 20 minutes from the hospital if traffic is favorable. If it's during rush hour, I'm an hour away!!!

What is the likelihood of me having a labor this quick?
And do you think, given all that information, I should really wait until my contractions are just 5 minutes apart?

Has anyone had a mom and/or sister have labors like this, and then they had a long labor?

Just curious! I have a doctor's appointment Tuesday, and will talk to her then. BUT just in case anything develops sooner. And also just curious about others experiences. :)

Thanks!!! :)

My mother went into labor with me and went to the hospital right away, I was born 45 min later. I labored for over 24 hrs with my son before he was delivered by emergency c-section. You never know if you will fall into your families foot steps. I would say if you know someone that lives close to the hospital I'd see if you could go there to labor so your not so far away. Good luck and congrats.

Yes I think you are more likely to have a quick labor.....my family all has quick labor to. My advice would be as soon as you think you are in labor head towards the hospital....if contractions aren't 5 mins apart you can always have lunch/dinner go see a movie or do something else that is really close to the hospital. That way you don't risk having your baby in the car during rush hour traffic. You could always check in at the hospital and explain to them that your family all has quick labors....if they have room they may just let you stay.

I would be interested to know as well, because most females in my family had fairly fast labors. My identical twin sister had a fast one on her first baby (which I heard was rare) and her second so maybe I should be talk to my doctor too! Luckily I am only 10 minutes away from the hospital though.

I'm worried about that too at 38 weeks my mom had a doctor appointment & the doctor told her she'd be another week at least. By the time she got home her water broke, they went to the hospital & an hour later I was born.

Same thing happened with my younger brother he was born at 40 weeks but labor was only 45 minutes.

She didn't even have time for an epidural either time.

I'm hoping I'm quick but not that quick, wouldn't want to end up having LO in the car

I'm worried about that too at 38 weeks my mom had a doctor appointment & the doctor told her she'd be another week at least. By the time she got home her water broke, they went to the hospital & an hour later I was born.

Same thing happened with my younger brother he was born at 40 weeks but labor was only 45 minutes.

She didn't even have time for an epidural either time.

I'm hoping I'm quick but not that quick, wouldn't want to end up having LO in the car

Oh my word! Me too! I'm nervous I won't get there in time or won't be able to get an epidural!!

My mum had fast labours with me and my brothers, her fastest was 11 mins, I was in labour for over 31 hours with my son, so unfortunately I didn't inherit her super-uterus :(
Hopefully i will have a much quicker labout this time!

my mum and sister had very much the same length labours as yours but with my first one it was 10 hours then it ended in c section (breech and got stuck) so my labour was alot longer than thiers x

Oh, I really hope this is not the case and there is no link. I come from a big family and my mum had to be induced every time. But then again, we already have differences in that she suffered MS four months straight and I did not. I therefore not only hope but don't really think I will necessarily follow.

My mum's labours were something like 7,6,4 and 3 hours. The first and last were inductions (last for pre-eclampsia). My sister's first was about 24 hours, her next two have been shorter but not sure how long. With her second she had days of early labour. I was 35 hours with my son.

Oh I sure hope so lol tho I don't have a sister my mum and her sister were fast my mum was 4 hrs with my brother who was 10lbs 9oz even my gran she was 30 mins and can't tell u what a contraction feels like she had my mum in her mothers house didn't no she was in labour lol keep ur fingers crossed 4 me xx

my mother had a 22 hour labour with me, and I had a 12 hr labour with my son, so for me there's no link! It's not genetic, unless you're maybe built the same as your mother I guess? I'm not like my mother looks/height wise, i'm much more like my dad. I don't know if that has anything to do with it!

I hope there ends up being a link for me. My mum took 4 hours with me and 2 hours with my younger sister. My sister took 5 hours. *fingers crossed*

I'd like a semi-quick labor, but not too quick that I can't make it to the hospital! Hahah. I'm just nervous with the whole "call at 5 minutes" thing when my family seems to give birth shortly after they get to 5 minutes!

We're all *ahem* wider hipped women. "Child bearing" hips I've been told. haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->