• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

i'll never understand this (drug content)

At several points I would have considered myself as a heavy user, now I'd probably be moderate? Basing that on the fact that I smoke most days...
In terms of the zero deaths thing, I'll get back to you after work!

At several points I would have considered myself as a heavy user, now I'd probably be moderate? Basing that on the fact that I smoke most days...

not sure if this will work from my phone but here are a few links
https://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20030918/marijuana-smoking-doesnt-kill
Sidney points to two large studies. The first is from (where else?) California. A large HMO looked at 65,177 men and women age 15-49. Over 10 years, marijuana users died no sooner than nonusers.

The second study looked at 45,450 Swedish army conscripts. They were 18-20 years old when asked about marijuana use. Fifteen years later, the marijuana users were just as likely to remain alive as nonusers.

And since marijuana smoking can't kill outright -- there's no such thing as a fatal marijuana overdose -- short-term use isn't deadly. Long-term use can't be good for you. But Sidney notes that most marijuana smokers don't become long-term users.

One worry about marijuana smoke is that it is inhaled, and held, deep in the lungs. But the typical user smokes only one marijuana cigarette -- or less -- a day. Tobacco users often smoke 20 or more cigarettes daily. Moreover, tobacco contains nicotine, a highly addictive substance. Marijuana, Sidney concludes, is less likely to harm than tobacco.

An exhaustive search of the literature finds no credible reports of deaths induced by marijuana. The US Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) records instances of drug mentions in medical examiners' reports, and though marijuana is mentioned, it is usually in combination with alcohol or other drugs. Marijuana alone has not been shown to cause an overdose death.

Read more: https://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_deaths_are_due_to_marijuana#ixzz1WDlGTp6M

Alcohol is one of the most toxic drugs, and using just 10 times what one would use to get the desired effect can lead to death. Marijuana is one of – if not the – least toxic drugs, requiring thousands of times the dose one would use to get the desired effect to lead to death. This “thousands of times” is actually theoretical, since there has never been a recorded case of marijuana overdose. Source: The American Scientist (Magazine of Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society). Gable, Robert. May-June 006.
https://www.americanscientist.org/issues/num2/the-toxicity-of-recreational-drugs/1

ANNUAL AMERICAN DEATHS CAUSED BY DRUGS
TOBACCO …………………… 400,000
ALCOHOL …………………… 100,000
ALL LEGAL DRUGS ………….20,000
ALL ILLEGAL DRUGS ……….15,000
CAFFEINE …………………….2,000
ASPIRIN ………………………500
MARIJUANA …………………. 0
—————————————-

Neither the continuing nor the intermittent marijuana smokers exhibited any significantly different rates of decline in lung function as compared with those individuals who never smoked marijuana.” The study concluded: “No differences were noted between even quite heavy marijuana smoking and non-smoking of marijuana.”
Source: United States government, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Bureau of Mortality Statistics

I did say "smoking' it cannot be harmless :) Marijuana has been the focus of much controversy among experts. And admittedly, much is unknown regarding this drug. For one thing, marijuana is extremely complex; a marijuana cigarette contains over 400 chemical compounds in its smoke. It took doctors over 60 years to realize cigarette smoke causes cancer. It may likewise take decades before anyone knows for sure just what marijuana’s 400 compounds do to the human body.

"...there are 483 different identifiable chemical constituents known to exist in cannabis. The most distinctive and specific class of compounds are the cannabinoids (66 known), that are only known to exist in the cannabis plant.

Other constituents of the cannabis plant are: nitrogenous compounds (27 known), amino acids (18), proteins (3), glycoproteins (6), enzymes (2), sugars and related compounds (34), hydrocarbons (50), simple alcohols (7), aldehydes (13), ketones (13), simple acids (21), fatty acids (22), simple esters (12), lactones (1), steroids (11), terpenes (120), non-cannabinoid phenols (25), flavonoids (21), vitamins (1) [Vitamin A], pigments (2), and elements (9).

compared to 4000+ in cigarette tobacco, 50 of which are carginogenics. the 'chemical compounds' in marijuana are all naturally occuring, unlike tobacco. there are NO know carginogenics in marijuana.

Funny that the only people who seem to be getting angry are the weed smokers here which is no surprise. My ex whole family were smokers and they smoke in front of their kids all day , in fact that's all they did was smoke bongs all day. One of the kids who was 3 at the time put the bong to her mouth and i told her mother and all she did was say leave it alone, but did it make her think oh i should not do this in front of her anymore?? Nope the next day same thing. The grandmother had the 9 month old baby on her lap and was smoking a bong. Oh and they would get all angry cos i didn't bring my child into the lounge where they were smoking ha! Oh and my ex's mum gave him a bong when he was 11!
So yes i do have a problem with parents smoking around their kids (and i have done cannabis before so don't think im someone who has no experience in drugs) i think its irresponsible and the truth is they can't care for their kids health otherwise they would go outside and do it or have a special room where the kids cannot get to.
If you smoke weed around your children then they are inhaling the fumes which can cause a number of bad things and the parent/parents can't seem to care much about their kids health. BUT if you have kids and you smoke but you DON'T smoke around them , then obviously you are a good parent because you aren't exposing them to that and they don't know mummy and daddy smoke so they won't think oh well if mummy and daddy do it then i can too when they get older.

not sure if this will work from my phone but here are a few links
https://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20030918/marijuana-smoking-doesnt-kill
Sidney points to two large studies. The first is from (where else?) California. A large HMO looked at 65,177 men and women age 15-49. Over 10 years, marijuana users died no sooner than nonusers.

The second study looked at 45,450 Swedish army conscripts. They were 18-20 years old when asked about marijuana use. Fifteen years later, the marijuana users were just as likely to remain alive as nonusers.

And since marijuana smoking can't kill outright -- there's no such thing as a fatal marijuana overdose -- short-term use isn't deadly. Long-term use can't be good for you. But Sidney notes that most marijuana smokers don't become long-term users.

One worry about marijuana smoke is that it is inhaled, and held, deep in the lungs. But the typical user smokes only one marijuana cigarette -- or less -- a day. Tobacco users often smoke 20 or more cigarettes daily. Moreover, tobacco contains nicotine, a highly addictive substance. Marijuana, Sidney concludes, is less likely to harm than tobacco.

An exhaustive search of the literature finds no credible reports of deaths induced by marijuana. The US Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) records instances of drug mentions in medical examiners' reports, and though marijuana is mentioned, it is usually in combination with alcohol or other drugs. Marijuana alone has not been shown to cause an overdose death.

Read more: https://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_deaths_are_due_to_marijuana#ixzz1WDlGTp6M

Alcohol is one of the most toxic drugs, and using just 10 times what one would use to get the desired effect can lead to death. Marijuana is one of – if not the – least toxic drugs, requiring thousands of times the dose one would use to get the desired effect to lead to death. This “thousands of times” is actually theoretical, since there has never been a recorded case of marijuana overdose. Source: The American Scientist (Magazine of Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society). Gable, Robert. May-June 006.
https://www.americanscientist.org/issues/num2/the-toxicity-of-recreational-drugs/1

ANNUAL AMERICAN DEATHS CAUSED BY DRUGS
TOBACCO …………………… 400,000
ALCOHOL …………………… 100,000
ALL LEGAL DRUGS ………….20,000
ALL ILLEGAL DRUGS ……….15,000
CAFFEINE …………………….2,000
ASPIRIN ………………………500
MARIJUANA …………………. 0
—————————————-

Neither the continuing nor the intermittent marijuana smokers exhibited any significantly different rates of decline in lung function as compared with those individuals who never smoked marijuana.” The study concluded: “No differences were noted between even quite heavy marijuana smoking and non-smoking of marijuana.”
Source: United States government, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Bureau of Mortality Statistics

Well actually the source for some of this info is is https://www.dope-seeds.com :shrug: That hardly sounds like a unbiased source.

Info from that source states 'Marijuana does not cause serious health problems like those caused by tobacco or alcohol (e.g., strong addiction, cancer, heart problems, birth defects, emphysema, liver damage, etc.). Death from a marijuana overdose is impossible. In all of world history, there has never been a single human death attributed to a health problem caused by marijuana.'

Im sorry but maybe no one has died from a dope overdose (that we know of) but to say there has never been a death from dope use (cancers, heart problems, suicide, accidents etc) would be quite hard to detect but im sure its happened. And studies show it does effect the brain, fertility, the heart etc - id believe the studies done by medical professionals than take the word of a pro cannabis site.

I did say "smoking' it cannot be harmless :) Marijuana has been the focus of much controversy among experts. And admittedly, much is unknown regarding this drug. For one thing, marijuana is extremely complex; a marijuana cigarette contains over 400 chemical compounds in its smoke. It took doctors over 60 years to realize cigarette smoke causes cancer. It may likewise take decades before anyone knows for sure just what marijuana’s 400 compounds do to the human body.

"...there are 483 different identifiable chemical constituents known to exist in cannabis. The most distinctive and specific class of compounds are the cannabinoids (66 known), that are only known to exist in the cannabis plant.

Other constituents of the cannabis plant are: nitrogenous compounds (27 known), amino acids (18), proteins (3), glycoproteins (6), enzymes (2), sugars and related compounds (34), hydrocarbons (50), simple alcohols (7), aldehydes (13), ketones (13), simple acids (21), fatty acids (22), simple esters (12), lactones (1), steroids (11), terpenes (120), non-cannabinoid phenols (25), flavonoids (21), vitamins (1) [Vitamin A], pigments (2), and elements (9).

compared to 4000+ in cigarette tobacco, 50 of which are carginogenics. the 'chemical compounds' in marijuana are all naturally occuring, unlike tobacco. there are NO know carginogenics in marijuana.

Actually this is incorrect

Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke.

Other Information Sources

For additional information on marijuana, please visit www.marijuana-info.org.

Data Sources

* For street terms searchable by drug name, street term, cost and quantities, drug trade, and drug use, visit: https://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/streetterms/default.asp.

** These data are from the Treatment Episode Data Set (TEDS) Highlights – 2007: These data are from the Treatment Episode Data Set (TEDS) Highlights-2007: National Admissions to Substance Abuse Treatment Services (Office of Applied Studies, DASIS Series: S-45, DHHS Publication No. SMA 09-4360, Rockville, MD, 2008), funded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. The latest data are available at 800-729-6686 or on line at www.samhsa.gov.

*** NSDUH (formerly known as the National Household Survey on Drug Abuse) is an annual survey of Americans aged 12 and older conducted by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Department of Health and Human Services. This survey is available on line at https://www.oas.samhsa.gov/nsduh.htm.

**** These data are from the 2009 Monitoring the Future survey, funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, and conducted annually by the University of Michigan's Institute for Social Research. The survey has tracked 12th-graders' illicit drug use and related attitudes since 1975; in 1991, 8th- and 10th-graders were added to the study.

References

1. Herkenham M, Lynn A, Little MD, et al. Cannabinoid receptor localization in the brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA 87(5):1932–1936, 1990.

2. Pope HG, Gruber AJ, Hudson JI, Huestis MA, Yurgelun-Todd D. Neuropsychological performance in long-term cannabis users. Arch Gen Psychiatry 58(10):909–915, 2001.
3. Budney AJ, Vandrey RG, Hughes JR, Thostenson JD, Bursac Z. Comparison of cannabis and tobacco withdrawal: Severity and contribution to relapse. J Subst Abuse Treat, e-publication ahead of print, March 12, 2008.

4. Moore TH, Zammit S, Lingford-Hughes A, et al. Cannabis use and risk of psychotic or affective mental health outcomes: A systematic review. Lancet 370 (9584):319–328, 2007.

5. Mittleman MA, Lewis RA, Maclure M, Sherwood JB, Muller JE. Triggering myocardial infarction by marijuana. Circulation 103(23):2805–2809, 2001.

6. Tashkin DP. Smoked marijuana as a cause of lung injury. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 63(2):92–100, 2005.

7. Hashibe M, Morgenstern H, Cui Y, et al. Marijuana use and the risk of lung and upper aerodigestive tract cancers: Results of a population-based case-control study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15(10):1829–1834, 2006.

18. Polen MR, Sidney S, Tekawa IS, Sadler M, Friedman GD. Health care use by frequent marijuana smokers who do not smoke tobacco. West J Med 158(6):596–601, 1993.

9. Gruber AJ, Pope HG, Hudson JI, Yurgelun-Todd D. Attributes of long-term heavy cannabis users: A case control study. Psychological Med 33(8):1415–1422, 2003.

Funny that the only people who seem to be getting angry are the weed smokers here which is no surprise..

Who is angry? I'm really enjoying this debate and the fact that for the most part we r discussing it like adults and not getting personal, which is more than can be said for a lot of the other debates on forums! Just vecause people are involved in a discussion and standing up for what they believe doesn't mean that they are angry!
Yet another example of naïveté amd gross generalisations where the use if marijuana is concerned!
As for your ex's family, I think we are all in clear agreement that that is completely disgusting and unacceptable behaviour!

I haven't linked anything at all from that site you linked. My sources were webMD, wikianswers, the American scientist and the us gov. It may be that some of the info I quoted has also been used on that site but this does not mean that I took it from there! Maybe wiki answers aside I don't think any f the other sources I used could be considered as 'pro dope'
This is a little dull for me now as we could sit here for weeks and through links at each other, the beauty of google is that you can pretty much always fond something to bak up any point you wish to make, so it kind of defeats the purpose IMO. No one has said that marijuana doesn't have ANy effect on the brain or body, of course it does, it's about the risk of that compared with the risk of other substances. I believe that smoking some weed is less harmful than drinking some alcohol, so that's my choice. It's not much different than choosing chocolate over a nice sliced apple! My point is that yes, it had some effect, as does EVERYTHING we ingest, but when used responsibly it is absolutely not the horrible life destroying drug that people are led to believe it is! It's not responsible for anywhere
Near the health problems that tobacco or alcohol are, nor does it cost our country anywhere NEAR what alcohol or tobacco do! Showing me links that show that marijuana has a minimal effect on health won't change that! Like I said, everything we ingest has
Some effect on our body, yet we are generally happy to eat processed foods and foods stuffed so full of chemicals that they are almost unrecognisable from their natural derevitaves, so why is this so socially acceptable yet smoking weed isn't? Obesity poses a MUCH larger health risk and cost to treat than weed ever has!

Ps, I've been smoking for more Than 5 years and have a memory like an elephant lol, I remember all kinds of crap that astounds people lol, as for brain function, I'd been smoking for more than 5 years when I did both of my degrees, and in fact got the highest score in my year on my postgrad. I now work in a level 3 job in a banking environment and have no issues dealing with numbers and figures all day! I'm not bragging at all, just pointing out that that statement above clearly doesn't apply to everyone!

I haven't linked anything at all from that site you linked. My sources were webMD, wikianswers, the American scientist and the us gov. It may be that some of the info I quoted has also been used on that site but this does not mean that I took it from there! Maybe wiki answers aside I don't think any f the other sources I used could be considered as 'pro dope'
This is a little dull for me now as we could sit here for weeks and through links at each other, the beauty of google is that you can pretty much always fond something to bak up any point you wish to make, so it kind of defeats the purpose IMO. No one has said that marijuana doesn't have ANy effect on the brain or body, of course it does, it's about the risk of that compared with the risk of other substances. I believe that smoking some weed is less harmful than drinking some alcohol, so that's my choice. It's not much different than choosing chocolate over a nice sliced apple! My point is that yes, it had some effect, as does EVERYTHING we ingest, but when used responsibly it is absolutely not the horrible life destroying drug that people are led to believe it is! It's not responsible for anywhere
Near the health problems that tobacco or alcohol are, nor does it cost our country anywhere NEAR what alcohol or tobacco do! Showing me links that show that marijuana has a minimal effect on health won't change that! Like I said, everything we ingest has
Some effect on our body, yet we are generally happy to eat processed foods and foods stuffed so full of chemicals that they are almost unrecognisable from their natural derevitaves, so why is this so socially acceptable yet smoking weed isn't? Obesity poses a MUCH larger health risk and cost to treat than weed ever has!

Completely understand where u are coming from, the direct link to the page that had info u quoted was https://www.dope-seeds.com/untoldstory/hemp_9.htm

I guess for me it boils down to doing whatever is in my power to protect my health so im around for my child as long as possible. I just feel as tho on this thread and others that many on BnB seem to be pro cannabis and downgrade the harm it can do, both mentally and physically.

Like i said i hate to admit it but during my rebellious teenage years i smoked it everyday for 10 years and i KNOW it affected me during (mainly) and even still now (in certain areas - like moods etc) years after giving up. It does alter your thinking, memory, ability to process info as the studies show, in my experience anyway. It alters the brain. I used to have to try and 'think' thats the only way i can explain it, like it literally numbed my brain, its awful.

The thing is the links i gave you were conducted by medical professionals, government health agencies etc, not random stuff off google, im well aware u can find just about anything on google, im sure i could find you 'proof' the moon is made of cheese!! :haha:

Anyway like i said i just wanted to express my opinion and share some info on the subject, we are all adults here and have to make our own choices. I just hope that none of u who smoke it live to regret it down the track. I watched my Dad die last year of a very agressive throat cancer from smoking (cigarettes) and would hate to see anyone suffer that kind of heartache and suffering from smoking related cancers.:hugs:

you're lucky lol. I used to smoke on a daily basis before i started having babies and i started a nursing degree, and i truely believe i failed because i smoked the stuff. Pathetic really- I shouldve had more control, I would have a smoke when i got home and then go to study etc and nope too late motivation out the window. my mind was always foggy and I couldnt take any thing in for the life of me. I actually stopped smoking it for the 1st couple of months and i was passing everything with top marks i was so on to it, then i started again and went down hill. i can tell you i will not be doing that ever again. Stupid stuff! :dohh: (more so, stupid me for abusing it!)[/QUOTE]
Maybe I am lucky, I don't know, but it's just never really seemed
To effect me or any of my friends in such a dramatic way, maybe I'm less sensitive to it or something, I don't know!

Yeah it's like anything! It's all about moderation and knowing your limits. There will always be people who abuse weed and let it impact their lives, those who use it and it doesn't impact, and those who abstain. It's just that some
People only have experience of the first category, and then use that to make a decision that it's like that for everyone!

Guess tho the longer u smoke at even a moderate level it will catch up with you someday. Thats the message from us long term heavy abusers x

I should add on a positive note that it was never a 'gateway drug' for me. I was always against other drugs, and was just happy with my pipe so for me that aspect didnt ring true :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->