Illegal drugs - worse than legal ones?

I haven't managed to read the whole thread, but I am very much of the opinion that the current way of dealing with things simply doesn't work and a radical change is needed. I am actually for decriminalising (though not legalising) all illegal drugs in order to allow people to have their drugs tested for impurity (often it's not the drug that kills but what it's cut with) and to help to reduce crime. I also think that heroin should be available on prescription as it is often less addictive than methadrone and it would also help to reduce crime.

These are just my opinions

AOB - i think you have missed my point entirely. You said yourself you think alcohol and tobacco should be illegal (which, for the last time, are drugs!!!) but then say the law doesn't need to be changed? The whole issue i have is that the gov seem to be pretending to look after us by making certain drugs illegal, whilst letting us pump our bodies full of toxins from other, legal - but still very much harmful - drugs. Personally I would just quite like the hypocricy to end and for them to pick one side of the fence instead of sitting on it.

It is saddening to see that those people who campaigned to get laws changed are not respected at all by some people. I believe we should all be extremely thankful for what happened in the past, 2010 wouldn't be the same without it.

I dont really get that either. alcohol and tobacco are drugs :shrug: thats fact. people cant choose to 'believe' something is not a drug. they are by definition, substances that affect the functioning of the mind and body, hence are drugs.

it is extremely sad though that for the sake of the money it brings in tht alcohol and tobacco remain legal - i mean what other reason could there be for not making them illegal? its madness!

I do think alcohol and cigs are drugs ............. because they are. But, i don't believe they are as dangerous as drugs. I do think cigs should be illegal, definately. Alcohol, i'm not too sure as i hardly drink so don't really have an opinion on it.

Again, i don't think the law should be changed in relation to the drugs that are illegal now. I would like to see cigs made illegal though.

Dopeyjopey, i agree with you that they need to make their minds up. The reason why cigs aren't illegal is because they make so much money out of them!

your language seems to suggest that you don't think they are drugs as you said "I don't believe they're as dangerous as drugs" But they are drugs. SO um... :shrug:

As for not having an opinion on alcohol as you hardly drink it... you seem to have an opinion on cannabis and you don't seem to take that either.

I would suggest you're softer on alcohol because you do occasionally partake in it and therefore don't consider it as harmful although it is for many other people.

Being pedantic yes alcohol and cigarettes are 'drugs' but to me real drugs are the illegal ones, cannibis, coke, heroin etc, which is why they are illegal. At the end of the day, they are ALL drugs but my personal belief is that cigarettes and alcohol are the lesser evil. My opinion is not wrong, it's just what i think.

Yes i have an opinion on cannibis and it's because i personally believe drugs (the illegal ones's ;) to makes that clear yet again) should be avoided, and so do the government and health professionals.

I have smoked weed many times, i went through a bad patch after being raped and it did me no good. I didn't react very well to weed. I just don't believe people should cosume drugs. And i would have said that before i had taken weed myself. The current drugs that are illegal should stay illegal, alcohol and cigarettes are the lesser evil in my opinion.

You do know that people who shoot heroine make it from legal drugs right? Just curious here, as the "Good,Legal" drugs make the bad ones, very easily...

Im not sure i understand your point here, you can use perfectly legal household items to make a bomb ... doesnt meant that they are a bad component on their own, or even as dangerous as when combined to make the end result.

AOB - i think you have missed my point entirely. You said yourself you think alcohol and tobacco should be illegal (which, for the last time, are drugs!!!) but then say the law doesn't need to be changed? The whole issue i have is that the gov seem to be pretending to look after us by making certain drugs illegal, whilst letting us pump our bodies full of toxins from other, legal - but still very much harmful - drugs. Personally I would just quite like the hypocricy to end and for them to pick one side of the fence instead of sitting on it.

It is saddening to see that those people who campaigned to get laws changed are not respected at all by some people. I believe we should all be extremely thankful for what happened in the past, 2010 wouldn't be the same without it.

I dont really get that either. alcohol and tobacco are drugs :shrug: thats fact. people cant choose to 'believe' something is not a drug. they are by definition, substances that affect the functioning of the mind and body, hence are drugs.

it is extremely sad though that for the sake of the money it brings in tht alcohol and tobacco remain legal - i mean what other reason could there be for not making them illegal? its madness!

I do think alcohol and cigs are drugs ............. because they are. But, i don't believe they are as dangerous as drugs. I do think cigs should be illegal, definately. Alcohol, i'm not too sure as i hardly drink so don't really have an opinion on it.

Again, i don't think the law should be changed in relation to the drugs that are illegal now. I would like to see cigs made illegal though.

Dopeyjopey, i agree with you that they need to make their minds up. The reason why cigs aren't illegal is because they make so much money out of them!

your language seems to suggest that you don't think they are drugs as you said "I don't believe they're as dangerous as drugs" But they are drugs. SO um... :shrug:

As for not having an opinion on alcohol as you hardly drink it... you seem to have an opinion on cannabis and you don't seem to take that either.

I would suggest you're softer on alcohol because you do occasionally partake in it and therefore don't consider it as harmful although it is for many other people.

Being pedantic yes alcohol and cigarettes are 'drugs' but to me real drugs are the illegal ones, cannibis, coke, heroin etc, which is why they are illegal. At the end of the day, they are ALL drugs but my personal belief is that cigarettes and alcohol are the lesser evil. My opinion is not wrong, it's just what i think.

Yes i have an opinion on cannibis and it's because i personally believe drugs (the illegal ones's ;) to makes that clear yet again) should be avoided, and so do the government and health professionals.

I have smoked weed many times, i went through a bad patch after being raped and it did me no good. I didn't react very well to weed. I just don't believe people should cosume drugs. And i would have said that before i had taken weed myself. The current drugs that are illegal should stay illegal, alcohol and cigarettes are the lesser evil in my opinion.

You do know that people who shoot heroine make it from legal drugs right? Just curious here, as the "Good,Legal" drugs make the bad ones, very easily...

Im not sure i understand your point here, you can use perfectly legal household items to make a bomb ... doesnt meant that they are a bad component on their own, or even as dangerous as when combined to make the end result.

I'm just stating that the legal drugs can get people hooked, then they start doing worse... the legal "good" drugs can be worse than illegal... :shrug: not in the same class as a bomb by no means, to make "heroine" you simply crush up the pill, add some water, heat and voila! No other chemicals needed. Sadly scary! My son's biological father started out that way, and he wouldn't have turned to needles etc... or had the addiction if it weren't for our highly praised, VERY addictive legal ones in which I could go to my doctor right now and get... too easily these prescriptions are handed out to people, they then become addicted... yes these medications are needed, but they are highly over prescribed.

Oh ok, so what your really trying to draw point on is that abuse of certain legal drugs often ends up in abuse of the harder illegal drugs?

Oh ok, so what your really trying to draw point on is that abuse of certain legal drugs often ends up in abuse of the harder illegal drugs?

Yes... Even the good legal drugs are bad! They have good uses, help with pain etc... but most people taking them for more than 1-2 weeks (sometimes within 1-2 days) become addicted, which can usually lead to injecting etc... I don't think by no means we should stop using these medications, as, well... we need them for a lot of people in large amounts of pain but the legal drugs can be harder to get away from than illegal.

I was going to disagree but then i was addicted to legal prescription drugs for my nerve pain and anti depressants for years, stopped them and went to illegal! but dosnt always happen. I dont take a thing now, only my inhalers. Those where bad times.

PB - most people i know smoke to expand their minds. And other substances too. Personally, i have had some of my greatest conversations when i was stoned. I remember them too, unlike nights when i was drunk ;)

AOB - just generally interested... how can you trust that the government really are doing what's best when, as you say, they won't ban alcohol or cigarettes because it makes money? If they could make money from cannabis do you think they would legalise it?

Because exactly that, they know alcohol and fags are bad but they won't make it illegal because they make so much money. The obviously think that currently the illegal drugs are too dangerous for our health to legalise .. does that make sense?

Definately, if they could make money and they would make TONS of it they would legalise it x

I don't know enough about the ins and outs of drugs to comment.

What I don't understand is how you think cigarettes and alcohol are of the "lesser evil" yet they kill so many people every year. Marijuana hasn't caused any deaths. If the health professionals think pot should be avoided then they wouldn't be prescribing them.

I feel you are dancing around in a circle. You have no new points to make about this except..."I think its bad" and "My government says No No" this IMO is very naive.

I'm sorry to hear about that rough patch in your life.

I have smoked pot for 4 years, and not once have I become irate and uncontrollable. (Minus the uncontrollable laughter or munchies!) I can tell you all the benefits and research until I'm blue in the face, but your gonna have your own opinion and make your own decisions about mary jane. I think you just need to learn to accept some people are different and we can't all be as perfect as you. :wacko:

I'll ignore your last sarcastic sentence, as it kinda puts a dampner on the point you are trying to make .. it looks like you have lost your rag you when you need to insult ;)

I'm not perfect, neither are you, and i DO accept other people are different .. i just disagree with them. Still accept people are different as that's life, doesn't mean i cant disagree with them whilst trying to respect them. I accept you do drugs, as that's your affair i just disagree with it and don't think we should do them.

I don't have new points to make at all, i have said the same things all the way through and i don't have anything to add.

If the gov/health professionals also thought they aren't that harmful they would be legal and accessible to everyone, not just prescribed behind closed doors.

I have not been brought up around drugs, my family are strict on drug use and believe drugs are not good for people. I agree with them. That's my opinion, doesn't make me more 'perfect' than anyone. An opinion cannot be wrong.

I havent read the whole thread but i will.

One point re cannabis.

Everything else aside, inhaling smoke into your lungs alone is very harmful, any doctor will tell u that.

And how would anyone know what deaths, disorders etc have been caused by cannabas use???

What I don't understand is how you think cigarettes and alcohol are of the "lesser evil" yet they kill so many people every year. Marijuana hasn't caused any deaths. If the health professionals think pot should be avoided then they wouldn't be prescribing them.

I feel you are dancing around in a circle. You have no new points to make about this except..."I think its bad" and "My government says No No" this IMO is very naive.

I'm sorry to hear about that rough patch in your life.

I have smoked pot for 4 years, and not once have I become irate and uncontrollable. (Minus the uncontrollable laughter or munchies!) I can tell you all the benefits and research until I'm blue in the face, but your gonna have your own opinion and make your own decisions about mary jane. I think you just need to learn to accept some people are different and we can't all be as perfect as you. :wacko:

I'll ignore your last sarcastic sentence, as it kinda puts a dampner on the point you are trying to make .. it looks like you have lost your rag you when you need to insult ;)

I'm not perfect, neither are you, and i DO accept other people are different .. i just disagree with them. Still accept people are different as that's life, doesn't mean i cant disagree with them whilst trying to respect them. I accept you do drugs, as that's your affair i just disagree with it and don't think we should do them.

I don't have new points to make at all, i have said the same things all the way through and i don't have anything to add.

If the gov/health professionals also thought they aren't that harmful they would be legal and accessible to everyone, not just prescribed behind closed doors.

I have not been brought up around drugs, my family are strict on drug use and believe drugs are not good for people. I agree with them. That's my opinion, doesn't make me more 'perfect' than anyone. An opinion cannot be wrong.

I obviously think everyone shoudl have an opinion and be as educated on the matter as possible and opinions MUST vary otherwise we'd be living in some dull scary world.

However what bothers me about your stance (and I'm allowed to be bothered by it I believe :flower:) is that i get the feeling when you say the above (in bold) you're talking ILLEGAL drugs. I doubt your whole family are against alcohol unless you're from any particularly religious background or your family have all had very particular bad experiences with alcohol.

You seem to deem alcohol acceptable because of it's legality not because of it's pros and cons in my opinion and therefore your language seems (if I'm right and your whole family are not jointly anti alcohol) to give away time and again that although you accept alcohol is a drug you don't actually give it drug status despite the fact that it is more harmful, more addictive and causes more people who use it to be violent than cannabis. There are also more people dying of direct alcohol poisoning than ever have died from "overdosing" on cannabis

Health professionals have opinions like anyone else as do the government. They are human. Unless there is valid research and study into the issues anyone can say anything but surely proof is more important?

But you sound like the government and the health professionals got together and had a convention where they agreed that the illegal drugs were tested and proved to be "dangerous" which isn't what happened. In fact the advisory council on the Misuse of drugs which has health professionals as well as other people among it's members has been ignored because the public don't want to hear the rational arguments and instead choose to be "outraged' and "disgusted" MOST times without ever having any knowledge or exposure to the topic at all.

I havent read the whole thread but i will.

One point re cannabis.

Everything else aside, inhaling smoke into your lungs alone is very harmful, any doctor will tell u that.

And how would anyone know what deaths, disorders etc have been caused by cannabas use???

1. You don't have to inhale smoke to consume cannabis. Hash cakes, milkshakes, happy pizza, eating the thing whole, bhang lassi are all a few ways teh world chooses to consume the drug.
2. People state smoking cannabis can me more harmful than smoking tobacco as the smokers use cigarettes without a filter. Although this can be true for some people the reality is people do not tend to smoke twenty joints a day like they do cigarettes. It's not comparing like for like.
3. In terms of direct deaths, you'd think maybe a post mortem out there somewhere would find the direct link? :shrug: They find alcohol poisoning, they find drugs in people's system which stop their hearts or do something to their bodily functions which cause them to stop.
4. If you're talking indirect causes, we're talking about legal V illegal. that is the crux of the debate. I don't think a substance such as alcohol which is more addictive, with a larger propensity to cause users to be violent and which damages your liver and also can cause direct death through alcohol poisoning should be given a pass when a drug which is not only less harmful in all those respects but which also has many positive psychoactive benefits which are well known and recorded should be deemed "terrible" or "disgusting" or "immoral" without alcohol also getting that treatment.

Out of curiosity, for everyone in this thread, what drugs both legal and illegal have you ever taken or do you regularly consume? Keeping prescription stuff aside, unless you are abusing it and are addicted.

I think it would be interesting too see from the stances on the topic from everyone :flower:

Ok PP. I drank underage but not loads and at uni I only really had one year of strong drinking (for me, definitely less than my peers). I could probably count the drinks I've had since getting pregnant with Byron on two hands. I'll certainly never drink to any excess again. I've never smoked cigarettes. When I was about 15 I tried pot a few times and was very unimpressed. It did nothing for me and it was difficult to get it with a bong (I didn't own one) and I didn't like to smoke it with tobacco. When I was 21 I had another go with some bush, it was pitiful!

I dont take any regularly although on occasion i will have a glass of wine.

Last time I had a glass was my brothers birthday the other week and I felt rather drunk on that one glass :wacko: *cough* light weight! *cough*

I hate cigarette smoke near me - have never even tried it. I tried cannabis, but only once (that I remember!) and that was years and years ago.

I'm a good girl! :lol: :winkwink:

xx

Oh that's just my very personal experience. Without partaking I've been much involved in the 'world' of pot since about 14 til about 4 years ago when I moved away from Newcastle.

Atm i smoke cigarettes daily and drink alcohol 3-4 times a week, not to get drunk, but will have a bottle of wine over dinner and whilst watching tv.

In my "youth" i went through a phase of smoking pot but i outgrew it, dabbled with ecstasy a couple of times, but my pitfall on and off over the years was cocaine, i wouldnt say i was an overly regular user, certainley not an addict, more a social user, the same as some people only smoke in social situations. I packed that in and havent touched it for around 4 years :)

So i guess now, its probably apparent why im very relaxed about the alcohol and cigarettes since they play a big part of my life. Growing up my stepfather was an alcoholic so ive always known to be responsible with when it comes to alcohol and not overdo it or push my limits

On the subject of drugs, my mum was once in Amsterdan and she was approached by a drug dealer (unknown to her :dohh:) and he asked her if she would like some coke? She said "No thank you, ive just had some" and walked away. When my dad told her what he meant she was mortified, she thought he meant the drink :rofl: :rofl:

Redpoppy do you want to see alcohol made illegal?

Well, no. But I can see why people do or would want that. I think people who are consistently acting like idiots every weekend need something done about them perhaps but I have no genius ideas in that regard. However, I don't believe in adding more legislation on most issues. We don't need race hate laws for example in my opinion to prosecute violent behaviour or inciting violent behaviour for whatever reason. I don't think we need to introduce alcohol specific laws. If someone is getting I trouble again and again they probably need help or to be incarcerated. I think (although I'm not sure) that there are enough laws to protect us in that regard.

however I do think that it's ridiculous that alcohol is legal and cannabis isn't. Despite the ridiculous nature of this fact, I till don't think legalising cannabis is the answer. Decriminalising is. As my three point scenario points out. :amartass: Although no one seems to be addressing it. :sad1:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->