importance of proper nutrition

NDH

5 on earth, 9 in heaven, 1 in utero
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of reading about good nutrition during pregnancy, and it occurred to me that there's a considerable lack of discussion of the importance of good nutrition during prenatal care (in my experience for sure at least). Lots of stressing about what not to eat, and making sure weight gain stays within certain limits, but really nothing about what we should be eating and why.

And really there needs to be a huge value placed on nutrition, because it really is so important - we're laying the foundation for our baby's future and health by what we eat. I'm actually really appalled at the lack of nutrition guidance I have received in my prior pregnancies. My drs always asked if I was taking my vitamins, but really, theyre called vitamin supplements for a reason and are meant to be supplementing the vitamins we get through a good diet, not replacing them, and not once was I ever even asked about my diet (other than being given a list of foods to avoid)

Make sure you're eating lots of healthy fats (nuts, whole milk products - no skim in pregnancy, avocado, coconut oil, etc) as its vital for brain development and good birth weight. Even if you feel you have a good diet when not pregnant, there are probably some beneficial changes you can make while pregnant.

I've been mostly looking into the Brewer diet, and even though I eat a pretty good whole foods diet normally, there are definite things I can improve on, having been reading up on the impact nutrition has on preventing complications such as pre-eclampsia, preterm labour, IUGR, etc.

And really make sure you stay hydrated. This is the one I struggle with the most, but I'm trying to up my fluids.

I hope someone finds this helpful even for making some small changes. And if anyone wants to share in the journey towards good nutrition with me! I know I could use some support and accountability too

thanks for posting this. this is my second pregnancy (miscarried my first very early) so i'm new to all of this technically. any update and guidance on what i should be eating or doing would be greatly appreciated.
i was not aware about the no skim milk. i drink skim milk with my cereal and use it in my decaf coffee. sometimes when i'm hungry at odd hours, i drink half a cup of cold milk.

in the philippines, coconut oil is very popular. they come in capsule forms and i use to take 2x a day to make me feel 'fuller', 30 mins before a meal. they are also meant to help with constipation and a smooth flowing internal system. i stopped taking them a few months ago when i started my IUI because I didn't know if they had any good/bad effects. do you suggest i can take 1 capsule a day if youre saying its good for the baby? :)

Glad to see a post like this! I tend eat really healthy and be active outside of pregnancy and normally I make sure everything is 100 % perfect during TTC and pregnancy. This is my first pregnancy to crave junk food... normally vanilla icecream or chocolate mixed with peanut butter. I agree with you. Slightly off topic but goes slightly with your doctor comment. I had HG with one of my sons, it was severe. One sly movement and I was severely sick.. I was weak and I couldn't move without getting violently sick so imagine when it came to food and fluids. I was extremely concerned with my baby, not only was I so sick I could barely keep any food or fluid down but I had dropped 25 pounds in first trimester and I was in the normal weight when I got pregnant. He just told me to keep eating anyways even if I got sick and take my vitamins. I quickly fixed that and found a new doctor. And then secondly, I like eating healthy for a number of reasons BUT because of my history, especially recurrent pprom I am constantly researching ways to help decrease my chance. I have done everything I could and can. Unlike my other pregnancies, I have allowed myself to have some not so healthy choice (like a small bowl of icecream) here and there. I am currently struggling with fluids as well, it's what makes me sick currently!!

Very good post indeed to keep this in mind. I struggle with eating healthy and making good choices while at work. I need to start researching more of things that I should be eating and incorporate into my daily diet. I have been very sick with no cravings and super tired, therefore no exercise. I'm overweight and need to eat healthy and exercise ... I just need to sit and organize my time, eating and get into a daily routine.

thanks for posting this. this is my second pregnancy (miscarried my first very early) so i'm new to all of this technically. any update and guidance on what i should be eating or doing would be greatly appreciated.
i was not aware about the no skim milk. i drink skim milk with my cereal and use it in my decaf coffee. sometimes when i'm hungry at odd hours, i drink half a cup of cold milk.

in the philippines, coconut oil is very popular. they come in capsule forms and i use to take 2x a day to make me feel 'fuller', 30 mins before a meal. they are also meant to help with constipation and a smooth flowing internal system. i stopped taking them a few months ago when i started my IUI because I didn't know if they had any good/bad effects. do you suggest i can take 1 capsule a day if youre saying its good for the baby? :)

Coconut oil does have a lot of other health benefits, and I think its a good way to increase healthy fat intake for sure. I'm not sure about the capsule form as I haven't heard of them before. I certainly would be cautious of them making you feel fuller though, during pregnancy, because its important to get most of your nutrition from food, so you want to feel hungry so you eat small meals more often.

Glad to see a post like this! I tend eat really healthy and be active outside of pregnancy and normally I make sure everything is 100 % perfect during TTC and pregnancy. This is my first pregnancy to crave junk food... normally vanilla icecream or chocolate mixed with peanut butter. I agree with you. Slightly off topic but goes slightly with your doctor comment. I had HG with one of my sons, it was severe. One sly movement and I was severely sick.. I was weak and I couldn't move without getting violently sick so imagine when it came to food and fluids. I was extremely concerned with my baby, not only was I so sick I could barely keep any food or fluid down but I had dropped 25 pounds in first trimester and I was in the normal weight when I got pregnant. He just told me to keep eating anyways even if I got sick and take my vitamins. I quickly fixed that and found a new doctor. And then secondly, I like eating healthy for a number of reasons BUT because of my history, especially recurrent pprom I am constantly researching ways to help decrease my chance. I have done everything I could and can. Unlike my other pregnancies, I have allowed myself to have some not so healthy choice (like a small bowl of icecream) here and there. I am currently struggling with fluids as well, it's what makes me sick currently!!

I dont think there's any thing wrong with having treats now and then either. There are healthier options one can always plan accordingly for as well. Like when I want ice cream, I blend up frozen bananas or other fruit, or make coconut milk ice cream if I plan ahead enough (rare these days :haha:). I do try to satisfy junk food cravings with homemade alternatives at least, where possible.

Very good post indeed to keep this in mind. I struggle with eating healthy and making good choices while at work. I need to start researching more of things that I should be eating and incorporate into my daily diet. I have been very sick with no cravings and super tired, therefore no exercise. I'm overweight and need to eat healthy and exercise ... I just need to sit and organize my time, eating and get into a daily routine.

Organization is pretty key to hearing healthy I've found - one of my weaknesses lol. I am so unorganized, but really need to put in better effort on that front so I know I'm eating enough of the right foods.

Agree...great post! I constantly feel like a bad mom already because I haven't been eating as healthy as I should be. Right now I need to eat what stays down, which isn't much. I'll try to be good and have an apple for breakfast but it comes back up. The last two days I've had Chinese, which really isn't as bad as it could be as its packed with veggies, but I still feel bad. At least I'm not eating junk food. Sugar makes me so sick so I stay away from it completely. I also am able to keep a meal replacement shake down so I usually drink that for breakfast these days. Bonus as it's organic

At this point it really is about survival hey? I think try to incorporate small changes at least, but eat what you can keep down and try not to beat yourself up about it. When energy levels increase in second tri and most people start feeling better incorporate healthier foods then :flower:

:

I do as well!! I just tried a banana peanut butter one and pumpkin one :D

oh yum will add pb next time. i usually do vanilla paste or cacao. not so sure about pumpkin though lol

Great post! When I first found out we were pregnant I read so many articles and made pre packed snacks and tried to hit all my food groups with special attention to super foods that repeatedly got mentioned...but then the m/s went from mild to more severe and I was fighting just to keep food down. I went with whatever wouldn't come back up. Now I've got a better handle on m/s I'm eating again and really need to get back in my eating healthy routine. I couldn't agree more that its so important for baby and why wouldn't I do everything in my power for a healthy baby. Thanks again for the reminder!

Agree good post. I don't take prenatal vitamins (apart from folic acid). I eat a healthy diet and my husband is a biochemical scientist. He took a look at my prenatals last time and asked me not to take them as some of the levels can be excessive If they are already in your diet. He also didn't like how it's all in chemical form, much better to get these vitamins from food.

Yes so true. The vitamins in their whole state are so much better than synthetic ones. There are a couple of brands of vitamins that are derived from whole foods rather than synthesized chemicals, but still better to get them from eating a good diet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->